I'm pretty much a beginning guitarist (about 6 months now) and my passion for guitars is growing fast. I bought a trans blue epiphone les paul standard plus as my first guitar - gibsons are nice, but my wallet isn't loaded enough - and I'm very satisfied with it. Recently I've been considering modifying my les paul so that it will last me a while, since I doubt I can make enough money for a gibson with all my college expenses. So I'm posing these questions:

1. What pickups do you recommend to upgrade my guitar?
I'm interested in blues, jazz, alternative, progressive, punk, and metal. Metal is something I'm considering for the future, but I'm more interested in the sound of the other genres because I don't think I'll be shredding anytime soon. Feel free to give me such advice nevertheless.

2. What amp do you recommend?
Right now I only have a 15-watt practice amp (Line 6 Spider III).

3. What pedals do you recommend?

Keep in mind that my plan as a guitarist is recreational first. Also, I don't need anyone to tell me to get a new guitar. I'll ask when I think I'm ready to upgrade that far. So please give me your best suggestions. I thank you all for your help.
If you are upgrading maybe a new amp should be your first priority
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Yeah I would say definitely a new amp, because one of those will last you a long, long time. Choosing one will also will depend on what you're doing with it. If you're going to be gigging then you need one thats over 100 watts (to be safe, you might be able to go lower, it depends who you're playing with and where).

As for pickups, that isn't my field of expertise, so I won't try to help you.

As for pedals, well with the things you described I would say get yourself a good distortion pedal (not overdrive, cause you said you aren't playing metal yet). Check out a Boss or something.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i'd say good quality all-rounder pickups, coz of all the genre's you listed you probably won't be able to buy a pickup that can do all that equally well, so i'd reccomend some kind of humbucker, seymour duncan, or if you might play metal, EMG? wwhatever you think suits you
Line 6 amps are sh1t. It's ridiculous how much more satisfied you will be with your sound if you get a good amp. Remeber, you get what you pay for.
As for your axe, your guitar isn't bad. I wish I had an Epi Paul plus top when I had been playing for 6 months.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by Øttər
Yeah I would say definitely a new amp, because one of those will last you a long, long time. Choosing one will also will depend on what you're doing with it. If you're going to be gigging then you need one thats over 100 watts (to be safe, you might be able to go lower, it depends who you're playing with and where).

As for pickups, that isn't my field of expertise, so I won't try to help you.

As for pedals, well with the things you described I would say get yourself a good distortion pedal (not overdrive, cause you said you aren't playing metal yet). Check out a Boss or something.

You'll be fine with a 50 watt. If all your bandmates get huge 100 watts and decide they need to be cranked then you should talk to them about how much money they just wasted, and about they're hearing, because as far as it goes, a 100 watt amp is just barely going to be louder then a 50.

Hell, you can get by on a 30, but if you go that extra step bigger, you generally start getting better effects and such.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
ok. go with a new amp first, because even if you have the sickest guitar, playing it through a little 15-watt wont let you hear its full poetential. Id suggest getting a fender hot rod deluxe. they say on the fender site that they are 400 bux, but i bet at guitarcenter you can get them a lot cheaper. The good thing about those amps, is since they are tube, later on down the road, you can replace the tubes with better ones so you can get crazy amounts of sustain. Pedalwise. if you want single effect, id go with just about any boss pedal. i love them, i own the bos ds-1, mt-2 and the super octave. if you want a wah, dont get the boss wah, because it wah's every note as opposed to making nots 'wah' yourself. but if you want to make your epiphone sound better, the only way to make it sound the way you want to, (jazz and classic rock) is just get gibson '57 pickups. they are like 300 bux for a pair but itll make it sound as close to a gibson as possible.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
oh and a hundred watts is a little much for band practice and even gigging, i have a vox pathfinder i use for band practice and i even used it in an orch concert, and it was plenty loud, and i was even told to turn it down. i have a 100 watt marshall, and ive used it for 2 shows, and i mean, i love it but i never turn the volume on the head past like 3 or 4 (even during shows)
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Are you guys fans of particular amp manufacturers?? Which manufacturer do you believe make good quality amps?
Quote by novafx
Are you guys fans of particular amp manufacturers?? Which manufacturer do you believe make good quality amps?

marshall, fender, crate, mesa, vox
Quote by Øttər
Quote by reed12321
but if you want to make your epiphone sound better, the only way to make it sound the way you want to, (jazz and classic rock) is just get gibson '57 pickups. they are like 300 bux for a pair but itll make it sound as close to a gibson as possible.

As for the pickups, I've heard that gibson burstbucker pros are also very good. Between burstbuckers and '57's, which one would you choose?? If anyone has had experience with the two, how would you describe the differences in tonal quality?
As for the amps, do you guys have any suggestions for an all-around amp?? I'm obviously new , playing for only 6 months, and I still haven't found my "sound".
If you are on a tight budget two good solid amps are the Vox ad series amps (metal grill) and the Roland Cube series amps. If you can go into a good moderate budget range (about 700) then you can definately look into some used tube amps. Since they are used, prices will obviously vary. The manufactureres that have a good rep are Peavey (high-gain only), Vox, Fender, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Laney, ENGL, as well as many other amps. There are just so many amps and models that we can't really suggest an appropriate amp without a solid budget range, genre (more specific then 'everything'), the amp application, what you expect from the amp as in effects, as well as other little minor things.

I suggest you make a new thread to try and get more specifc answers for amps.

Otherwise, your guitar should be fine for a good while.

edit: I suggest that if you make a new amp thread that you post it in guitar gear & accessories instead. There are a lot more amp knowledgeable people in that area of these forums
Last edited by kaplac at Feb 8, 2008,