hey, i just got a Harley Benton GA5H (Valve Junior clone pretty much).

Its the head, so the speaker isnt the weak link here.

well for the first hour or so i played it it sounded ok, then the next day i played it for a while and it sounded better.

basically do tubes take a bit of playing in before they sound their best?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

um kinda. and also they need to be warmed up real good for them to sound their best and the amp needs to be cranked.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
I don't think so...I know that speakers need wearing in to sound their best so maybe that's what it was?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
well the speaker i bought secondhand and i have been using it with another tube amp for about a year or so.

also i have the VJ clone cranked all the way (its not really loud IMO)

the tubes are stock so they are probably garbage. maybe its due to the low volume even when cranked that im not appreciating the tone?

I might listen to it mic'd up tomorrrow and see how it sounds...
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

my Laney LC15r sounded awful when i got it new... i very almost took it back but gave it a week and it now sounds fantastic. In my limited experience, you need to break the speaker in before they sound good, but obviously that isnt your issue here. There is probably a degree of difference to the valves, but my problem was with the speakers. Only sure was to know is to play it non stop for a week. I was suprised at the difference in tone a week made!
Quote by buzz
well the speaker i bought secondhand and i have been using it with another tube amp for about a year or so.

also i have the VJ clone cranked all the way (its not really loud IMO)

the tubes are stock so they are probably garbage. maybe its due to the low volume even when cranked that im not appreciating the tone?

I might listen to it mic'd up tomorrrow and see how it sounds...

There might be something wrong because in my experience the 5 watts on that thing will make walls shake a little. I would just change the tubes if I were you.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
There might be something wrong because in my experience the 5 watts on that thing will make walls shake a little. I would just change the tubes if I were you.

not really too fussed at the minute, ill see if things improve with it.

i have 2 other amazing amps anyway (not bragging, they are very cheap and vintage, they sound great to me) so this was just bought because it was cheap and for the pseudo-Marshall sounds the VJ's (and clones) claim to have.

Its a longterm project for modding anyway.

cheers for all the input guys n gals
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

um, well that sounds strange to me, maybe you got a dud? 'cause mine sounded awesome as soon as i first plugged in, and its loud, or mine is, and i have the combo. A valve change is a must though, JJs in mine, sounds great.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by hairball
um, well that sounds strange to me, maybe you got a dud? 'cause mine sounded awesome as soon as i first plugged in, and its loud, or mine is, and i have the combo. A valve change is a must though, JJs in mine, sounds great.

might be a dud, dunno. like i said i played it for about an hour the first day, and about 40minutes the second day and it did sound much better.

might rectify itself over a few more days.

also CJRocker its not the speaker, im playing the head through a combo that has a Celestion, the speaker is rated to handle high wattage, i forget how much or what the name of the speaker is.

regardless the speaker is played in for sure.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

i'd go for keep playing it for a while, give it a week, see if it gets much better, then get in touch with the guys at thomann, they've handled my enquiries brilliantly and i've never had any problems with them.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Yup,

check out the tubes, they might need to be replaced. As for the speakers, considering it's used, I'm pretty sure they're already broken in.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Could be tubes warming up. Usually they get adequately warm within a min or so, but they start to sound even better after half an hour or something of solid playing.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure