i was initially going to make this a "Protest the Hero vs. Between the Buried and Me" thread but i decided, why not include The Fall Of Troy, Opeth, Behold...the Arctopus, etc. So what's UG's favorite modern progressive band?

For me, I've gotta say its a tie between PTH and BTBAM, though Becoming the Archetype and The Dillinger Escape Plan come in super close.
Quote by joeyj123
there are 11 words in 'the alphabet'
Dream Theater.

Anyway why not take this to the relevant forums where this is discussed to death?
you know that progressive music is still happening in directions other than metal?
Rush, Dream Theater, The parts of Coheed that are actually Progressive (though I love it all).
omg already best thread ever.

the mars volta, dream theater, circa survive, coheed, fall of troy, tool etc etc etc.

doesnt get better than that.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
omg already best thread ever.

the mars volta, dream theater, circa survive, coheed, fall of troy, tool etc etc etc.

doesnt get better than that.

opeth.

it just got better.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by seljer
you know that progressive music is still happening in directions other than metal?

sure i do. thats why i put the thread in the pit. it doesnt go anywhere else. oh yeah, and i forgot The Sound Of Animals Fighting.
Quote by joeyj123
there are 11 words in 'the alphabet'
The Fall of Troy just steal from TMV, what's progressive about that? I still love them, though.

Anyway, Portugal. The Man.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i'm real new to the progressive genre, but between the buried and me are my favourite, elitists, get back in your holes.

i showed my mate (singer) the intros of like, 2 of there songs, he walks right into jb and buys colours.
Quote by 1h81337
sure i do. thats why i put the thread in the pit. it doesnt go anywhere else. oh yeah, and i forgot The Sound Of Animals Fighting.
What about Bands & Artists?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The Fall of Troy just steal from TMV, what's progressive about that? I still love them, though.

Anyway, Portugal. The Man.

i've only heard their first album and its goddamn impressive if you take into account they were 17 when it was recorded
Porcupine Tree, Coheed, Marillion, Protest The Hero... Four of my favourite bands.

I like what I've heard of The Mars Volta. Been meaning to buy one or two of their CDs for absolutely ages, but I never remember when I'm out shopping.
Three (3) with Joey Eppard is amazing. They sound similar to Coheed and Cambria. Probably because Josh Eppard from Coheed used to play with them.
Fall of Troy
Portugal. The Man
Dillinger Escape Plan
The Human Abstract
Between the Buried and Me
The Mars Volta
The Number 12 Looks Like You

those are my favorite. but ive never really considered Protest the Hero to be progressive. Well i guess they are now
The Mars Volta, Muse, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy, Between The Buried and Me, Three, Rush

I don't know if these bands are prog??

Red Sparowes, Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Opeth, period.
Ibanez Universe w/ EMG 707 > Ibanez TS9 > Boss NS2 > Peavey xxx > custom 4x12 w/ 2 veteran 30's & 2 et65's
i listen to coheed, fall of troy, and the mars volta on a regular basis

i would say rush but i dont think they are modern

edit:hmm lots of people are mentioning opeth maybe i should check them out...
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by wecotah
Three (3) with Joey Eppard is amazing. They sound similar to Coheed and Cambria. Probably because Josh Eppard from Coheed used to play with them.

I doubt that. Joey eppard was the drummer for both bands, the highlight of 3 is Joey Eppard's singing and playing, the highlight of Coheed is Claudio and Travis' guitar playing. both bands having the same drummer had little impact on their sound. If anything, they sound alike because they have similar influences and came up playing in the same underground scene.
woohoo!
nobody likes Spiral Architect, Dysrhythmia, or Canvas Solaris?

EDIT: and what about Porcupine Tree and Ayreon? you're all crazy.