So dont flame me for owning a ovation first off. But i have had a cc057 celebrity deluxe for about 4 years. For some reason the think just sounds dead now. When I first purchased the guitar it sounded so sweet. But now even when I put on new strings it still sounds like hell. What could possible be wrong?
maybe you've gotten bored of the sound? i like ovations, but i find the sound to be plasticy and a little 2 dimensional. i know i was bored of the sound of my guitar. it doesn't leave me satisfied with it's sound after i play it anymore. but maybe that's because it's still a rather cheap guitar.
Well I dont think thats what it is. Its like the E and A string are just so dead compared to what it use to be. And i have used the same strings for years so that could not be the problem.
You could try thicker strings, but it isn't something with neck that has been damaged?
Quote by captivate
but maybe that's because it's still a rather cheap guitar.

Yeah .If you arent willing to spend the money to get a ovation that make them famous then dont buy one at all. They only released cheaper models to capture more of the market.

£600 for a decent one. And they sound so good. Anathema uses them for there accoustic bits. search for Forgotten Hopes accoustic by Anathema and you will see why ovations are sweet.
haha, actually... when i said that, i meant my own guitar. i have an Art & Lutherie Cedar CW. i find myself often bored of the sound, although from time to time, it sounds real good when i compare it to my friend's takamine.
Quote by Bruizer
Well I dont think thats what it is. Its like the E and A string are just so dead compared to what it use to be. And i have used the same strings for years so that could not be the problem.

What gauge are you using now? I played Dean Markley Bronze Lights for years. I went with the Extra Lights and it now has a refreshing tone. Try that.
Quote by MrChris
Yeah .If you arent willing to spend the money to get a ovation that make them famous then dont buy one at all. They only released cheaper models to capture more of the market.

£600 for a decent one. And they sound so good. Anathema uses them for there accoustic bits. search for Forgotten Hopes accoustic by Anathema and you will see why ovations are sweet.

I am not one of those people who walk in the guitar store and only look at expensive instruments because they are expensive and that is what will make them sound good. That is not true at all. Its not that i cant afford them its the fact that thats not the correct way to shop for a instrument. If it where a rogue and sounded good i would purchase it over a expensive instrument and day of the week. Like I said in my post, it sounded great when i purchased it years go but the sound has faded over the years.
Quote by Fluffwig
You could try thicker strings, but it isn't something with neck that has been damaged?

could be but it seems fine. The play has gotten worse over the years also so that could be it? I play 11-52 Elixirs.
One thing you may keep it mind that if a solid wood guitar (or just the top in your case) dries out or gets too humid, tone will change over time.
If you haven't done so, you might want to control the humidity in its case (or better, in the room you play).
I'm not guaranteeing it will solve your problem, but it is a known problem at least.

EDIT: Just saw you probably do not have a solid top, so that means it is less sensitive to drying out and getting too moist would be less reversible.
Last edited by Dylan_IE at Jan 31, 2008,