I've decided to get myself a step up from my silly ole' Epi Thunderbird *Shame* and Behringer combo amp *Double Shame*. Both were bought before I really knew anything about proffesional level bass playing. I currently also have a P bass copy. I'd like to buy either a Jaguar or a MIM Jazz Bass. I've played both for at least a little (the Jazz I play a LOT at my friend's house and at school). The Jaguar I've only played a bit and I didn't get to do much with the settings. Does the Jag have any sort of tonal range? I'd also like to note that either would be purchased after a new amp. My plan is to get a GK Goldline 4x10 and a Backline head (I've decided this after much deliberation and **** LOADS of testing amps). What would ya'll recomend? Jag or MIM?

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Jazz basses are amazing.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Jazz.... only cuase i really want one too.
but i spent my last dollar today becuase i had no food! =[
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Aren't these basses in 2 different price ranges? I'd recommend a Jag over an MIM Jazz, but I'd recommend a Highway One over a Jag, or better yet, an MIA Jazz over a Jag.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Kinda. I know the jag is about $700 US and the MIM Jazz is around $550. I want something that's versitile for my various playing groups. I may be jamming with some guys who play funk and latin in addition to my current band (rock/alternitive) and I love to play with my friend Keshia who has a beautiful voice and play pop/mainstream songs. I need something that can match all of these groups. I know I'll be good for the funk group from my experience with the jazz and I've found ways to tweak it to sound good for pop/rock lines. I want to know if the Jag can get similar tones.

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Kinda. I know the jag is about $700 US and the MIM Jazz is around $550. I want something that's versitile for my various playing groups. I may be jamming with some guys who play funk and latin in addition to my current band (rock/alternitive) and I love to play with my friend Keshia who has a beautiful voice and play pop/mainstream songs. I need something that can match all of these groups. I know I'll be good for the funk group from my experience with the jazz and I've found ways to tweak it to sound good for pop/rock lines. I want to know if the Jag can get similar tones.

actually the jazz MIM is like $480 or for less money than the Jag there is also the Aerodyne Jazz or the Deluxe Active Jazz
Would the active Jazz or Aerodyne Jazz have simiar tonal capabilities as a standard passize jazz?

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Would the active Jazz or Aerodyne Jazz have simiar tonal capabilities as a standard passize jazz?

The active jazz probably would but ive never played an aerodyne. Theyre both better quality than the MIM though.
The Jazz is probably the most versatile bass you'll ever see. Or even hear of. I've been able to play literally everything I've thrown at my MIA Jazz. I played a Jag at the store, and I thought the controls were a little much for me to get used to. On top of that, I'm a bigger fan of passive basses. Plus, as said, the Jag is $100-$200 more than the MIM Jazz. If you have $750, do everything you can to get the MIA Jazz or at least a Highway One. You'll be so much happier.

If you're stuck with one of those two for some reason, go with the Jag. The MIM Jazz' will have a crap ton of versatility, but the Jag's electronics will let you get almost as much as the MIA Jazz.
when i was shopping for a new bass i played a jag and a jazz.

jags are uncomfortable. and all those controls get annoying to fool around with.

i picked the jazz bass. i am currently happy.
I've made a tentative decision to go with the MIM Jazz. This is simply because after comparing the prices and my experience the Jazz seemed to pull ahead. Also just so you know, this purchase probably won't be until around this summer. I still need to get a few things bought that I feel are more important. I'm planning on getting a GK as I said earlier as well as a Boss Bass OverDrive. I think the OverDrive will sound very nice with a few songs that have been in the works with my main band, and yes, I've tried it, fiddled with the knobs, and LOVE it.

Quote by Wasted Bassist
I've decided to get myself a step up from my silly ole' Epi Thunderbird *Shame* and Behringer combo amp *Double Shame*. Both were bought before I really knew anything about proffesional level bass playing. I currently also have a P bass copy. I'd like to buy either a Jaguar or a MIM Jazz Bass. I've played both for at least a little (the Jazz I play a LOT at my friend's house and at school). The Jaguar I've only played a bit and I didn't get to do much with the settings. Does the Jag have any sort of tonal range? I'd also like to note that either would be purchased after a new amp. My plan is to get a GK Goldline 4x10 and a Backline head (I've decided this after much deliberation and **** LOADS of testing amps). What would ya'll recomend? Jag or MIM?

Not sure about the basses, but the amp you're getting is awesome (I have one)
If I were you, I'd get the Jaguar in black. But it's a very ugly bass. So do you want a great sounding instrument that happens to be ugly as hell, or a decent sounding one that looks great?