Page 1 of 4
Basically since vista's been out for a year I think, or close enough to a year. Do you think its worth upgrading now? Most of the glitches have been Ironed out but does anyone who owns Vista think its worth it compared to XP.

This is for general discussion about Vista's worthiness not "lol get linux" or "lol get Mac Leopard "

PSN ID: ArranP
I have Vista. Way too many useless features, IMO. There's still some MAJOR bugs, lots of programs don't work, it randomly deletes my files, lots of other things..

I'd say no.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Not yet. Already switched myself back to XP.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I'm using Vista right now. It's very "gimmicky" and not much of an upgrade. It's Ok, i guess.
Quote by Firequacker
I have Vista. Way too many useless features, IMO. There's still some MAJOR bugs, lots of programs don't work, it randomly deletes my files, lots of other things..

I'd say no.

I've never heard of that for vista, but I don't use it either.

I'm still using XP because

A) I don't have a copy of vista
B) I don't know
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I wouldn't buy it.

Mainly because of the price, it's ridiculous!

If you can get it free or heavily discounted and have a decent computer with 3+ GB of RAM, then get 64 bit Vista
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
I never really understood the differences... you click Start then Internetz and it all works fine.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

vistas so slow and warnings come up every two minutes, do you want to run this CD "allow" etc... yes i want to run it otherwise i wouldnt have put it in my computer, sticking with xp till they phase it out

^disable UAC NOW!
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
It's worth it if you know how to use it.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Ain't worth it.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Vista is fine if you're buying a new computer, but unless you REALLY want a pretty new memory intensive OS, I wouldn't upgrade past XP until you get a new computer. I have it on my new laptop, and I haven't had one problem yet with it other than like one compatibility issue. People just like to bitch about things.
Quote by beeboshain
vistas so slow and warnings come up every two minutes, do you want to run this CD "allow" etc... yes i want to run it otherwise i wouldnt have put it in my computer, sticking with xp till they phase it out

It bugged the hell out of me too when I helped a friend with his computer. I think you can turn it off though (I learned afterwards )
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
microsoft always release windows unfinished. It's like they think releasing software as a finished product and essentially using everyone who buys it as beta testers is ok.

Microsoft: FINISH THINGS BEFORE YOU START CHARGING MONEY FOR THEM!!!!!
Quote by apmaman
Basically since vista's been out for a year I think, or close enough to a year. Do you think its worth upgrading now? Most of the glitches have been Ironed out but does anyone who owns Vista think its worth it compared to XP.

This is for general discussion about Vista's worthiness not "lol get linux" or "lol get Mac Leopard "

lol get Windows ME. It's better I swearz

Stick with XP........
I got a new computer and it has vista.

I enjoy it. but Im not a hardcore computer user, I have had little to no problems with it. All I really do is play games and listen to music
It's definately not worth paying for yet. I'd wait for SP1 to come out before even considering it
Quote by beeboshain

Trust me, it's worth it.

I have Vista now, and I've stopped so many viruses with that little box thing. I go on a website, and something like "kdfjas3234dfjskl.exe" would like to access your computer, Allow/Deny," and it stops the virus.

Personally, I like Vista more than XP, but it's most cause 1: I haven't had any problems with glitches/bugs, and 2: it's more aesthetically pleasing
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
doubt it. pretty but its fluff.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I like it. I can safely say I would not want to go back to using XP after using Vista. Really, a lot of people just bandwagon hating it. I haven't experienced any bugs and the only programs that don't work are obscure ones that the average user probably won't use anyway (EXCEPTION: I've heard some Creative sound cards still don't have drivers out. This is hardly Vista's fault though, this is just Creative being assholes and not releasing drivers).

People saying "get leopard": shut the **** up. This isn't a thread about leopard, get over yourselves.

edit: Also, I agree UAC is annoying and I turned it off. You go into Users under Control Panel to turn it off.

Also, you CAN run it with only 1GB but it will very occasionally lag a bit. I recommend at least 2GB. I upgraded from 1 -> 3 and it has made a noticable difference, especially with RAM prices so cheap nowadays. Vista uses a lot of RAM to cache loads of things, which is a good thing. You have this RAM sitting there, you might as well use it.

Also, you may want to check around. If you're a student you can get a discount on it. I know at my college they offer us completely free, legal installs of Vista Business on as many machines as we want for as long as we want.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jan 31, 2008,
yea vista is totally worth it
im usin it rite now and there alot of things that make it way better than vista
DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE OTHER TOOLS!!!
vista is TOTALLY worth it, its just people are using the minimum requirements and are having lots of bugs

EX:
Vista's base RAM requirement : 2 gigs
Recommend For optimum performanace : at least 3 gigs
what most people use: 2 gigs
=\
see by runnign the bare minimum u get bugs and jumpiness
like it requres 80 gig free hard drive space, but at least 120 is recommended
so its worth it just to run the minimum requirements

moral of story: get a NEW computer befor getting Vista (it should come with the computer anyway) and dont run minimum req' and you'll be another happy windows user like me XD

ps: macs blow, they're totally gay, I used to use them but i find Windows is just SO MUCH BETTER.
I've had Vista Home Premium for a year now. It started out a bit slow (but not stupidly slow), but i've tweaked it a bit (shut off Aero, the Sidebar, some services etc) and it runs just as fast as my sister's XP machine. I'm running (not duo-core) 2GHz/1GB, she's on 1.6GHz duo-core/1GB.

I used Mandrake Linux for a couple of years, and it's ok, and comes with all you need in basics. But if you want to run more advanced software (recording like Ableton, Sonar; notation like Finale) I'm not sure that would work on Linux.

I hate the Mac OS. It doesn't have the same shortcuts as on Windows, and I've grown up with them. It's just a matter of which one you're used to. I now find the Mac OS counterintuitive, because I'm so used to Windows.

I haven't encountered any big bugs, I haven't had any viruses, and I've just gotten used to the whole prompting for permission every time you do something. However, it helps tremendously that I'm the administrator (and only user).

Every bit of Windows-compatible software I've downloaded has worked fine.

But if your computer was built for Windows 2000, or XP SP1, then I would advise strongly against upgrading to Vista, especially if a big factor for you is the pretty looks of it. Any computer made in 2007/8 should be fine.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jan 31, 2008,
well, my uncle has had vista since its early release in November of 2006 (my uncle had a Microsoft licensed thing)

And every now and then i ask how vista is doing and if its worth upgrading, of course the first few months he told me 2 wait but nowdays he sez it kiks ass and its totally worth it. Please note im not saying it's perfect im just saying its more than usable standards.

dopelanger: when you said its very gimmicky and not much of an upgrade

i saw xp as very trendy and gimmicky when it came out

but u have 2 c that there is many things that are better., my uncle tells me its cool that you don't have to restart for abosolutely everything and that the inbuilt firewall in vista is actually very good (its some small things that count)
Last edited by da-bahoo at Jan 31, 2008,
Quote by hybridrocker147
yea vista is totally worth it
im usin it rite now and there alot of things that make it way better than vista

Please fix it.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I have vista on a machine at home and have had 0 problems with it.
The biggest problem I have with Vista is that transfering stuff to/from my Ipod and external hard drive is really ****ing slow. It does crash a lot less than XP though which is good. If SP1 sorts out the USB problems I'l be happy with it
Quote by Kensai
It bugged the hell out of me too when I helped a friend with his computer. I think you can turn it off though (I learned afterwards )

i just couldnt stand it didnt want to turn it off, i shouldnt have to:P

Quote by faultyy
The biggest problem I have with Vista is that transfering stuff to/from my Ipod and external hard drive is really ****ing slow. It does crash a lot less than XP though which is good. If SP1 sorts out the USB problems I'l be happy with it

ive had my pc with xp for 2 years and xps never crashed maybe its you:P

When a program crashes in XP, it (or everything) freezes up; you can't do anything with it but open Task Manager, hit End Process and wait for 5 mins for it to work. In my experience of Vista, when a program crashes (which is very rare, and only something like Ableton Live when I have Firefox, iTunes, Gearbox and Explorer open too), you can hit the X in the top-right, a box appears saying End Process and Cancel, you can hit the former and it'll just go.
Quote by beeboshain

Unless you've just been running Notepad for 2 years, I highly doubt that nothing has ever crashed on your PC.
After using Vista, then just getting a file off my old XP machine, I realise how sloooow XP is.

It's seriously crap. Vista rules .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
In my experience Vista isn't worth it. I got it with my brand new computer last August and all it did was give me headaches. I had multiple crashes a day usually and everything I tried to use it said it had a compatibility issue. So unless you only plan on using stuff newer than 2005 or so it won't run it right.
Quote by beeboshain

I wouldn't be suprised if it was mainly my fault, my computer doesn't exactly have a comfortable life, **** it though it cost me enough so its gona have to work like a black person in the 1700's
It's alright, haven't had too much of a problem. Though quite a few older games and stuff that run on XP don't work on here. But I have XP on my desktop so it's alright. Main problem with Vista is the amount of system resources it uses up just to run itself.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by fleetingillness
It's called User Account Control. You can turn it off in about two seconds.

bitch, don't be a smartass to Kensai. He'll uncork the biggest asswhooping of a lifetime upon your worthless life.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
no, not yet. close though.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Having to upgrade your computer that much to get an operating system that's mainly a visual upgrade is not recommended. I have it on my laptop and aside from it being "more secure" (I've got enough to make sure my computer is secure, without window's software) and it supposedly working a bit easier, I think its a waste. If you're getting a new computer its alright, nothing revolutionary though.

Having to shut off something on the computer that was meant to make things easier shouldn't have to be done either.

I'm just going to use my Mac... (I prefer it, but I will not voice my opinon, because no matter how I explain it, you guys will say "its gay because its stupid", and no I do not think Leopard is any more revolutionary than Vista, I just prefer it)

As for you however, I would say wait until you get a new computer, if not don't upgrade, its a waste of money.
Page 1 of 4