Alright so my Carvin sounds a bit too twangy for my tastes, so I was thinking about swapping the neck pickup. I need something that matches the tone of my band. For some example recordings, the link is through my profile. (Best examples would be "Human Hangover" and "Pawn"). So I was hoping to capture that distorted and almost muddy tone.

I was thinking about going for the Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail. Is that a good decision? I need a single coil.
I can't help out, but I'm wondering what Carvin you have. Is it the strat look alike? The Bolt, IIRC?
Tony McAlpine plays one and he rocks with Vai.

Due to a slow connection right now I can't hear your music, but the Dimarzio X2N is really high ouput and is passive. Should help you drive the amp harder.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Yeah it is the Bolt. I'll look into that DiMarzio.

But I found out that Jerry Cantrell uses the Seymour Duncan JB, and I found a single coil version of that. The only reason I say that is because my band draw a lot of influence from Alice in Chains.
I do, but this pickup is for my Carvin Bolt, the strat style.

Would the JB Jr. be good for the bridge then?
For the neck I'd look into something like a DiMarzio blue velvet, very smooth sounding, however if you're looking for a higher output pickup then stick a humbucker in there (presuming you have the bolt (w/ pickguard) and not the bolt+ (without)).
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I thought it was for the neck. Which position is it?

I was thinking of the neck and first, but then I thought about the bridge. My guitar teacher suggested the bridge as well.
I think it might be, but I don't know if I trust myself with cutting out parts of the pickguard.
Nope. Would not match at all with the JB. The JB is a fairly trebley pickup. So if you don't want treble/twang, might be a bad idea.

If you were getting duncans, I'd say a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom, if it was routed for humbuckers underneath. A nice warm pickup, that'll do well in a Strat body.

Just unscrew your pickguard a bit and take a peek underneath. Carvin sells pickguards for their guitars, so just double check with with the screwholes, to make sure they line up.
Yeah that does seem like a choice.

I was checking Carvin's website, and I couldn't find any HSS pickguards on there. I take it that most other HSS pickguards might fit the same?
^I don't think so. At least, I can't be sure. Sometimes screw placement is different.

I coulda sworn they had one, at least in their catalog. You can view their catalog online, but it's missing all of the accessories like tuners and pickguards.

I can't find mine, dunno what happened to it.

Perhaps sign up for the mailed version?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/freecatalog/index.php
If you want to get rid of the twang replace the bridge pup. Or before you go that far, use the volume and tone to adjust your sound at the guitar and make sure your amp is eq'd to a good setting. What do you have it set at now?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I don't think so. At least, I can't be sure. Sometimes screw placement is different.

I coulda sworn they had one, at least in their catalog. You can view their catalog online, but it's missing all of the accessories like tuners and pickguards.

I can't find mine, dunno what happened to it.

Perhaps sign up for the mailed version?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/freecatalog/index.php

I already get the catalog, but for the life of me can't find where it is.

Quote by SpiggidyBob
If you want to get rid of the twang replace the bridge pup. Or before you go that far, use the volume and tone to adjust your sound at the guitar and make sure your amp is eq'd to a good setting. What do you have it set at now?

I'm not competely sure, I use a different amp at band practices than at home.
Some of the reviews are kind of shaky. Is there any PAF style single coils or would I have to get a humbucker?