ok so i need a new graphic card for my computer. i've been looking at the nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, which i'll use for gaming and watching DVD's. my computer right now runs on Pentium 4, Windows XP, and it has 512 MB of RAM. is the nvidia a good choice, and is it compatible with my computer, or are there better choices i should be looking at? my budget is 80 USD at most.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Has you, good sir, a PCI Express Slot in your Motherboard?
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
wats that?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by musicfreak003
wats that?

It's the Interface most of the new graphic cards use. Probably your board is still AGP, so you wanna look out for that. Some manufacturers still put out some AGP cards.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Watch your Power supply too, cause those nvidia cards eat a lot of juice. Combined with the less than efficient P4 processor your computer will simply not work.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
You'll have to change motherboard, processor and RAM before you can add a graphics card like that. It'll be pretty pointless otherwise.

To put it in simple terms, your computer is as slow as the slowest part.
This is not a signature.
Quote by miscz
You'll have to change motherboard, processor and RAM before you can add a graphics card like that. It'll be pretty pointless otherwise.

To put it in simple terms, your computer is as slow as the slowest part.

exactly

some computers that you buy pre-built (which you should never do by the way) dont even come with graphics cards at all. judging by the rest of your system if i was going to buy just a graphics card for it id only be looking at something like a 6800GT or maybe 7800GT at the absolute most. otherwise youre just wasting your time. and like sated before youre probably gonna need an AGP card which limits your options greatly as well
I recommend a 7600 GT for now while you get enough $ for a good computer. You can probably get a 7600GT for way less than $100 bucks nowadays and its still a pretty good card. I would know, im running it on my PC and its pulling BioShock surprisingly well (and bioshock is one demanding game).
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
wait but y is the 8600 cheaper than the 7600?

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
Quote by musicfreak003

it shouldn't be
Quote by musicfreak003

availability most likely

they probably dont manufacture 7600's anymore or at least not to the extent that they manufacture 8600's
Quote by musicfreak003
ok so i need a new graphic card for my computer. i've been looking at the nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, which i'll use for gaming and watching DVD's. my computer right now runs on Pentium 4, Windows XP, and it has 512 MB of RAM. is the nvidia a good choice, and is it compatible with my computer, or are there better choices i should be looking at? my budget is 80 USD at most.

You have a peice of sh.t pc... I think you should upgrade your ram and processor befor you upgrade to a 8600..
There's more to graphics cards than just the model number.

You need to know the memory speed, core speed, memory size, bit rate. etc.
Maybe that particular 8600 was crap compared to the 7600 for gaming. Sometimes they are if they're made for graphics design rather than gaming. Gaming cards need speed, graphics design needs more memory.

Either way I need to sell a 7600 but can't be bothered to do it overseas.
You need more RAM, seriously. I'd consider getting that first, then picking up a 128 or 256 MB graphics card. It'll cost you, but it would be far less than buying a whole new PC/ laptop.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I'd say 6600gt, should run cod4 on low. Your computer is literally a piece of ****, todays times need a dual core to do more. But if youre buying a new computer no ****ing brand machine just ask me if you want to know about it. Also id suggest 1gb of ram.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II