Hey sports fans,

I've a Schecter Ultra I'm about to tweak and wanted to canvass opinion first.

I love the guitar to bits- it's a real keeper- but have two things I don't like about it. 1. the Duncan Designed pickups are low on power and fairly mediocre and 2. the push/pull tone control has the even range I've ever seen. It's the same from 10 all the way down to 2 and then suddenly you've completely turned your tone off.

So, I've got a DiMarzio Tone Zone and PAF Pro on the way and while I'm soldering I'm going to swap the offending push/pull pot and tweak the electrics a bit too.

I'm going to add a third pot for more flexibility and for aesthetic and practical reasons can't add a fourth. Which you fellas think is the better set-up;

A. one global volume and then two coil tap and tone controls, one for each pickup.

B. one volume control for each pickup and then a single coil tap / tone control that operates on both pickups simultaneously.

I can think of advantage to both, A. would allow me to blend single coil and humbucker sounds along with changing the tone independently albeit at a single volume level for both pickups. B. would allow me to blend humbucking or single coil sounds in isolation with control over the volume for each pickup but with just one overall tone control.

Hmmm!
i prefer the two tone with one volume, i just like being able to have my tones preset and if I have to switch pickups, theyre just how i like them. thats my preference.
Quote by mothercruncher
A. one global volume and then two coil tap and tone controls, one for each pickup.

B. one volume control for each pickup and then a single coil tap / tone control that operates on both pickups simultaneously.

I can think of advantage to both, A. would allow me to blend single coil and humbucker sounds along with changing the tone independently albeit at a single volume level for both pickups. B. would allow me to blend humbucking or single coil sounds in isolation with control over the volume for each pickup but with just one overall tone control.

Hmmm!
Having a global tone control with separate volume controls on each pickup is the worse possible choice, imho. That requires the tone control to be connected after the selector switch, and volume control.

Doing that makes the treble cut highly dependent on the position of your volume control(s). With the volume(s) on max you might roll your tone part of the way down and get a moderate reduction of treble. But if you turn down the volume controls, with that same tone control setting, your treble is annihilated.

The only non-fussy way to use a single tone control in a 2 volume system, is to connect it to only 1 pickup. OR get a tandem pot that has 2 elements operated by the same shaft (and knob).

my $.02
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I'd say B, but I'd stick to those mods if I were you...
That finish is the ****t, don't mess around with that
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
I'd say B, but I'd stick to those mods if I were you...
That finish is the ****t, don't mess around with that
Why would you say B?

Have you ever actually used a guitar that was wired that way? I have. It's horrible.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Why would you say B?

Have you ever actually used a guitar that was wired that way? I have. It's horrible.

my guitar is wired that way and I have no problems with it. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just sayin'.
The 2 vol pots can be really useful, I prefer them to 2 tone pots which I find to be less helpful for creating tambral variation...
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Just experiment with it and see what you like best. My vote would be for 2 volumes and one tone though....
Interesting guys, really appreciate the thoughts. I hear you SomeoneYouKnew re: the possible tone pot issue if it's positioned oddly- I hadn't thought of that. I'm still mulling things over in preperation for a bit of modding next week...
I forgot to say, a bit of research and it seems the later Ultra models (mine's a 2005) that use three pots all go for the one volume / two tone and coil split appraoch.
You could do two volumes, and a varitone.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
You could put a concentric pot in place of one of the three giving you the availability of the four knobs.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
I got a 5-way switch, 2 vol pots and a master tone on my guitar (2 humbuckers)..
it's actually kinda cool.. very versatile .
can't help with the wiring since i haven't done it..

but a different idea would be to do 1 vol, 1 tone and 1 bass contour (reverend guitars are the only ones i know doing those, and again, i don't have a clue on how they do it)