what are your opinions on metrosexuals?
i know that theres a HELL of alot of gay/women jokes around the pit, but what about metro's?

Let me emphasise, im not looking to persecute anyone here. and yes, im metro. apparently. well sort of on the verge of metro.
Last edited by fretsonfire74 at Jan 31, 2008,
A friend of mine is metro...all he wears is very expensive brand name clothing (like, 200$ hoodies), acts crazy about his appearance (gets really pissed if he breaks his nails) and gels his hair into faux-hawks.

However, tell him he's metro and he'll attempt to beat your face in.

It's fun.
Just like with gay people, I could care less. Let them do what they want, it's not like they're hurting anyone.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I think whatever way you swing, is completely up to you. Or if it's both, you can have sex with 2 members of opposite sex, so if that turns ya on more power to ya.
Quote by Burenen
I think whatever way you swing, is completely up to you. Or if it's both, you can have sex with 2 members of opposite sex, so if that turns ya on more power to ya.

uhh...thats bisexual.
Let me get this straight - 'metro' has nothing to do with the person's sexuality, right? It just has to do with how they dress.

So why is there even a word for men who dress "well" (i.e. wear more than a sh*tty, ill-fitting, band t-shirt and oversized cargo pants)? Is it because of the common assumption that gay men dress "well"?
i would consider myself metrosexual, whats wrong with looking good while ****ing pussy?
Officer Nole07 of the U.G.P.D

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
There's nothing wrong with a guy who cares about his appearance, and like to cook and clean. ****, I'd love to have a metro roommate, that way he'd clean up and make food and I wouldn't have to worry about sleeping on my back cupping my balls. Of course I have no problem with gay people. What I DO have a problem with is the stereotypical gay person attitude. I don't see why liking men makes a guy have to talk with a lisp and act like a tool. (I KNOW THEY AREN'T ALL LIKE THIS) I had a gay friend before, and he was quite manly for a gay dude. He used to be my stoner buddy. So, I have no problem with gay people if I can act like I normally do. If they enjoy knocking back some beers, talking some football, and avoiding conversations about how many shoes they have, I have no beef.
Quote by Logic Smogic
Let me get this straight - 'metro' has nothing to do with the person's sexuality, right? It just has to do with how they dress.

So why is there even a word for men who dress "well" (i.e. wear more than a sh*tty, ill-fitting, band t-shirt and oversized cargo pants)? Is it because of the common assumption that gay men dress "well"?

oh crap. guess i was thinking of something else. if a guy dresses well wouldn't that make him a sharp dressed man? sorry, had to say it...
Quote by Burenen
oh crap. guess i was thinking of something else. if a guy dresses well wouldn't that make him a sharp dressed man? sorry, had to say it...

'Cause every girls crazy 'bout a sharp, dressed, maaaayne.
I guess i would be considered metro. I like dressing well and having some style. I dont see anything wrong with that, quite the opposite really, nice clean guy who dresses well > sweaty kid who smells bad
in the city i live, there are a lot of metrosexuals. co-incidentally my cousin came here from iran last year and is into the metro. the lifestyle annoys the hell out of me because in my opinion its purely superficial and pretentious. most of them are idiots anyway who just attract other superficial, pretentious, and idiotic people... but hey, if that's the kind of person you want to attract, go for it!

i blame the team from 'queer eye for the straight guy' for it all. they popularised the gimmick and now we're left with the aftermath of it all. silly carson kressley gave advice meant for homo men to hetro men, which deformed them into metro men...

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING CARSON!?
So, to summarize: The anti-metrosexual argument is that men should always dress like slobs?

I still don't think I understand... I study and teach at a college, and I'm expected to dress professionally. According the dominant anti-metrosexual opinion, do I have to choose between being "pretentious" and respected by my peers/advisors, and being "real" and dressing sloppily?
Quote by Logic Smogic
So, to summarize: The anti-metrosexual argument is that men should always dress like slobs?

I still don't think I understand... I study and teach at a college, and I'm expected to dress professionally. According the dominant anti-metrosexual opinion, do I have to choose between being "pretentious" and respected by my peers/advisors, and being "real" and dressing sloppily?

Theres a difference between metro and dressing nicely.

You can dress nicely without obsessing over it
They annoy the sh*t out of me, i have no probs with gays, they can act how they want, but f*cking metros act gay when they aren't, it annoys me
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by Aus-10
Theres a difference between metro and dressing nicely.

You can dress nicely without obsessing over it

So a metrosexual's someone who's obsessed about looking good.

How can you tell if someone's a metrosexual by just looking at them, then? You'd have to really know the person, right? I mean, for the most part, you shouldn't be able to just walk down the street (say, in Hardeed's city) and point out metrosexuals.
My friend's a metro. He's all stylish and always tells me "Hey, that shirt looks horrible. Do you like my shirt? It's Versace!"

But he's cool nonetheless.

Metrosexual: Metrosexual is a neologism generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, and who display many of the lifestyle tendencies of stereotypically gay men
what? your thinking that i'm saying wearing a suit or dressing nicely is pretentious? NO WAY! its more of a mindset thing. when u line up 2 well presented men together, one who hasnt invoked the metrosexual bla bla, u can tell just by the way they look who is a jerk or not.

you can still however you wish... men can dress nice, presentable, professional, or whatever other describing words you wish. i'll give u a description of what my cousin does that annoys me.

ALWAYS takes 15min showers at least twice a day... and we're living in drought conditions where we've been told to do 4minute daily showers.

has short hair but always straightens and blow dries it... even after he comes out of the shower when he is going to go to bed within 30mins.

have a crazy idea that designer labeled and/or excessively expensive clothing are the only way to dress good.

always need to dress to impress

belittle or questions the integrity of items which aren't of a popular/exclusive brand

wear a crap load of cologne, so that when someone smells it they will either get a migraine or their head will explode from the sheer potency of the smell.
hmm you are all a bunch of haters!

Heck I like to dress up and look "better" then others but that dont make me gay or unmanly. its not my fault i dont like to look like trash or most people. so am i metro? morons
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Quote by Esp_kill07
hmm you are all a bunch of haters!

Heck I like to dress up and look "better" then others but that dont make me gay or unmanly. its not my fault i dont like to look like trash or most people. so am i metro? morons

I can understand most people try to look pretty good, i do that a bit, it's just when they go over the top they are metros "Oh, do i look good in this shirt" "Oh, i just broke my nail, wah" no offense to anyone
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

re:Hadeed

So you do have to know the person a bit to "know" if they're metro.

That is, I don't have to start worrying that the general population is going to think I'm metrosexual when I walk down the street in my v-neck sweater and collared shirt (the standard attire among faculty and grad students in my department).
Quote by Logic Smogic
So a metrosexual's someone who's obsessed about looking good.

How can you tell if someone's a metrosexual by just looking at them, then? You'd have to really know the person, right? I mean, for the most part, you shouldn't be able to just walk down the street (say, in Hardeed's city) and point out metrosexuals.

yes you can. its like being able to find a hummer in a used car yard. i guess u need to be educated in the field to be able to pick it out.

if u see someone who wears big ****off sunglasses, wears those silly shirts with a very low neckline, unnecessarily shaves/waxes their body hair, theres a good chance that he's a metro. its all about analysis.

an example would be that I'm able to pick out most bodybuilders who use steroids, compared to natural bodybuilders. i wouldnt expect someone who hasn't had any experience or research in the field to be able to.
^doesn't sound like they're dressing all that well, then... It sounds more like they're dressing outrageously.

Quote by Dimster Ds
I can understand most people try to look pretty good, i do that a bit, it's just when they go over the top they are metros "Oh, do i look good in this shirt" "Oh, i just broke my nail, wah" no offense to anyone

Wow. Never met anyone like that.

Is this a new trend in high schools? Is this the new 'emo'? I mean, I get the impression that the term 'metro' has changed a bit in 5 years.
Quote by Logic Smogic
re:Hadeed

So you do have to know the person a bit to "know" if they're metro.

That is, I don't have to start worrying that the general population is going to think I'm metrosexual when I walk down the street in my v-neck sweater and collared shirt (the standard attire among faculty and grad students in my department).

Acutally, i can tell if someone is metro while down the street, look for purple and pink clothes, very fashioned hair, painted fingernails, stuff like that
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Painted Fingernails???? WTF!?! not even gay guys do that around here lol. never heard of that. just with those emo/goth that paint it black.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Quote by Logic Smogic
^doesn't sound like they're dressing all that well, then... It sounds more like they're dressing outrageously.

Wow. Never met anyone like that.

Is this a new trend in high schools? Is this the new 'emo'? I mean, I get the impression that the term 'metro' has changed a bit in 5 years.

kinda, emo is now dying a bit and now its a new wave of metro kids filtering through the school system and into the clubs.

i guess my city (the gold coast) can be thought of a mini australian version of hollywood... or las vegas.

if u want a prime example of a metro... let me introduce you to my cousin
http://www.myspace.com/mass_poursh

enjoy