Hey dudes i need some help, today i bought an akg d5 vocal mic from a local music store. I returned home excitedly only to find that when I plugged it into my amp I got no sound at all. I thought at first it could be the cable I was using, so I tried a different one, both didn't work. Then I thought to myself can I run this mic through into a guitar amp, a presumed i could but can i?
or did I get a buggered up mic? any help would be greatly appreciated
A guitar amp should at least get some sound, but it's not a PA amp, so don't expect it to get great sound for vocals, and don't expect it to handle guitar and vocals at once. One would be garbled due to signal interference. (been there done that...)

But it should at least get a sound, if it has cord with a 1/4" jack. I'm assuming it does, since you got it to plug into a guitar amp...XLR plugs won't fit, they need an impedance adapter. I use an adapter with my mics to test them when I have to resolder cables, with an impedance adapter they work fine through my Fender Champ, or the other guitar amps. A mic with just a cable with a 1/4" jack built in should work without an adapter. If that's the type, take it back and try it on one of their PA systems.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jan 30, 2008,
sounds like you got a bum mic.

You can run it into your guitar amp.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
thanks dudes, yeah i kinda knew i should be able to plug it into my guitar amp, and i know its not gonna be fabulous for vocals but it should be good enough, i used the cords i had from previous mics that died, so i think i am gonna go give em a talking to tomorrow
I didn't think about phantom power, that could be an issue too. I just did a bit of Googling and checked at AKG, nothing there about phantom power.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by deathmetallover
Hey dudes i need some help, today i bought an akg d5 vocal mic from a local music store. I returned home excitedly only to find that when I plugged it into my amp I got no sound at all. I thought at first it could be the cable I was using, so I tried a different one, both didn't work. Then I thought to myself can I run this mic through into a guitar amp, a presumed i could but can i?
or did I get a buggered up mic? any help would be greatly appreciated

you need to run a mic - preamp - guitar input but you will get cruddy sounds using a guitar amp as a PA.
Even a lower end $500ish PA would sound better.

If you can find a Behringer KX1200 they are great PA amps and I keep one in my studio.
They are not made anymore so look for a used one on ebay or in the local listings.

The AKG D5 is a dynamic mic and doesn't need phantom power for work.
This adapter must be used to get it to the amp if you run it direct to your guitar amp without a preamp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Recorder-Technologies-XLR-Female-to-14-Male-Mono-Adapter?sku=339523
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 30, 2008,
Yeah man, i already have two cords with that same connection type from cheaper microphones i have purchased in the past, i'm no mic wiz but i assume they would still work for this mic, which is why i thought that maybe i just got a buggered microphone.