hey guys, the other day i was carryingaround a tennis ball and dicking around and then decided to start squeezing it with my hand and different fingers, well anyway after about 3 days of that I noticed a huge difference in my finger and hand strength playing the guitar, especially on barre chrods. Hope this can can help someone else
there's little tools for it too cost a lot more than a tennisball me thinks.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I guess ill go out and buy a tennis ball then. Thats way better than those dumb finger exercising machine things that you can buy in guitar stores, and way cheaper
Quote by yamakid17
hey guys, the other day i was carryingaround a tennis ball and ....

Not a particularly new idea. The Gripmasters are a bit better because they work
each finger in isolation if you're going for Hulk-like fingers.

I think people mistake they need a lot of finger strength because they're constantly
fighting through tension and use excessive pressure on the fingerboard. If you
play lighty and accurately you need surprisingly little finger strength. Not to mention
you're much readier for the next note and that directly translates into speed.

You may derive a few extra nanos by doing these finger builders when you don't have
your guitar handy, but if you do, pick up your guitar instead.
I can see how that would help with barre chords though. You do need to apply quite a bit of pressure in order to get all of the strings to ring out, especially on certain shapes.

I think I'll try this out. Thanks.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
I can see how that would help with barre chords though. You do need to apply quite a bit of pressure in order to get all of the strings to ring out, especially on certain shapes.

I think I'll try this out. Thanks.

what would be just as effective would be to play songs with barre chords in them. (assuming you have time to practice your guitar).

Im not saying the tennis ball thing wont help, but I am saying that if you just play your guitar often you wont really need to do anything like that.

Keep in mind part of the issue is calluses..... which are just as important and will really only build up by actually playing.
Quote by GuitarMunky
what would be just as effective would be to play songs with barre chords in them. (assuming you have time to practice your guitar).

Im not saying the tennis ball thing wont help, but I am saying that if you just play your guitar often you wont really need to do anything like that.

That is true, but you're forgetting something. If you are only capable of playing barre chords for maybe a few minutes without getting really sore in your wrist, then you won't get much better by playing those few minutes. The best way to get your hand's strength up would be to do something a lot more strenuous than doing barre chords. That way, when you go to play one, it will be nothing compared to what you were doing before. This is essentially the same method used by athletes, if you think about it. Train yourself past the point where you want to be, so that when you need to do whatever you were training for, it will be easy.

Of course, using a wrist-strength-developing device of some sort wouldn't work the same exact muscles as playing barre chords, so it wouldn't work out perfectly like that. But a good idea would be to play barre chords on a really thick-stringed acoustic guitar if you want to be able to play them better on a thinner-stringed electric.

Quote by GuitarMunky
Keep in mind part of the issue is calluses..... which are just as important and will really only build up by actually playing.

Yeah, that's true as well. Without building calluses on whatever part of your finger you use to barre, you won't be able to get any pressure on those spots. Good point.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole

Actually, you'd be surprised how little effort even a barre chord needs. If you use
the weight of your relaxed arm to do the work and then just focus the pressure
by stiffening your fingers. It's not much at all. It seems like more because you're
trying to force, rather than finesse it.
Quote by edg
Actually, you'd be surprised how little effort even a barre chord needs. If you use
the weight of your relaxed arm to do the work and then just focus the pressure
by stiffening your fingers. It's not much at all. It seems like more because you're
trying to force, rather than finesse it.

Ya know, I've read (probably on this forum, and probably something you posted) that using your arm's weight for barre chords really helps, but I've never really tried it. I'll have to break out an acoustic and mess around with that and see how it goes.
Quote by seedmole
Ya know, I've read (probably on this forum, and probably something you posted) that using your arm's weight for barre chords really helps, but I've never really tried it. I'll have to break out an acoustic and mess around with that and see how it goes.

Lol. yeah it probably was me.

Not just for barre chords. Think about it. You've got this arm weighing a couple
of pounds. If you relax it gravity pulls it down. With good form in your fingers,
you can leverage all that pressure right onto the strings with just a slight
stiffening of the finger to direct the weight. Instead of squeezing with the hand
and putting the fingers in bad position to play the next note, they just have to
unstiffen and they're ready to move on. That pretty much directly translates
into speed at some point.
i didn't start doing the tennis ball because i had problems holding anything down, I just had the ball and tried it and it just made it easier, so why not. And for just playing guitar instead, I only use the tennis ball when Im at work walking around. I work at a desk so i can just kind of have it there and squeeze on it while im doing other work, because of course if i was home i wouldn't just squeeze a ball instead of playing. Anyways i hope that this will hope someone else. Its just something that you dont really need to set anytime aprt for it, just do it when u have a free hand during normal things.