Page 1 of 3
My mum just came in while I was listening to Verse and she said "WHAT IS THAT PERSON TRYING TO SING!" and cause I'm in a band that plays this type of music all of a sudden she is like "Don't try to sound like them... try sound like people that can sing!". she then turned off my stereo and told me only to listen to "this music" on my ipod... oh well.

ARGH. Well anyways. If you listen to metal or hardcore or jazz or anything really.
Do your parents care about your taste of music and have they ever actually gone to the point when they say you can't listen to it?
I've been really lucky in that my mum's been pretty reasonable as I've grown up. She didn't like explicit lyrics CDs when I was around 13, but I've got two older brothers who at the time were listening mainly to hip-hop so me listening to Wheatus and Limp Bizkit wasn't such a big deal (luckily she never heard 'Hotdog' or the like... haha).

When I got into heavier music, she was a bit worried for a while - especially when she heard the lyrics to 'P.L.U.C.K.' by System of a Down and didn't get that it was an anti-genocide song. Bless her.

My mum quite likes some of the stuff I listen to. She likes Wheatus and Evanescence, and really likes Brian Molko's voice.
My parents have no idea what I listen to, and why should they? My mom would probably freak out or something if she knew I listened to death metal, and I prefer to not torture my parents, thats why I use headphones.
Quote by PhobiXa
Music that involves screaming or shouting rather than conventional singing.

ah, sorry misread that sentence (though you had like a collection.....smooth jazz on your ipod, not that ipod implied headphones)
Nah, they're pretty cool, I think the harder punk stuff like Black Flag bemuses them however.
if you are young then I guess you'll have to listen to her I suppose, I've never had that problem and it's pretty small minded of someone to shoot down the music you like, my mums fine I even talk her round to listening to some of my stuff usually haha
Quote by Irontallica09
if you are young then I guess you'll have to listen to her I suppose, I've never had that problem and it's pretty small minded of someone to shoot down the music you like, my mums fine I even talk her round to listening to some of my stuff usually haha

Haha I'm 14, so I kinda have to listen if I don't want to get banned from doing stuff.
I would think she would be used to it though.. like when I was 6 I listened to Disturbed.... meh.
hahah and yesterday I was blasting Parkway Drive on my stereo, but I think was cause it was the middle of the day and she probably couldn't tell what it was.
if my mom knew i listened to like death metal or melodic death metal or even power metal, i wouldn't be alive today. then again, i think because dragonforce is 1/5 asian, it cancels out.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
My parents don't mind. It's nice to see my coming in to my room dad air guitaring every once in a while.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
my mum and dad pretty much like the same music as me, so it's all good
originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
Quote by rockinlewis
my mum and dad pretty much like the same music as me, so it's all good

LUCKY! Coming from an asian family, i think they'd much rather preferred me to love math metal or something.
Im 15 and my parents always listened to classic rock so theyre cool with that and they can usually handle some of the old school metal but i just kinda avoid playing like cannibal corpse and stuff around them. In fact, my dad gives me more weird looks when I listen to Jazz and Classical than when I listen to Death
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
My mum went to Slayer with me... I was scared I'd get bounced, like at Black Label Society. God that sucked But yeahh she likes the same music as me so no need to worry. Except she doesn't like new age, jazz, blues and classical stuff as much as me, only the rock and metal.
Quote by racerXazn
LUCKY! Coming from an asian family, i think they'd much rather preferred me to love math metal or something.

HAHAHAH. Math metal cause your asian.
That sounds exactly like my asian friend that hates like all rock music but now loves guitar hero and his parents have no idea what to do.
Quote by PhobiXa
HAHAHAH. Math metal cause your asian.
That sounds exactly like my asian friend that hates like all rock music but now loves guitar hero and his parents have no idea what to do.

you know hes going to get beaten or something.
To be honest I find it irritating having to steal my CD's back from mother.
Seems to have grown a taste for QOTSA and System.
My mum tends to like some of my music, but just like all mums, she draws the line when it comes to really heavy stuff.
I'm pretty sure my dad thinks I listen to the one band, cause I don't see him very often.
Oh well, he got me into Chisel and AC/DC at a young age
My dad was one of the main reasons I got into music. Not only did he introduce me to the blues, but he also exposed me to classic rock and metal. So we have pretty much the same tastes, except that now I can listen to death metal in addition to what he showed me.
My parents really don't know what I listen to, which is honestly a bit of everything

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
My parents were pretty much my foundations in music. I remember at such a young age my dad playing and singing "Take it Easy" by the Eagles to me.

On car trips, always playing would be Dire Straits, Cream, The Eagles, Chris Rea, Phil Collins, Wishbone Ash or Led Zep. This is the kind of music my parents love and although I stray from it quite a bit, I still love it all and on long car journeys, I'm lucky enough that this is the stuff that gets played.
My mum was cool with it when I listened to Megadeth and Machinehead, but she was very happy when I started listening to JJ and John Butler and more mellowed stuff.
I play guitar. So I joined a club about it.

Quote by copet
Why has Kirk Hammett not been in G3? Figure Joe has invited him but he is too busy with Metallica?

Quote by SaXXoN
My parents were pretty much my foundations in music. I remember at such a young age my dad playing and singing "Take it Easy" by the Eagles to me.

On car trips, always playing would be Dire Straits, Cream, The Eagles, Chris Rea, Phil Collins, Wishbone Ash or Led Zep. This is the kind of music my parents love and although I stray from it quite a bit, I still love it all and on long car journeys, I'm lucky enough that this is the stuff that gets played.

That's awesome. We used to get Harry Chapin, The Beatles and Dr. Hook - I'm a big fan of all three to this day.
When I was little my Dad told me that all heavy metal was about killing and it was a 'real unsubtle type of rock music, the guitarists only play chords, it's really 'thrash-and-bash' music and there's really nothing to like about it." I have since become a mettle head and shown him Opeth and Children Of Bodom, needless to say he changed his mind.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Yeah...my rents dont know what i listen to, probably for the better
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
my Dad and i both love the oldie rock tunes but im getting more into jazz and heavier rock and he is getting back into mainstream country. bleh.
Quote by Oli_88
To be honest I find it irritating having to steal my CD's back from mother.
Seems to have grown a taste for QOTSA and System.

Ahh, that is one downside to having your mother liking the same music as you, but mind you, I steal her Children Of Bodom, Dream Theater and other CD's of the sort. She has an Ipod now though so it's not as much of a problem as it was before, thing is her Ipod is litterally my Itunes playlist which is pretty much all the bands she likes plus some she doesn't know, then she always comes up to me and asks me about the bands on it etc. and comments on how she likes them. And some of this is like Lamb of God, Parkway Drive, and other bands of the sort.
Me and my family have very different musical tastes, but I'm lucky wnough to have a somewhat reasonable family. Other than my uncle, who's a fundie christian anti-metal ignorant piece of assfaggotry.
Well, my dad has failry varied tastes in music. He likes the Beatles, the Beach boys and 60's ish stuff(I guess because that's when he was a teenager), as well as a lot of classical stuff, and(more worryingly) Hammond organ music and brass bands(the latter possibly the influence of his time in the Army).
He's never told me what I can or can't listen to(though occasionally he has put his foot down over the volume).
My dad was listening to The Smashing Pumpkins the other day, I was impressed.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
My mom listens to almost every type of music out there, and my dad's a metalhead, so they don't give me any problems with what I listen to
My mother used to secretly sing along to At The Drive-In when she thought I wouldn't notice. Bare in mind she was born in 1942 and is a Cliff Richard fan.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Jan 31, 2008,
My parents want me to listen to traditional turkish music and say that Im going to hell because I listen to metal.

Wait, thats just my dad.

My mum likes Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Black Sabbath (she got me into sabbath).

My dad hates everything except traditional turkish folk music. I cant listen to that stuff. I hate it... Mostly because it reminds me of my father.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
my parents are totally fine with everything.

my mum goes to concerts with me.... *cough* yes... she moshes
My mum is pretty cool and will listen to anything.

My dad is into classic rock.
my dad likes my taste my rock music, and my mom likes my occasional taste in blues and electronic.
but im more into metal, which they know, but since myu lil sister is into it as well, i think they expect me to guide her when it comes to music.....
Page 1 of 3