Hey guys. I've been listening to and learning a lot of cleaner stuff lately. Santana and Dire Straits etc. The problem is I have a 5150 so getting as nice a clean tone is near impossible. So I'm curious as to what kind of amp I'd need. I'm not looking for a big amp, just a smallish, (15-50 watts) tube amp.

Any recommendations?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
So you want a nice clean tone or you want a smooth lead tone like his?

Santana uses Mesa Mark IIC+ amps if I'm not mistaken, which is by no means a cheap amp, for a real one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i think he plays mesa boogies, not rectifiers though.
i actually think he came up with the "boogie" in their name
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by MatrixClaw

Santana uses Mesa Mark IIC+ amps if I'm not mistaken, which is by no means a cheap amp, for a real one.

I know totally random, but you live in a place called Mesa! How kickass is that!?

Keep in mind that 99% of the time Carlos uses a PRS. Orgasmic tone. What guitar you using?

Also, be more specific. Do you want a Blues For Salvador type tone, or a orgasm Black Magic Woman tone?
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by MatrixClaw

I was under the impression he has 2 Mark I's and uses the Mark IIC+ if both others go bad.
He actually used Mark I's and a Nomad before. Now he mostly using Dumbles.

The IIC+ is a great gain monster, but not really his thing.

Try a used Mark I, a reissue, a Nomad, even a Rectoverb on the Vintage channel (I can nail his tone on that).

The Marks are sweet though too, and can get that tone pretty easily. A good humbucker guitar (not an Ibanez metal head guitar) will help get that thick tone too. Another note is to use the tone knob, roll it off a little or a lot here and there - something he frequently does to round out his tone. A lot of smooth high gain will help get that singing feedback he gets.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
He doesn't play mesa's anymore from what I remember, he did though.
For a great clean I'd go for fender amps. I expect that's what Knopfler would use. But I haven't checked any sites. Check on wikipedia, they have what gear people use which is generally somewhat reliable, or a site liek guitargeek.com maybe..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Yeah, I can nail his tone with my Road King and Custom 24. Santana uses an original Mesa Boogie Mark 1 from 1970's. He also has a sweet Dumble Super Overdrive...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by i(ncubus)play

Keep in mind that 99% of the time Carlos uses a PRS. Orgasmic tone. What guitar you using?

Also, be more specific. Do you want a Blues For Salvador type tone, or a orgasm Black Magic Woman tone?

I'd be using my Tokai Ls1000. So my guitar is nice. And more for the orgasmo Black Magic Woman.

And to the first poster, kind of both. The 5150 has neither really so anything is an improvment. I'd say the smooth lead tone is the priority but nice cleans would be nice aswell.

EDIT: By the way. I don't want to completly emulate his tone. I just want an amp that could give me something similar, at the moment I'm all gain and it sounds stupid playing Santana through a 5150.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Jan 31, 2008,
http://www.santana.com/musicianscorner/layout/index.html

The tabs section on that site has been "under development" for quite a while though

EDIT:
Quote by jambi_mantra
EDIT: By the way. I don't want to completly emulate his tone. I just want an amp that could give me something similar, at the moment I'm all gain and it sounds stupid playing Santana through a 5150.

Have you tried something like an EHX Big Muff with the amp set to give a clean tone? I think that would give you something nice and smooth without costing too much. Then use the neck pickup on your guitar, roll the tone down, maybe a bit down on the volume as well.
Last edited by whoismilan at Jan 31, 2008,
^^ I hadn't thought of that. I assumed seeing as everyone bashed 5150s clean tone I thought I'd get something specific to it.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
So, after looking at prices, I'm not getting a mesa mark 1 coz I don't wanna spend £900 on it.

Should I get a new amp that has nice cleans and a smooth lead tone, like Santana's. OR should I do what was recommended above and stick something like a big muff on my 5150's rhythm channel?

If you pick yes for the new amp, any recommendations as to what to look at?

Thanks

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by dgonz
The Marks are sweet though too, and can get that tone pretty easily. A good humbucker guitar (not an Ibanez metal head guitar) will help get that thick tone too. Another note is to use the tone knob, roll it off a little or a lot here and there - something he frequently does to round out his tone. A lot of smooth high gain will help get that singing feedback he gets.

I agree. I can't achieve that tone in my strat for the love of God. I used to own a SG400 and tones like that can easily be achieved on many different amps. Single coils just aren't built for that kinda stuff.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
A strat in position 2 through a fender amp nails mark knopfler.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by jambi_mantra
So, after looking at prices, I'm not getting a mesa mark 1 coz I don't wanna spend £900 on it.

Should I get a new amp that has nice cleans and a smooth lead tone, like Santana's. OR should I do what was recommended above and stick something like a big muff on my 5150's rhythm channel?

If you pick yes for the new amp, any recommendations as to what to look at?

Thanks

I vote new amp because the 5150's clean isn't much to listen to. How much money do you have to spend?
^^ At a push £500 preferably less though. I'm not looking for anything massive. I don't wanna go any larger than a 2x12 combo really.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
A cranked blues jr or somethin, maybe with an OD. I think that and the right pup selection could definitely derive some Santana.

Edit: I also heard that high gain JJ's make the 5150's clean channel sound a little better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 1, 2008,
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-classic-30/446

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74524

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-blues-junior/341

I would really go for one of those. I would probably want the Windsor Studio but nobody really knows if they will have any cleans. The features are amazing though and it is worth trying out. The VC30 will be more like a Vox AC30.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll check those out next time I'm at a store.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by omghi2u
I agree. I can't achieve that tone in my strat for the love of God. I used to own a SG400 and tones like that can easily be achieved on many different amps. Single coils just aren't built for that kinda stuff.

Surprisingly, my Strat is what I nail this on. But it's got different pickups (blue lace in the neck, silver lace in the middle). Between both, I can get his newer "Smooth" tone or older Abraxas tone on the Vintage channel of my Rectoverb II combo.

That thick tone and singing gain that feedsback when you hold notes is addictive to jam on.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz
Surprisingly, my Strat is what I nail this on. But it's got different pickups (blue lace in the neck, silver lace in the middle). Between both, I can get his newer "Smooth" tone or older Abraxas tone on the Vintage channel of my Rectoverb II combo.

That thick tone and singing gain that feedsback when you hold notes is addictive to jam on.

I got YJMs + Fast track on mine, that's probably why.
Fender Strat
He's got a Mesa Mark I i believe for Distorted tones, and a Dumble (forget what it's called) for cleans. I believe he also boosts the Mesa with an Ibanez TS808.
Quote by omghi2u

thats funny because he origninally used an sg from the 60's with p-90's... which are single coils.

but yeah dumble or mesa seem like a good bet... i was able to get it out of a used mesa express 5:25... but i dont know if everything was orignal in that amp
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Just for future reference, and because it's bugging me (not only you, others do it as well..) :

Two arrows (^^) Generally refers to 2 posts above, hence the two arrows. ^^^ for 3, and ^ for one. It's time-wasting having to look at your post with a ^^ only to figure out 60 seconds later you're refering to the post above.

Santana has used ****loads of guitars and ****loads of different amps in the past and the tone has remained largely unaltered. The 'trick', if there's any here, is to roll off your tone knob and wail away on a steady overdriven tone. You'll most likely be able to get something similar with a 5150.

Quote by latinosuperstud
thats funny because he origninally used an sg from the 60's with p-90's... which are single coils.
P90s aren't single coils.
Last edited by CanCan at Feb 1, 2008,
You could try putting some 12AT7 preamp tubes in the clean section of your amp to decrease the breakup. Should clean up the gain a bit.

An EQ pedal would let you shape your tone to a bit fatter, less chimy clean tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Err, yes it is

http://www.blueshawk.info/p90_pickups.htm

read the first paragraph

Yea...I was gonna buy an Agile with P90s on it but these single coils are fat as hell. They're the same size as humbuckers...not like the ones that fenders come with.

My Fast Track 2 is like a minihumbucker.
Fender Strat
Quote by Don_Humpador
Just for future reference, and because it's bugging me (not only you, others do it as well..) :

Two arrows (^^) Generally refers to 2 posts above, hence the two arrows. ^^^ for 3, and ^ for one. It's time-wasting having to look at your post with a ^^ only to figure out 60 seconds later you're refering to the post above.

I do apologise. I did not know this.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Feb 2, 2008,
He tends to use his Dumble Overdrives a lot....So if you have around $20'000 lying around you might be able to get one of those :L:L You could look at used Mesas, you'll sometimes pick one up pretty cheap on Ebay or Craigslist. I'd stay away from amps like the AC30 or Laney VC30 they're a bit too vintagy and don't really have enough gain for his stuff. I think a Fender Blues Junior with a TS-9 Tube Screamer could get you pretty close to the sound you're looking for but i'm not sure. Have a look at the Peavey Classic 30 aswell, might need an OD with it though
EDIT: Dumble should really make reissues of their amps, they'd be massive!!! I know two-rock make clones of the Dumbles but they're not so easy to get your hands on and probably expensive as hell
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90