I can play the solo - but not at full speed. The last part is hard to play quickly - I can only play it at about 70 percent speed. Any tips on how to best play this? Maybe I'm missing out on something that would make it easier.

e--------------------|-12-12-------15-15p12--15--14-------12h15p12-----|
b--------15-15p12----|-------15p12------------------15--15---------15b-|
g--14p12----------14-|-------------------------------------------------|
d--------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
a--------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
e--------------------|-------------------------------------------------|

e------12-----------12----------12-----------12-------|
b--15b----15p12-------15p12-15b----15p12--------15p12-|
g---------------14-----------------------14b----------|
d-----------------------------------------------------|
a-----------------------------------------------------|
e-----------------------------------------------------|

e-----12--------12---------12----------12-----15-15b(2)--15~-12h15p12--12|
b--15b--15p12-----15p12-15b--15p12---12--15p12-----------------------15--|
g------------14b------------------14b------------------------------------|
d------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a------------------------------------------------------------------------|
e------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e-----12------------------------------------------------------||
b--15b--15p12-14b-14rb-12-14b--15-----------------------------||
g---------------------------------14b-14rb12--14p12-------12/-||
d-------------------------------------------14------14--------||
a-------------------------------------------------------------||
e-------------------------------------------------------------||
play it with a metronome, play it slowly perfectly, speed it up a wee bit each time you can get it perfect until you're playing at full speed. Timing and phrasing is more important than anything else in getting the sound right.
I've never learned a solo like that, just seemed pointless.

Slash has style, ofcorse it's going to be hard to immitate it by just reading the notes
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I've never learned a solo like that, just seemed pointless.

Slash has style, ofcorse it's going to be hard to immitate it by just reading the notes

learned a solo like what, how I said? it's only really necessary if you're playing something that's out of your ability.
Quote by farcry
learned a solo like what, how I said? it's only really necessary if you're playing something that's out of your ability.
Something fast and difficult that even Slash probably (mostly) improvised and doesn't play the same way twice.

Farcry has the right idea. Play along with a metronome at a slow speed such that you play flawlessly. Gradually work your way up, retaining phrasing and accuracy, until you can play it at the proper tempo, maybe even a bit faster as song are generally rushed during concerts.
Quote by farcry
play it with a metronome, play it slowly perfectly, speed it up a wee bit each time you can get it perfect until you're playing at full speed. Timing and phrasing is more important than anything else in getting the sound right.

My top speed is about 70 percent of full speed. I have been practicing it at about 45 percent of full speed, when do you know it's ok to raise your practice speed? I get really bored with practicing so slow.
Quote by pos69sum
My top speed is about 70 percent of full speed. I have been practicing it at about 45 percent of full speed, when do you know it's ok to raise your practice speed? When you can play the lick flawlessly. I get really bored with practicing so slow. You will.
The bold is me.

You may have to move up by 1 bpm at a time. This is fine, but yes, it will get boring. It's a great solo to be able to play for your friends, though.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The bold is me.

You may have to move up by 1 bpm at a time. This is fine, but yes, it will get boring. It's a great solo to be able to play for your friends, though.

Here's my problem-

I can play it flawlessly at 45 percent of full speed, I can play it flawlessly at 65 percent of full speed. But if I play it faster than 65/66 percent, I make mistakes.

If I practice at 45 percent, it is very boring. If I practice at 65 percent, I don't improve.
Quote by pos69sum
My top speed is about 70 percent of full speed. I have been practicing it at about 45 percent of full speed, when do you know it's ok to raise your practice speed? I get really bored with practicing so slow.

well, it really works best if you can record yourself so you can hear what you sound like. You can speed up when the phrasing sounds right, what I mean by this is that you can play the right notes without any screwups and play the right tempo, but you have to give the notes the right phrasing to make it sound right or else it just sounds like a bunch of random notes that aren't really a song, get the feeling down first then slowly speed it up by 5-10 bps.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q4aysaZzHKU

^this guy has pretty good phrasing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q4aysaZzHKU

^^no offence to this guy, but it's obviously not as good
Quote by farcry

no, I mean play exactly the same notes slash is playing,

If I were to want to cover that song, if there was any part i'd like to add my own style to it would be the guitar solo.

My statement was just saying I don't think learning slash solo's note for note and having no idea WHY he's playing what he's playing won't turn you into a better musician.. theres other things you should be doing with your time.. not that you'll listen to me, just my 2 cents.

Farcy does have the correct answer to your question though, as everyone has said.. you can increase your speed to play those licks by practicing over a metronome daily.. but you'll probably use bad technique in the process and maybe even slow yourself down in the long run getting stuck playing other peoples solos all the time
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
no, I mean play exactly the same notes slash is playing,

If I were to want to cover that song, if there was any part i'd like to add my own style to it would be the guitar solo.

My statement was just saying I don't think learning slash solo's note for note and having no idea WHY he's playing what he's playing won't turn you into a better musician.. theres other things you should be doing with your time.. not that you'll listen to me, just my 2 cents.

Farcy does have the correct answer to your question though, as everyone has said.. you can increase your speed to play those licks by practicing over a metronome daily.. but you'll probably use bad technique in the process and maybe even slow yourself down in the long run getting stuck playing other peoples solos all the time

you're in the wrong thread. i'm not learning it note for note - just in the general vicinity of what he's playing, i add my own phrasing here and there but i still can't get it at the right tempo. and i know why slash is playing what he's playing, it's just licks based off the penatonic scale.
Quote by pos69sum
you're in the wrong thread. i'm not learning it note for note - just in the general vicinity of what he's playing, i add my own phrasing here and there but i still can't get it at the right tempo. and i know why slash is playing what he's playing, it's just licks based off the penatonic scale.

well if that were the case you should be able to get close enough to his sound without looking it up, i'm not trying to sound like an asshole.. please don't get all offended.

you're already in the general "vicinity", the penatonic only has 5 notes-
Quote by Peaceful Rocker

You assume a lot. I do a lot of ear training, theory, improv and exercises too.
i'm not saying you don't, keep it up.

i just look @ that tab and sort of laugh to myself at anyone who would try and learn it, it would probably take me a while to memorize it
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
i'm not saying you don't, keep it up.

i just look @ that tab and sort of laugh to myself at anyone who would try and learn it, it would probably take me a while to memorize it

you get a lot better the more you practice. and it can definitely help when there is wah and distortion, not to say ear training isn't important, but tabs definitely aren't useless.
I still think it's a bad approach to getting better at leads

I don't think tabs are useless either, first things I learned how to play on the guitar I learned through tabliture.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I still think it's a bad approach to getting better at leads

I don't think tabs are useless either, first things I learned how to play on the guitar I learned through tabliture.

The nice thing with learning solos, is that you can practise something at your ability, and be able to play an entire song along with the CD. Many of us cannot play all the songs we want with our bands, and we would rather learn a challenging solo in an easy song, than learn a challenging song, but play rhythm under the solo.

Its all a matter of preference, and yours seems quite different from mine.
if you're interested in playing in cover band forever, then our preferences are different.

If you want to suceed as a guitarist with creativity, then we don't.