I saw a page about Neil Young's 'Old Black' Guitar, and there was a mod on his guitar that allowed the signal to bypass the potentiometers and capacitors (as put by the wiki article) and go directly to the amplifier by the flick of a switch.

How would this sound? Would it be difficult to do and would it be worth it anyways?
Slightly more volume and treble/clarity. It's not really difficult to do, but IMO it's not worth it. You could try wiring your pickups straight to the output jack, to see if you like it.
Quote by kenan6346
I saw a page about Neil Young's 'Old Black' Guitar, and there was a mod on his guitar that allowed the signal to bypass the potentiometers and capacitors (as put by the wiki article) and go directly to the amplifier by the flick of a switch.

How would this sound? Would it be difficult to do and would it be worth it anyways?
It would sound slightly louder and very strong in treble.
having some resistance in parallel with the output pushes the resonant peak of the pickup to somewhere between 2~6 hHz, depending on the pickup. With no resistor in parallel and just the cable capacitance, the peak will be somewhere around 6~20 kHz, depending on the pickup and the capacitance of the cable.

To make a long story short:

It will sound very bright.
It is easy to do.
You will only need to add a DPDT switch
(either mini-toggle or push-pull on a pot.)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Finally, someone else who wants to do this mod! I did a similar mod earlier to my LP, but with mine, i can roll the volume down on the bridge and with the flip of a switch, Im back at full volume. Im not sure if the potentiometer is entirely bypassed, but its usefull for songs like Down by the River, Cinnamon girl etc.

If you search for it, i think you can find the thread, i dont remember if there is a diagram posted, but i do believe the SYK and Azreal helped me.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
ok thanks for your help . i'm sorta planning to make a guitar, I dont know when I will maybe in the holidays, but i'll probably put one of these into it.