Well, I found out today my computer has some bad RAM, and I'm going to replace all of it with new RAM.

My uncle built the computer for us a few years back, so I've had to learn up on all of the hardware in the computer so I could fix any problems I have, since he lives in Florida. Also, me and my uncle are not on good terms at the moment, so I couldn't ask him if I wanted to.

Well, I look up my motherboard, which is a QDI PlatiniX 4X, and it said it supports up to 2GB of "184pin RIMM PC800/PC600 RDRAM".

So, I get on NewEgg, and try and find some prices on RAM. Well, turns out, I can't find any RDRAM, and I've never heard of it to begin with.

So, simply, can I use SDRAM on this computer? And, if not, where can I find RDRAM?

Thanks in advance.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
dude. that motherboard is so old that it would be cheaper to buy a new motherboard, proc, and ram than to try to find ram for that dinosaur. seriously, RDRAM is between DDR1 and 100-133 mhz ram. in other words... crappy. that motherboard's socket is also either for an athlon, or a pentium 3. either way, just ditch that crap, buy a new computer, you can build a functional one for about 350-400 dollars, a gaming rig for about 600 or more, and a nice one for about 900. if you aren't going to be playing games, then just build the budget one.
ya... thats a p3 i believe.. seriously.. get a new one.. even if all you use it for is the internet.. your not going to find ram for that on newegg... they dont stock that old of stuff...
its best to go to tigerdirect.com or newegg as you know and get a new machine for like 250-400
Seriously... TigerDirect usually has motherboard/ram combos for around $100.
It has a Pentium 4 in it.

And I just don't think basically rebuilding the whole computer is possible for us, at the moment. I mean, I could ask my mom in the morning if would be likely in the coming months, but I've been without this computer for a year now.

I miss playing Half Life 2, and being able to download at really high speeds.

I mean, it's not a bad computer at all. My uncle knows what he's doing, I mean he programs software and such for NASA, he's been doing this sort of things for most of his adult life, which is around the past 25 years or so. It has a 2GHz processor, it had 1GB of RAM, it has a 128MB NVIDIA graphics card, etc.

It's a great computer for its (slight) age of 3 years.

Thanks for the advice, but that's just not in out budget right now. I will when I can, but I just can't.

But, yea, all I need is somewhere to buy some of the right RAM, and I'll be fine.

Saxo-Walrus

BTW, rdram is commonly called "rambus" and has to be installed in matched pairs. Youd really save yourself a lot of trouble now and in the future if you just got a new mobo and ram. If you feel like working with the biggest hassle in the history of ram, there's still a quite a few places that sell rambus ram, especially online.
Yea, I know I need a new motherboard and whatnot.....

But, like I said, I just don't know if we can afford that. And, yes, I understand you find stuff for relatively cheap, but money is never really good enough around here for that.

I'll try my best to make due, or try and get a new motherboard and whatnot, but I don't know if it'll work out.

Thanks, though.

Saxo-Walrus

newegg uses credit card, first of all. it has no central location, meaning that though money might not be "good" around your area, it will have the same value in the contiguous united states, regardless of your location. i can't speak for hawaii/alaska.
second of all. i wasn't aware a p4 came in that socket. but i suppose it's possible. they did it with the p2.
third... half life 2 runs on single core?
i've got an e6600 dual core (Conroe, i think)
4 Gb of ddr2 800 mhz dual channel ram
a 1 gb Sapphire x1950pro dual (essentially crossfire but on the same card)
a 600 watt Rosewill PSU
and a DFI lanparty UT motherboard </bragging>
and i still get a little bit of sluggishness on Episode 2 on max settings.
I meant that out financial situation won't allow for too much money being spent. My mom has enough trouble paying bills, much less buying, basically, a new computer.

And, yes, I can play Half Life 2, GMod, Counter Strike, etc. on this computer. Like I said, it's not a bad computer at all. The only thing that I can really see is that he went the less expensive route with the motherboard and the RAM, because it was Kingston and some weird Samsung RAM.

I know this comp can't run HL2 Episode 2, because I've saw the minimum specs, but it can run regular HL2 like a dream.

Saxo-Walrus

Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 31, 2008,
ah. i see.
well, in your situation, i would scrounge the local pc recycler. thats what i did to build my linux cluster.
That computer is only 3 years old? Wow, that thing is a dinosaur lol. Anyway, I agree with the above posters that really, you can build a good machine that will be a million times better for cheap these days.

HOWEVER, since you can't do that you may check around on eBay. That's probably your best bet seeing as how that kind of stuff is barely made anymore. Just make sure the seller has a lots of good feedback and you should be fine.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station