any mechanics or people who know anything about cars.... i need help

ok so my 1997 recently started making a clicking sound near the right wheel when i accelerate too quickly or come to a dead stop....ya know when you stop you go forward a bit and come back....well it clicks then that happens. i have googled it and all that comes up is a bad cv joint. well most of the things say its bad when you have to turn the wheels and stuff. mine happens when i accelerate too quickly and such. it may have happened when i turn the wheel for turns but i havent really noticed. i have read online that you can just get a new cv boot, clean the joint, pack it with grease and be done with it. others say that is the joint itself is bad, it all needs to be replaced. well its tax time, so i will have the money to get it fixed regardless, just how much am i looking at and is it safe to drive it like this. thanks
Officer Nole07 of the U.G.P.D

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
Quote by aschaetter
the make and model of it would help...

+1
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
1997 cavalier

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
ok, if shouldn't be your axle. cause it should only click when you turn. and when it click you will need to replace the axle. but anyway, sound like you have a wheel bearing problem. to check that, jack up the front of your car, and shake your wheel, put one hand on top and one hand on bottom of the wheel and shake it. don't do it sideway. if the wheel shake, then it should be your wheel bearing. also, anytime you hearing anything coming from suspension you should have it check out a.s.a.p. because after all, thats what keeps your car on the ground.

ps : the only time u can safely replace the cv-boot is if you caught it leaking before it make any sound. when it start to click that means the axle cv joint is already mess up. will need axle replacement. but yeah, check your wheel bearing.
Last edited by The_Last_J at Jan 31, 2008,
It's safe to drive, judging by the description...as for repair costs, I'd have to look it up. But when I last changed a CV joint on my sisters 2000 Civic, it was relatively cheap in repair terms.
just dropped my car off at the shop to have the cv joints replaced. i'm expecting it to cost ~$450.

w00t!
is it serious if its the bearing or whatever, cause i am gonna have it checked and serviced in like 2 weeks when i get the money, you think it will be alright for everyday driving?

Quote by rockybo
if it's a wheel bearing, then you shouldn't drive it (at least at high speeds, i.e. over 40mph).... the wheel could fall off!

i've friends who've had their wheels fall all while driving because of this!

EDIT: but if it's cv joints - well, i just drove my car for 1000+ miles on bad joints, and although they've partially seized, it's still drivable.
now i dont want to be a bother or anything, but i think my rotors might be bad too....as you can tell i'm going to have a lot of **** done to my car when i get the money, but anyway like when i am going like 55-60 mph and i hit the breaks the front end shakes a lil bit until it gets down to like 45 mph, then its all good....could that be the rotors?

Quote by rockybo
Quote by Logic Smogic
if it's a wheel bearing, then you shouldn't drive it (at least at high speeds, i.e. over 40mph).... the wheel could fall off!

i've friends who've had their wheels fall all while driving because of this!

i just found this on google

"A classic symptom of a bad wheel bearing is noise, so if a wheel is making "funny" noises when driving (squeaks, chirps, squeals, moans, etc.), or you hear a grinding noise when turning, it may indicate a bad wheel bearing. Other symptoms include steering wander or possibly a pull to one side when braking.

and it doesnt do any of that... so i dont know
but do you think it could be a wheel bearing since it clicks when i stop and go?

Quote by rockybo
Last edited by Nole07 at Jan 31, 2008,
you should be able to wait 2 weeks. just take it easy on it. in my 6 years mechanic experience, i've only seen once where a car's wheel came off from a messed up wheel bearing. but that guy might have drove it for 5-6 years before the wheel came off, so yeah, you'll be alright.

and yeah, shaking front end when apply brakes at high speed should be brake rotors.
also, wheel bearing you'll be looking at about one hour labor, that's what most shop will charge you, and the bearing shouldn't be more then 60-80 dollars. so about a $200 repair. might also need alignment after that depends on how the mechanic do it. newbie will cause you alignment problem for sure lol cause i was a newbie myself lol
Quote by Nole07
but do you think it could be a wheel bearing since it clicks when i stop and go?

I can't make a diagnosis - I'm a physicist, not a mechanic - and I know very little about the practical workings of cars. The bit I mentioned above is just based on the current personal experience with my car (where it's the cv joints, which I know because a mechanic told me), and from what I've heard on 'Car Talk' and from my friends about the dangers of bad wheel bearings.

I'd say bring it to a mechanic and have it looked at. Get the oil changed while you're at it.
well if it is a bad wheel bearing are those pretty costly?

thanks man

Quote by rockybo
in case your didn't see my edit. bearing is about a one hour job. plus bearing part should be about 60-80. in california, most mechanic labor is $120 per hour. so you probably be looking at about $200 each side. and also depending if you need alignment after that.
i just watched a video on youtube how to check for a bad wheel bearing, i will do that tomorrow

J do you honestly think its a bearing or could it be a cv joint?

Quote by rockybo
i really think it's your bearing. so far from all the info you gave points me to that. because the only time a c-v joint will make noise w/o turning is when it's really really bad ( and you should've experience the turning clicking phrase before it gets to that ) or have a bad inner joint. ( which hardly hardly happen w/o hitting something )
so if i do the wheel shake test tomorrow, am i in pretty bad shape or can i drive it for like 2-3 more weeks?

Quote by rockybo
did you read my comment up above about the rotor problem maybe too? thanks

Quote by rockybo
avoid abrupt movement and potholes, best you can do if you really have to drive it. but if it's me that driving it i won't really care. but as a mechanic i'll have to say it's not safe.
but here is how i see it, modern car is really really really strong and relatively safe when it comes to frame/suspension structure, especially in U.S and most parts that will break usually gives warning before it become totally fail on you. and there's always some kind of back up in any car system. but of course there's always a possibility tho.

oh yeah, about brake rotors, mostly likely yes that's what it is. if it only shake when braking and not anything else. you should feel some kinda pulsation from the brake pedal too. if you get that too, then 100%. check the steering tie-rod tomorrow while you do the bearing test. as that can be a possibility to cause shaking under braking also. a tie-rod is a little rod that goes from your steering rack to your wheels, it should be above your axle bolted to your wheel hub assembly. what you looking for is a cracking boot at the joint.
so just take it slow if i can and avoid pothole and ****. ok one more question. if i do the shake test tomorrow and my wheel has no play whatsoever....then what? when i first noticed it my asked my friend about it and he suggested it was the ABS system doing a test or something....no clue what he was talking about.

Quote by rockybo

Quote by rockybo
oh yeah, was the floor wet when it click?? cause when abs system kicks in, it click and it will also make a pulsation from your brake pedal. btw abs system only run test when car is in key-on ignition off mode. but if tomorrow, the bearing test show nothing. then there's not much else you can do on your own to continue the diagnosis. (except grabbing a wrench and start checking every single bolts for tightness) next step will need someone will experience to test drive. the bearing can still be bad w/o the wheel shaking.
okay if i do the test tomorrow, on my own and it does not have any play, would you consider it safe to drive until i get it checked in a couple weeks....i am really short on cash right now.

Quote by rockybo
shouldn't be a problem. while you have the car up, just look around and look for anything usual. like leaking struts, grab a wrench and see if there's any loose bolts, also try to pull/push on your suspension parts to see if you have any loose joint. ( shouldn't have any loose part ) if everything is tight. then you should be ok to wait.
thank you so much J, your freaking awesome. the reason i am mainly freaking is i have a date tomorrow and i am taking her a good 40 miles away to dinner and a movie. thanks man

again tho, if hte feel does show play, do i need to worry?

Quote by rockybo
np man, but even if it does have play on your bearing, if it's not way too much i wouldn't worry about it. you'll be suprise at how many buckets that i fixed at work that should've break down 10years ago and still running. good luck on your date tomorrow dude
thanks much bro.

Quote by rockybo