Ok so I want to buy something new for my guitar setup. But for the last year or so, i cant decide on what to buy. One month ill be convinced that I need a new amp, then almost immediately Ill want to buy a new guitar. Then Ill get the idea that i need lots and lots of effect pedals. OR a nice acoustic. OR an acoustic amp. or recording hardware. CANT DECIDE!!!!! so thats where you guys come in. Right now my equipment is....

Guitar: Epiphone G-400, Rouge Acoustic
Amp: Marshall 15DFX
Effects: Digitech RP 350

As far as my ability on guitar... i can play a variety of songs all the way through (some slower Joe Satriani, santana) and I try to play a vast variety of music from AC/DC to ZZ top. My interest is mainly with instrumental rock but also alot of classic rock + alot of metal also (metallica, zakk wylde, etc.). I play FAR more on my electric than i do on my acoustic. That doesnt mean i dont know any acoustic songs its just that prefer to play my electric.

So heres the question thats been bugging me for the last 11 months. What should I get that will further my playing (besides practice, practice, practice)?

A new electric guitar? if so then which one?
A tube amp? if so then which one?
Some effect pedals ? (truthfully, outside of satch and a couple of others, the only effect i need to play most songs is distortion).
if you have been itching to get your hands on a new guitar, i say go with an epiphone les paul classic. they are deffinently worth every bit of their low price tag.. in reality though, if you want something new to inspire you to make your own music, get a multi-effect pedal, one with at least 10 different options.. youll be amazed im sure at what your guitars can sound like given the new goodies.
Well think of guitars amps and pedals like your dinner plate. Your guitar and amp are your steak and potatoes, while your pedals are simply your side dishes. So upgrade your guitar and amp first.
Quote by chROniCmiKe
if you have been itching to get your hands on a new guitar, i say go with an epiphone les paul classic. they are deffinently worth every bit of their low price tag.. in reality though, if you want something new to inspire you to make your own music, get a multi-effect pedal, one with at least 10 different options.. youll be amazed im sure at what your guitars can sound like given the new goodies.

well my digitech RP 250 is a multi effect pedal with A TON of effects so i think im good there. and as far as the les paul goes, im really not a big fan of the epi les since ive played a few and none of them really impressed me. they are not bad at all but just not something i see myself buying. I was looking into the higher end ibanez RG series. Ive also seriously looked at the Schecter Tempest Custom. anyone try that guitar out? as far as amps go ive been looking at a Fender Blues deluxe reisuue along with a couple of other amps in the 500-700 range. for effects ive looked into buying the Digitech Whammy (I LOVE playing that whammy bit in joe satrianis "searching"). So heres another question, recently i saw a DVD concert of Tim reynolds (a god by the way) where he would play a bit and have it recorded some how and then would start looping it back to he could solo over that part. Anyone know what effect that is and how i would be able to get my hands on equipment that could pull that off?
Your guitar is decent, your multifx is average, your amp is wank.

Get a new amp

How much do you have to spend?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
an amp will provide you with the most noticable difference in your tone. while the guitar is probably the most important thing in the long run, i think id get a new amp first. itl allow you to sound a lot better without doing much of anything. with that said i love my Vox AD30VT if ur looking for a larger practice amp. best of luck to yah.
my budget is around 500 - 700 dollars. Yes ive been thinking of getting a new amp. Has anyone tried a fender blues deluxe reissue? maybe a peavy valveking? ive never tried this vox amplifier that you speak of? what kind of performance did you guys see in it and how would that suit my music needs?
If you've got $700 then get a Traynor, it'll absolutely nail the sounds you're looking for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV40-Custom-Valve-Combo-Amp?sku=480959
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd go for the amp. Wait until you're ready to spend at least $1000 before you take the next step in guitars.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
hm tough one,

an amp would jump your tone, but if your not playing gigs or anything why bother getting something bigger to lug around to your friends house?

ide say guitar if you can play,
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
hm tough one,

an amp would jump your tone, but if your not playing gigs or anything why bother getting something bigger to lug around to your friends house?

ide say guitar if you can play,

because his current amp sound like crap?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
because his current amp sound like crap?

hah yeah true=) i bet you can pull it off getting a line 6 spider III i have one, would never suggest gigging with it. But with the decent effects and great tones out of it, it makes you sound puuureetttyyy ba=)
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
No offence, but the Spider is junk...he can get something good with his budget
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
No offence, but the Spider is junk...he can get something good with his budget

its very plastic-y but its a great practice amp. especially when your just learning songs, because you can get tones just like the tone in the song
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by Jumeriah
well my digitech RP 250 is a multi effect pedal with A TON of effects so i think im good there. and as far as the les paul goes, im really not a big fan of the epi les since ive played a few and none of them really impressed me. they are not bad at all but just not something i see myself buying. I was looking into the higher end ibanez RG series. Ive also seriously looked at the Schecter Tempest Custom. anyone try that guitar out? as far as amps go ive been looking at a Fender Blues deluxe reisuue along with a couple of other amps in the 500-700 range. for effects ive looked into buying the Digitech Whammy (I LOVE playing that whammy bit in joe satrianis "searching"). So heres another question, recently i saw a DVD concert of Tim reynolds (a god by the way) where he would play a bit and have it recorded some how and then would start looping it back to he could solo over that part. Anyone know what effect that is and how i would be able to get my hands on equipment that could pull that off?

I got the RP250 and I love it but it ain't gonna fix his broken Marshall amp.

So hands down...AMP. I think you'll thank yourself for it.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
i have an rp 80

it does the job of a 3rd guitarist with it popped into an effects loop

perfect for me and my other guitarist to use. me and him- lead harmony looper-chord progresh

**** i forgot the name, i looked it up, its actually the rc-2 looper by boss
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010