I've only been playing seriously for about 6 months, and I've just discovered that anchoring is bad. So, any good exercises to improve my picking and get away from anchoring?
When you are picking, you should anchor your wrist. When you are strumming, you shouldn't. Just play some chord progression you make up to improve your rhythm playing. Just keep swinging your arm like a robot.
are you sure your technique is bad? anchoring gets confused with resting the side of your picking hand on the bridge, which is fine. i would just say for you to practice scales comfortably and break in your technique until it feels right.
helps me trem pick.. people have linked non-anchoring shreds to me but they just seem.. less controlled (for my technique). example is EVH trem picking, well for one his style works different and two, i wouldnt be able to reference string jumps without lightly resting my palm. way i see it if you do rest it on the bridge, you should be able to MOVE your hand to get from low E to high e with ease, if naturally it feels like you REACH for high e then youre anchoring.

also heres perspective (for anyone who says dont put wrist on bridge): trem pick palm mutes without 'anchoring'..

its only bad if its causing tension or restricting your ability to move up and down strings. either way you can adjust to keep your hand on the bridge.
Mind if I bump this thread?

Because this just made me think about MY anchoring problem. I'm a finger-picker (no formal training, but fairly accomplished) and I rest my pinky, and sometimes ring finger on the gittern. Is this a huge no-no?

I guess I just haven't tried it any other way, so I don't notice any problem or dissadvantage.
Quote by 5/4

Because this just made me think about MY anchoring problem. I'm a finger-picker (no formal training, but fairly accomplished) and I rest my pinky, and sometimes ring finger on the gittern. Is this a huge no-no?

I guess I just haven't tried it any other way, so I don't notice any problem or dissadvantage.

It is a problem because it'll limit you to not use those fingers that you're using to anchor.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by 5/4

There's a huuuge thread on anchoring somewhere floating around these forums. Try to find it, there are a bazillion reasons why it's a good idea to stop anchoring.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
There's a huuuge thread on anchoring somewhere floating around these forums. Try to find it, there are a bazillion reasons why it's a good idea to stop anchoring.

It's in the Music Theory FAQ

How many anchoring threads do we need?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums