o.k. so i've had this macbook for about a half a year now and it's been working perfectly.

until now.

this morning it was working fine so i turned it off, and went to school with it. i was in the library and i turned it on and it made the "diinnnng" noise and you could see the apple and the little loading thing and it stayed like that for like 5 minutes. i restarted the computer and the same thing happened.

so later on today was at a a friends house and i turned it on and waited a little longer and it went to the bluescreen. (i called support and he asked me if i had the install CD with me and i didn't so he said wait until you get home and then call back once you have the cd. it's not too late to call them) now i put in the CD, turned it on and i held the D button and i did the hardware test thing and it said there was nothing wrong.

so i restarted it again and then i pressed the C button and i went to the apple OS X installation program. now i am REALLY nervous that since i got into that, then all of my stuff is erased. i had a ton of music and pictures and probably about 70 Cd's that i borrowed from other people and put that music onto my computer.

so my question is: since i (accidentely got onto the istallation program for OS X does that mean that everything in my hard drive is gone? keep in mind that i did not reinstall it. i just restarted the computer once i saw that.

right now i am doing the extended hardware test which takes an hour or so (i started it about 20 minutes ago)

if this has happened to you, what did you do and how did you fix it? i won't have any time tomorrow to call them (i'm in college and everyday is a busy day) and it would be nice to get my computer up and running again as soon as possible.

i have mac OS 10.4.9

thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for your help
Your stuff should still be intact if you didn't reinstall.

You could boot off CD and then copy your files to an external drive or something like that.

Also if AHT passes you might try opening up Disk Utility and doing Repair Permissions.

-SD
yeah back up the drive and reinstall OS then recopy your files.

take it to the Apple Store, so that they'll do it for you and maybe fix it more easily.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
try this.....hold the t button i think (or some other button) & it will turn your macbook into a 'jump drive' & you should be able to search all your files and atleast you'll be able to get your stuff off if it comes to that & make a backup
youre fine
go into the installation screen again, and choose archive and install. it may be in one of the menus, i dont remember.
this saves all your stuff but re-installs os (at least thats how its explained to me)
beware, this will eat up about 5-10 gig.
As long as you didn't format your hard drive you should be okay.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SilentDeftone
Your stuff should still be intact if you didn't reinstall.

You could boot off CD and then copy your files to an external drive or something like that.

Also if AHT passes you might try opening up Disk Utility and doing Repair Permissions.

-SD

what do you mean boot off of the CD? how do i do it?

i would copy them to an external hard drive but OS X won't even start up. i can't browse my computer to move the files.

thanks everyone for your input. i really appreciate it
Wait... you were in the library? lol just kidding...

I would get a pro to fix it
Cheers

Strum a chord
"I would rather be hated for something I am, then Loved for something I am Not" - Kurt Cobain

My Gear..
Black SEGOVIA Cut-away modle
.60mm Dunlope Picks
YES I KNOW THAT I HAVE VERY LIMITED GEAR..
yes actually thats the best way, it will save time and not require external HD you may not have...

+97 to led out
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
MAc's have all these crazy tricks and what not. Boot it up, and it probably won't have installed OSX again, and hit Apple+Option+Control+8
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Strum a chord
Wait... you were in the library? lol just kidding...

I would get a pro to fix it

haha. i think i might do that if i can't fix it tonight. i was just talking to a friend from school and he told me to take it to the I.T. at school. i have a friend there that knows allot about macs so i'm sure he can help me
Quote by ozzybob
what do you mean boot off of the CD? how do i do it?

i would copy them to an external hard drive but OS X won't even start up. i can't browse my computer to move the files.

thanks everyone for your input. i really appreciate it

Hold 'c' while you start up the computer.

-SD
Quote by GettintheLedout
youre fine
go into the installation screen again, and choose archive and install. it may be in one of the menus, i dont remember.
this saves all your stuff but re-installs os (at least thats how its explained to me)
beware, this will eat up about 5-10 gig.

i'm not saying i disagree with your idea, but i was reading in the manual and it says that i should back up all of my stuff before i reinstall OS X because it erases everything.
the apple opiotn ctrl 8 will reverse screen colors, sly one. you mean

apple F5

and turn volume on at least loud enough to hear.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
Last edited by rhakiath at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by ozzybob
i'm not saying i disagree with your idea, but i was reading in the manual and it says that i should back up all of my stuff before i reinstall OS X because it erases everything.

thing is, youre not reinstalling. im not completely sure how it works, but it does.
ive done it about three times. (on different computers)

EDIT: and the one time i took my laptop to a pro, he did this.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Hold 'c' while you start up the computer.

-SD

i did that and now i'm back at the Install Mac OS X program
Quote by SilentDeftone
Is there no option to start Mac OS X from CD?

-SD

i don't see one.

here is what the window says"

"Welcome to the MAc OS X Installer"

to install the additional applications that came with your computer, click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

to quit, choose quit from the installer menu and click Startup Disk

do i have to do the startup disk?
Quote by ozzybob
to quit, choose quit from the installer menu and click Startup Disk

do i have to do the startup disk?

Yes, that's it. Hit Startup Disk and then choose the CD.

-SD
Quote by ozzybob
thanks man

i appreciate it

No problem! I am getting a Macbook myself soon. Hope you don't lose all your stuff
High as tits
Quote by SilentDeftone
Yes, that's it. Hit Startup Disk and then choose the CD.

-SD

i tried that and i restarted the computer and nothing changed.

i'm gonna try it again, but i i'm gonna restart it using "Mac OS X on Macintosh HD"

do you think that will work?
Quote by ozzybob
i tried that and i restarted the computer and nothing changed.

i'm gonna try it again, but i i'm gonna restart it using "Mac OS X on Macintosh HD"

do you think that will work?

What do you mean nothing changed - you still got the problem?

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
What do you mean nothing changed - you still got the problem?

-SD

yeah. it restarted but it didn't start up.

you could see the gray apple thing and that was it. it didn't do anything else.