Ok, so I have a 67' Gibson SG Junior in really good condition. i would say 8.5/10. Now, I want to play it soooo bad, but am not sure if I will stick with guitar and dont want to ruin any of the hardware in the learning process.

So...here is the question. Should I sell the guitar? I will probably get between 2k-3.5k...im not really sure. If I sell the guitar, I would get a cheap epiphone and just learn on that until I get better and buy a new guitar with the money from the sale.

I really dont know what to do... can anyone give me some advice?

My head isn't clear right now.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
where the hell did you get this guitar from?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Do not sell it!!! no matter what your regret it!
just check out some cheep starter guitars.
yeah, whatever you do DO NOT sell that. That's freakin' insurance right there! Unless you end up hitting financial trouble farther on down the road, don't sell it. and even then.....

And, well, as long as it stays in the house, I don't see a problem in learning on it. Might not want to gig with it, due to the value.

But, also, what sort of guitar are you looking for if you still want a new one? Like, what kind of music are you learning?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
1) My dad bought one when he was a teenager. He probably hasnt used it in like 33-35 years.

2) Well. I just dont want to replace parts in the future, like the frets and stuff. Also. I am not confident in taking care of it. For instance, I just noticed some of the finish was dull. i tried rubbing it off thinking it was oil, but nope...nothing. Its just matt. You can only see it with direct light and focusing on it.

3)I'm learning blues and rock mostly. i.e. Jimi Hendrix, eric clapton, led zeppelin, santana, a little metallica.

Anyways, what would you do? Play it and replace parts as time goes on, showcase it, or sell it?

Those are my options...
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
It's good that you are so concerned for the well being of the guitar. You should definitely keep it, especially since it was your dad's. But maybe you should look into a starter guitar to learn on, just to be safe. I say just get an epiphone G400 or something.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
How much would replacing frets affect the value of the guitar?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by Schneiderman
It's good that you are so concerned for the well being of the guitar. You should definitely keep it, especially since it was your dad's. But maybe you should look into a starter guitar to learn on, just to be safe. I say just get an epiphone G400 or something.

Agreed. That said, its going to have more value now in mint condition, and if you don't sell now, you're going to be in it for the long haul, as the guitar market is on the verge of crashing. So if you're going to sell, you need to make up your mind on it, though if you do deceive to wait, remember you'll be in it for the long haul, and it could take years for the value to bounce back, but once it does it will likely become worth more than it is now. Really, its your call. If you were to sell it, I would take it with me to some guitar shows (Bee 3 Vintage, the big one they have down in Texas I think in Dallas are good choices) as you'll likely get top dollar if you shop it around to people there. I would then split the money 50/50 on a good guitar/amp combo.

EDIT: Just saw your most recent post. Probably impact it by a couple hundred, as people are obsessive about that stuff.
Don't sell it dude.... you'll regret it. Just get a cheapo starter guitar and practice on that and every now and then fire the Gibson up for inspiration. You'll soon be good enough to play it and happy you didn't lose it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
I saw your other post, you seem overly concerned about replacing frets. What condition are they in now? First of all, frets on a high quality guitar take a while to wear out. Also, when they do start showing wear, you can have them crowned before needing them replaced. When you finally do get them replaced it is not going to drastically affect the value of the guitar. And, if I were in your position, I would have no intention of ever selling that guitar anyway.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Damn...there are some good replies in this thread. You all are really helping me make up my mind.

Here are some pics of the matt finish

Here you can see it on the right side of the picture where the light is shining:

You can see it again here:

Does anyone know why its dull like that?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by hot4teacher
ts are up for the idea of buying a starter?

Ya i think so. Maybe like an epiphone dot studio or something lol...big drop
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Keep it and buy a cheaper guitar until you feel comfortable using the SG. Forget the money man, it comes and goes, how often can you own a piece of musical history? A piece of musical history that may one day inspire you to make musical history of your own!
Don't sell it. That is one NICE SG though. I don't even really like SG's with whammy's. I do like SGs though and this one is really nice.

This is rare, and expensive!
It may be dull due to dirt and grime, as my Jackson could get like that on the upper arm rest. Go over it with the Fender/Maguires Cleaning kit, and it should clean up sweet!
I think I'm going to keep it then.

My dad just told me to pass it down to my son (awwwwwwwwwww...)

I can't argue against that lol

*plays Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man*
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Last edited by gruenburger at Jan 30, 2008,
If you sell it ill have to kill you! thats my dream gutiar rite there. Dont feel bad if it gets dings and stuff its vintage, yes, but just play it around the house. Dont worry about frets its a Quality guitar and they will last a loong time. It wont affect your resale value anyways.

PS. if you want a beginner guitar ill trade you my squier strat for it >_>
Quote by guitarbite.fire
If you sell it ill have to kill you! thats my dream gutiar rite there. Dont feel bad if it gets dings and stuff its vintage, yes, but just play it around the house. Dont worry about frets its a Quality guitar and they will last a loong time. It wont affect your resale value anyways.

PS. if you want a beginner guitar ill trade you my squier strat for it >_>

SOLD!
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Noice! Don't sell it (unless you absolutely have to!), don't polish it. Nitro lacquers can dull a bit with age but the more you polish the duller it will get. You actually end up removing the finish. It IS a bit much for a starter guitar but that's a problem we all wish we had! If you're careful with it, it will be a fine guitar to learn on but it would make more sense and be more fun to play something cheaper for a while until you get used to handling a guitar. It's nice to be able to leave the guitar out on it's stand where you can pick it up at any time to run through a scale or a song. Later you'll be able to make a better decision about keeping this one or not.
Quote by gruenburger
I think I'm going to keep it then.

My dad just told me to pass it down to my son (awwwwwwwwwww...)

I can't argue against that lol

*plays Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man*

Something like that becomes worth more than what money can buy.

If you sell it, know that it can never, ever be replaced.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Just think how much its going to be worth in 10, 20 or 40 years more. Plus its lovely and I dont even care for gibsons.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Quote by wildyoda2
Noice! Don't sell it (unless you absolutely have to!), don't polish it. Nitro lacquers can dull a bit with age but the more you polish the duller it will get. You actually end up removing the finish. It IS a bit much for a starter guitar but that's a problem we all wish we had! If you're careful with it, it will be a fine guitar to learn on but it would make more sense and be more fun to play something cheaper for a while until you get used to handling a guitar. It's nice to be able to leave the guitar out on it's stand where you can pick it up at any time to run through a scale or a song. Later you'll be able to make a better decision about keeping this one or not.

Polish ruins the finish?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
TS, no matter which guitar you get, the frets will wear out. If the guitar is high quality then it will take longer. And I told you before, doesn't matter if you are good or not, the frets will still wear out. And you can get the guitar re fretted for less than 200. Which IMHO is worth less than sentimental values.
Ive seen it a couple times and im wondering wat TS and FTW mean?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets