Poll: which should I get
Poll Options
View poll results: which should I get
Zune
46 53%
Ipod
40 47%
Voters: 86.
Which one should I get? I'm discovering a lot of music and this 1gb mp3 player I have isn't gonna cut it anymore. I've heard a lot of good things about the zune. But I'm not sure which to get. What do you guys think?
I have a first generation Zune and I love it personally, it can get pretty loud and no obnoxiously loud like the iPod and the new one has improved battery life, plus it looks really cool, and the interfaces are really nice and user friendly, plus if you know how you can change them, I love mine, I never had a problem with mine.
Quote by Eric 666
I have a first generation Zune and I love it personally, it can get pretty loud and no obnoxiously loud like the iPod and the new one has improved battery life, plus it looks really cool, and the interfaces are really nice and user friendly, plus if you know how you can change them, I love mine, I never had a problem with mine.

Now comeon... Taking shots at how loud they go? They both have volume buttons you know.

Well, it really depends, don't listen to all the haters who say "iPods suck they always break" because that's not true. You will hear down talk to Zunes too, really though... How much space do you need? See I got a 160 gig iPod because I have 100 gigs of music and 40 gigs of movies, otherwise I would have considered getting a zune. They don't sell them here anyways. Go to a store and look at them, ask questions and see which one appeals to you more. A few hundred dollars isn't the end of the world, and if you get warranty the product can last you that much longer.
ipod is awesome ness
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
iPods ftw!
Make a poll.

EDIT: nevermind.. the poll magically appeared

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
-votes for Zune mindlessly-
-goes to look at my MP3 player-

Oh...crap.

Mine's actually a Zen by Creative. It's actually really really good though
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I would suggest something by creative personally.

Agreed. Go for the ZEN Vision W; it's everything a Zune/iPod is.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by AthenasGhost
Now comeon... Taking shots at how loud they go? They both have volume buttons you know.

Well, it really depends, don't listen to all the haters who say "iPods suck they always break" because that's not true. You will hear down talk to Zunes too, really though... How much space do you need? See I got a 160 gig iPod because I have 100 gigs of music and 40 gigs of movies, otherwise I would have considered getting a zune. They don't sell them here anyways. Go to a store and look at them, ask questions and see which one appeals to you more.

when honestly when you turn up an iPod all the way it gets distorted and it sounds like ****, and I find it that it adds extra bass to it, like those old CD players that have the Xtra bass boost...Oh god...but yeah, and the Zune doesnt do that, it gets loud, but it doesnt distort, maybe slightly, but not much.

Also the Zune has an AM/FM radio with preset stations from America, Europe and Asia, which I find pretty interesting.
Quote by Eric 666
when honestly when you turn up an iPod all the way it gets distorted and it sounds like ****, and I find it that it adds extra bass to it, like those old CD players that have the Xtra bass boost...Oh god...but yeah, and the Zune doesnt do that, it gets loud, but it doesnt distort, maybe slightly, but not much.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that has to do with earphones. Bad quality earphones, bad quality music.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i got zune cause interface is orgasm to my eyes, and software is easier to use than itunes. plus 30g is only 200$ brand new
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
Quote by wfbrady09

sigged!
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

Quote by myself101
Uh, I'm pretty sure that has to do with earphones. Bad quality earphones, bad quality music.

Nope, I did a side by side comparison with my friend Vince's iPod and my Zune player, with the same headphones (some Sony's that go over your ear) and my Zune sounded better at maximum volume than the iPod did, and it wasn't distorted.
Quote by Spay
-votes for Zune mindlessly-
-goes to look at my MP3 player-

Oh...crap.

Mine's actually a Zen by Creative. It's actually really really good though

Had one of those for 4 years-ish, and then it died-- but seeing as iPods are practically designed to fall apart in 2 years or less I thought that was pretty damn good. I now own a 30 GB Zune, the only complaint I have is that I have to use iTunes to download any music because the Zune Marketplace will not allow my login. It's merely an inconvenience though.

*And yes, I have a login, I have Windows Live OneCare, so... I've made it before.

Quote by Eric 666
Nope, I did a side by side comparison with my friend Vince's iPod and my Zune player, with the same headphones (some Sony's that go over your ear) and my Zune sounded better at maximum volume than the iPod did, and it wasn't distorted.

How old were the two you compared to one another? I assume the Zune was a newer design than the iPod you compared it to, and that would include a technological bias.

Though, the Zune dock is superb, it doesn't go too loud, but you get an amazing bass quality. It includes the equivalent of a subwoofer without actually having a physical subwoofer in it.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Last edited by hethamulburton at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Eric 666

Well I didn't because I own good headphones and my iPod sounds crystal clear in them.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i carry around a giant 8-track player and some speakers......not an ipod
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

I'm looking into the 80gb Zune

That should be more then enough and I can put a few movies in there so I all I need now is $250
Quote by hethamulburton
Had one of those for 4 years-ish, and then it died-- but seeing as iPods are practically designed to fall apart in 2 years or less I thought that was pretty damn good. I now own a 30 GB Zune, the only complaint I have is that I have to use iTunes to download any music because the Zune Marketplace will not allow my login. It's merely an inconvenience though.

*And yes, I have a login, I have Windows Live OneCare, so... I've made it before.

How old were the two you compared to one another? I assume the Zune was a newer design than the iPod you compared it to, and that would include a technological bias.

Though, the Zune dock is superb, it doesn't go too loud, but you get an amazing bass quality. It includes the equivalent of a subwoofer without actually having a physical subwoofer in it.

You need a special program for Zune like you do for the Ipod?
Quote by giantsfanftw
I'm looking into the 80gb Zune

That should be more then enough and I can put a few movies in there so I all I need now is $250

Well, I put 41 music videos on my 30 GB and it took less space than 1 full album of music.

Good luck filling that behemoth up.

Quote by giantsfanftw
You need a special program for Zune like you do for the Ipod?

It comes with the Zune interface software. It essentially works with your Windows Media Player. Though, you can download through the Zune Marketplace, but unfortunately I can't login to the Marketplace. And the pricing is weird-- it costs 79 Microsoft points to download a song, and I am currently unaware as to what that means in terms of dollars and cents.

How much space on the HD do you need? Do you plan to watch videos? How much do you want to spend? Does sound quality matter to you? Does the size of the player matter?

Theres like a million other mp3 players out there besides Ipod and Zune anyway and they might fit your needs better.
okay here is my review of the Ipod and the zune and why i chose to switch from ipod to Zune

i
The ipod is a little more portable and the store has a bigger selection. the downside to the store is that it has compatibility issues to where you are stuck viewing your media bought from it on ither itunes or your ipod. also the ipod has a smaller selection of tydpes of files that are compatible with.

i bought a Zune because i have 1300+ songs and on itunes it said only 800 were compatible with Ipod. on the Zune player only 20-30 songs were not compatible but those were not compatible with itunes either.
also only half of my pictures would go on the ipod and ALL of my pictures went on the zune.
not to mention videos. none of my videos would fit on the ipod and all a few would fit on the Zune. and anything i see on the net that says "download for ipod" also works for my zune.
i also like the wireless feature. i can sync my content from my computer wirelessly and it is fun to swap songs with other zune users.
also i love how large the screen is on the zune it is great for bus rides you can watch a whole concert or movie and it is bearable to at least enjoy watching the video. sure it's not watching it on a 52" plasma but it beats watching it on an ipod display for sure.

Ipod:
-small screen
-less file types
-small screen
+"fun" spin wheel
+more portable
+easyer to get movies/tv shows
-more features you have to pay for
-More expensive

Zune
+more compatible ( it can read anything an ipod can and much more such as WMV files)
+BIGGER SCREEN
+Wireless for syncing, viewing what other zune users are listening to/watching, and shareing files
+software is slightly better layed out and runs as a decent media player you can burn CDs rip CDs with as well.
+touch pad you can disable to default to buttons.
+easyer to customize your own background (any moron can do it)
+better battery life (ive had bolth i know)
+when you plug in your zune it does not wipe it's hard drive and replace it with you cureent collection. (this allows you to plug your zune into all of your friend's computers and get thier music/pictures/videos too
+AM/FM RADIO WITH PRESETS
-cant buy movies or TV showsfor it you have to special softwtware to transfer movies you own on DVD to your zune
-less protable
-less products similer to IHOME stereo/alarm clocks available for zune
-you have to make playlists on your PC you can not make them on the fly while you are are out and about
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Jan 30, 2008,
[quote="it it costs 79 Microsoft points to download a song, and I am currently unaware as to what that means in terms of dollars and cents.[/QUOTE"]

79points=99cents
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Can't I just use limewire or torrents for the zune?

No way in hell I'm paying for music. If I have to use that special program forget it.
Quote by giantsfanftw

No way in hell I'm paying for music. If I have to use that special program forget it.

Do not use Limewire.

It'll cost you more than buying music one day. I don't mean getting caught, even though that's a possibility-- I'm talking the wonderful extras that come with your Limewire downloads: namely viruses and spyware. But yes, the Zune will convert anything you rip into your Windows Media Player into .mp3 and will be ready for syncing.

Quote by Emergancy Exit
79points=99cents

Is 99 cents like copyright infringement on iTunes?

"Oop, they are already using American currency, we'll have to make a new form of currency to mean the same thing."

Quote by giantsfanftw

of course! I'm assuming all of your stolen music is mp3 right? Either the ipod or zune plays mp3s. Just throw them in your library and it syncs them.
pick the zune. i have the first generation one and i frickin love it. i first owned two ipods and sold them because i just didnt like apples direction of the ipod. i feel the zune was better planned with the custom backgrounds, wifi, radio, bigger screen, etc. im thinking of selling my 30 gb zune for a 8gb one now.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
Ipod:
-small screen 1
-less file types 2
+"fun" spin wheel
+more portable
+easyer to get movies/tv shows
-more features you have to pay for
-More expensive 3

Zune
+more compatible ( it can read anything an ipod can and much more such as WMV files) 2
+BIGGER SCREEN 1
+Wireless for syncing, viewing what other zune users are listening to/watching, and shareing files
+software is slightly better layed out and runs as a decent media player you can burn CDs rip CDs with as well. 4
+touch pad you can disable to default to buttons.
+easyer to customize your own background (any moron can do it)
+better battery life (ive had bolth i know) 5
+when you plug in your zune it does not wipe it's hard drive and replace it with you cureent collection. (this allows you to plug your zune into all of your friend's computers and get thier music/pictures/videos too 6
+AM/FM RADIO WITH PRESETS
-cant buy movies or TV showsfor it you have to special softwtware to transfer movies you own on DVD to your zune
-less protable
-less products similer to IHOME stereo/alarm clocks available for zune
-you have to make playlists on your PC you can not make them on the fly while you are are out and about

1. The Zune screen is barely larger than the iPod one, and they are the same resolution, so the smaller iPod screen will produce a better quality picture.

2. For music files, iTunes should automatically convert your files to the file type of your choice (selectable in the options, .m4a or .mp3 or AAC or some others or something) that are all compatible with iTunes. This, in my opinion, makes the "media player x supports more filetypes!" argument void, because it takes no extra effort for you to convert your files to one the iPod can read. For video files, there are a plethora of free file converters that you can use to change file types.

3. 80 GB Zune = $250, 80 GB iPod Classic = $250. Same price. iPods aren't more expensive anymore.

4. Software is ALL personal preference. Personally, I love iTunes, I find it incredibly simple and easy to use, however I absolutely hate Windows Media Player.

5. Both have an estimated 30 hours music playback. Zune has estimated 4 hours video playback, iPod 5. (For the 80 GB, for the 160 GB music and video are estimated 40 hours and 7 hours respectively)

6. You can do that with an iPod too. It's called manual update.
The software for the Zune totally ruined it for me. Also really awesome features that get totally gimped was frustrating. The Zune is a cool little device with lots of potential, but I really think microsoft dropped the ball. I also didn't really enjoy the regular iPod to be honest. The iPod touch has been perfect though.

Anyways, I would just go with the iPod, like I said the Zune software killed my zune experience.
I have the 80 gb Zune, and it's a beaut. But it's really personal preference. The constant iPod vs. Zune war pisses me off.