Hi

been playing for nearly 18 months now, I'm getting on OK but I grip my plectrum in an unconventional way (ie with my thumb & middle finger!). I just can't get my head around the conventional grip, much as I try (& believe me I do!!) Im OK at picking but strumming chords (especially upstrums) is a real struggle, so I alawys revert back to using middle finger. I'm sure this is really restricting me? Any comments/tips would be really welcome, cos it's really frustrating me!!

Cheers
Quote by CobenBlack
ive known a few people that use the pick like that. if you dont want to change it, then just practice doing down and upstrums for hours. eventually it'll come to you.

Cheers fella, much appreciated
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
If playing with your pick gripped between your middle finger and thumb has always felt more natural to you and you play better and with less tenstion if you do it that way, than I see no real reason to change it.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
If playing with your pick gripped between your middle finger and thumb has always felt more natural to you and you play better and with less tenstion if you do it that way, than I see no real reason to change it.

Hey cheers fella, that's good news I guess - so long as it don't inhibit me IF I ever get any better!!
If you want to start hybrid picking it'll be a real bitch, though. I'd suggest that you figure out how to play with thumb and index; it just makes the most sense.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by DSchmitty
Don't feel bad about using you mid finger, EvH did .

Exactly.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Megallica Dude
Exactly.

Cheers guys, all advice etc is really appreciated - you're stopping me from throwing my guitar out o' the window!!

any morew comments are really appreciated, cheers
If you really want to change it, the only way is to practice, practice, practice, practice, and eventually you will get used to it, but you have to stick at it. To be honest, like people have said already, you don't have to change because the "conventional" way is just "a way", and not "the way". For example take Hendrix, he wasn't exactly "conventional"... But whatever you decide to do, you will get better if you stick at it.
Quote by Mr E
If you really want to change it, the only way is to practice, practice, practice, practice, and eventually you will get used to it, but you have to stick at it. To be honest, like people have said already, you don't have to change because the "conventional" way is just "a way", and not "the way". For example take Hendrix, he wasn't exactly "conventional"... But whatever you decide to do, you will get better if you stick at it.

Cheers fella, appreciate that, it's just that some have said that it'll hold me back eventually, but to be honest, I'm quite comfortable with it. By thew ay, I can play lead with 'conventional' grip, it just doesn't happen for me when strumming rhythm - how weird!!
No real way to change it, your just changing things up a bit... if you learn hybrid picking, you may be able to use your index for the finger picking part instead of your middle... O.o and change the whole outlook on that.
Quote by WickedBeast666
No real way to change it, your just changing things up a bit... if you learn hybrid picking, you may be able to use your index for the finger picking part instead of your middle... O.o and change the whole outlook on that.

Nice one, cheers.