I'm looking to learn how to play chess so do any of you know a good website that teaches how to play?
Quote by beethovens dad
no

i take back what i said about "n00b for claiming to have a prodigal son"

you are the prodigy of honesty
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by clearchaos
go to the park and learn from some old guys.

They don't have that in the country.
Quote by Spockleatard
They don't have that in the country.

atlantis is underwater, noob.
Quote by Demon Wolf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_rules

That'll get you started. Enjoy, it is a wonderful game.

Yep, can be fun to play alone to lol.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Well if you got Windows Vista, play again the computer. If you got an Xbox 360, download it from the Marketplace and play with people online. If you have a real chess board, play with real people.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
Yep, can be fun to play alone to lol.

It's fun to play when you know the rules.

Gotta learn how to walk before you can run, son.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by wizards?
www.google.com it works wonders you n00b. god the pit isn't going to do this kind of stuff for you

I'm already searching you dick, I'm just trying to find one that's free and not just some stupid trial version and it's hard to find.
Quote by wizards?
okay, well still it's not nice to ask the pit for help on things that you could easily do yourself... sorry I exploded on you, I'm kinda having a bad day

And I'm sorry I exploded too.
yeah... I'd say pick up chess for dummies, I got it when I was maybe ten, and it really did shed some light on the game, and now I've kicked major ass in the last few years because of it(and the obvious technique of teaching yourself by using the methods taught and branching on them, and the huge ammount I've played)
You sunk my battleship!

Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Quote by Demon Wolf
It's fun to play when you know the rules.

Gotta learn how to walk before you can run, son.

yep, chess is pretty easy to get the basics though.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
^^Thanks for all the advice, I'm out of high school and I should be going to college sometime this year so I don't have anyone to play with right now.
Quote by misunderbirds
register on FICS (free internet chess server) and play people better than you. always play people better than you. this is the only way to get good. if you get caught up in rankings you will not get good. don't be afraid to lose lots and lots of games. don't think too highly of yourself.

also understand that for the first 6 months you will suck. you will win games, and think you did great to win them, when in fact a good player would never have made the moves you made (just the guy you were playing also happened to suck). don't worry about tactics or strategy, learn 1 opening (spanish). In about half a year you should be able to see a few moves ahead, be able to tell almost instantly whether where you are moving you will be placed under attack, see common lines that usually open, ways to get caught out...once you can see these things quickly, you can get a book, one that analyzes games played and explains why those moves were played. this will be invaluable to you.

if you play everyday for about a year, you will probably be able to beat everyone at your chess club (i assume you go to high school), and probably beat most people you meet for the remainder of your life. if this level suits you, that's that. don't expect to be some bobby fischer, he studied chess for 15 hours a day for years before he got famous.

there ya go.

+10

Although, I wouldnt go spanish first. thats more personal taste.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"