I'm in need of a new amp, and since ive been told tubes are the better way to go, Im looking for the best versatile tube amp. My price range is $1500 canadian but might go higher if worth it. I have an Epiphone Dot and play from Metallica to RHCP.

A specific model would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Btw, its an amp needed for band practice and gigging
vox ac30?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
But will only 3o watts be loud enough for gigging? Sorry for the questions, I'm relatively new with amps.
yea, its a terribly loud amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Thanks for the reccomendation, but just to ask again to be sure, wil this amp suit my metal needs when on heavy distortion?
takes pedals pretty well, and even though i havent personally tried its metal abilities, a metal head friend of mine did and really liked it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I don't think the AC30 is all that flexible unless you start putting pedals in front of it. That's just speaking from my very myopic position of spending a little while with one. I wasn't really turned on by it. Boogies in Canada are probably too expensive. What about ENGL? We don't really have them in the States, but you should be able to find them in Canada.
Hi, I'm Peter
Mesa Boogie Rectoverb.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
The Switchblade is $1500(50w combo and head) the 100w combo is $1600 in America, don't know about Canadian.
4 channel, sounds really good, great distortion, pretty nice cleans, built in reverb, delay, flanger, tremolo, and chorus. All settings are stored on the MIDI controller(stores up to 128).

And 50w would definitely be enough for gigging, tube amps get LOUD!!!!! I put my amp on about 4-5 and it shakes my house.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
We have ENGL's in the states. Ever heard of musicians friend?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=engl
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^ I don't buy what I can't play, and I know there are a handful of places that actually carry ENGL, but they're not exactly everywhere. I think there are maybe ten in the US.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 31, 2008,
take a serious look into a peavey JSX. It can do it all, but you gotta like its feel. Its kinda modern sounding even though it has el34s.
its high gain is very nice sounding though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ I don't buy what I can't play, and I know there are a handful of places that actually carry ENGL, but they're not exactly everywhere. I think there are maybe ten in the US.

Yeah, you really got a point...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
We don't have ENGLs in Canada...not that I can find anyway...
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
where are you at in canada?

Cosmo's in richmond hill sells Engls.. I got mine there for 1399. (Screamer)
Genz Benz would get all those done, also a mesa rectoverb or a ENGL, look into a screamer from ENGL
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Maybe the Fender Supersonic. That goes from clean to high gain very well. Or save a bundle and go with a Traynor YCV 50 Blue. Great amp built right in Canada.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Verydian-Sky
But will only 3o watts be loud enough for gigging? Sorry for the questions, I'm relatively new with amps.

Wattage doesn't measure volume. Even 5 watts would be intolerable to be in the same room with when cranked.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ 5W of tube might be louder than someone might expect, but it's certainly "tolerable."

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Rivera Tre-Knuckle Head
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by slatsmania
^ 5W of tube might be louder than someone might expect, but it's certainly "tolerable."

Cranked? You would suffer hearing loss.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I live in Montreal area, my local music stoes are Steves, Archambault and Ita Melody but have not yet seen any ENGL's. I appreaciate and consider all the suggestions you guys have given, but I've been interested in the Vox Ac30 . Any more advice or critique on this amp specifically would be helpful. Thanks
And if it's any consolation, metal isnt a priority in my playing style, though more of a "punkish/hardcore" style such as old Rise Against to Refused. That I'll say is probably the heaviest I'll go if ever gigging.
Quote by Verydian-Sky
And if it's any consolation, metal isnt a priority in my playing style, though more of a "punkish/hardcore" style such as old Rise Against to Refused. That I'll say is probably the heaviest I'll go if ever gigging.

I love the AC30. It's not a real heavy amp on it's own. I'd say you'd be looking at Clash/U2 type of punk sounds rather than hardcore. Listen to some Queen albums to get an idea of the spectrum of the AC30. Brain May's probably taken the amp just about everywhere it can go.

The downside of the amp is that while it has two channels, it essentially behaves as a one channel amp. I really like that Supersonic, and think the Genz Benz and Rivera recommendations deserve some consideration as well.

Good luck.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
To be perfectly honest I would say take a good look at the Traynor YCS100H. Had I played one before I bought my Soldano I probably wouldn't have a Soldano. In fact I'm still debating picking one up for use as a backup. It's a three channel with independent preamp sections and a host of other features. That and it sounds fantastic.

Outside of that, you're not likely to go wrong with Rivera or Genz Benz. I love the AC30 with a passion but out of the box it lacks the versatility that most of the more modern stuff has.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
id say a genz benz...or an engl like suggested before...your looking for quite a variable amp since you wanting rhcp aswell as tallica...

Id say perhaps a marhsall jvm if they arent too expensive over there? im not sure about the price over there...or a jcm800 with a tubescreamer infront of it would do chillis and tallica pretty good!
Quote by hendriko
takes pedals pretty well, and even though i havent personally tried its metal abilities, a metal head friend of mine did and really liked it

I don't see the point of buying an amp with the intentions of running pedals through it to make it usable. Over $600 or so is when you should buy gear that suits you as is, not a blues amp that takes this pedal to make it a metal amp, this delay to make it a shred amp, this eq to make it even more versatile.

For $1500 canadian you should be able to find a few boogies used under that price. You can definatly find a Mesa F series for that much. Possibly a used Stiletto Ace, or a stiletto Duce head (I've seen em sell for $850 usd on Ebay). I haven't tried the Carvin V3 but it doesn't seem like a bad option at all.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Alright so I've narrowed it down to the Vox AC30 and the Carvin V3. Out of the two, which has the better tone as they are both tube amps? But if I'm not mistaken and correct me if so, the V3 is simply a tube head, so if you reccomend it over the AC30, what cab would best suit it?
alright bro,
if you willing to wait a while until you get a cab, then check into a peavey 6560 or a peavey JSX one of those amps listed will blow your mind with distortion and tone alone.
p.s
there's alot of canadians in this forum today....one of them being me...EH?
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by Verydian-Sky
Alright so I've narrowed it down to the Vox AC30 and the Carvin V3. Out of the two, which has the better tone as they are both tube amps? But if I'm not mistaken and correct me if so, the V3 is simply a tube head, so if you reccomend it over the AC30, what cab would best suit it?

I'd go with the V3. I can guarantee an amp that does high gain alone is going to be better than any medium gain amp + distortion pedal.

Carvin sells a V3 combo for about $1,200.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would go with Carvin. I'm a fellow Soviet Canuckistani, and as far as value for money goes, Carvin owns. I haven't heard the V3, but the Legacy rules.
no