I was just curious, but I've been playing for about six months or so on a really cheap beginner guitar and i'm really considering upgrading to a long term workhorse of a guitar. So, is it too early? I mean, I have just two humbuckers and no tremolo, so i kinda want to get a nicer guitar. Should I wait? I mean, is there still a chance I could burn out and the guitar go to waste or, well, I don't know. You folks tell me, I'm guitarded.
Quote by keavader
I was just curious, but I've been playing for about six months or so on a really cheap beginner guitar and i'm really considering upgrading to a long term workhorse of a guitar. So, is it too early? I mean, I have just two humbuckers and no tremolo, so i kinda want to get a nicer guitar. Should I wait? I mean, is there still a chance I could burn out and the guitar go to waste or, well, I don't know. You folks tell me, I'm guitarded.

It's down to how you feel about it.

If you feel like a new guitar will make playing the guitar a more enjoyable experience, by all means go for it.

I wouldn't recommend getting an incredibly expensive guitar, also because your taste in guitars or music might change over the years.

Look into something like a Fender Strat of some sort; maybe an HSS. They're versatile and even if your style changes you'll probably still like it.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
imho i'd say no and here's why:

i myself started w/ the firstact "strat" wannabe w/ one 'bucker in the bridge positions, and one volume and one tone knob. i worked the hell outta that guitar for 2 or so years and learned to appreciate being able to have the versatility of more knobs and switches. i also learned how to manage w/ just a volume and tone control for different sounds.

i'd say after a YEAR at least....
but if not then go w/ a G-400. that is the BEST workhorse guitar i could imagine..

infact....it's MY own workhorse and you know it sounds as good as a gibson w/ no problem holding up in ANY category.

but seriously, maybe i'm a lil biased cuz my gparents aren't full of income and still went out and got me a guitar when they were prolly assuming i'd give up after a week or two, and even helped me buy a practice amp.

if you start out w/ ****, you'll always appreciate greater things the way they SHOULD be. i hope i was some help to ya!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^^+1

Just keep in mind that there are tons of great guitars with just two humbuckers and no tremolo.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Well do you know where you're going with it? IMO if you haven't found your genre and playing style yet you might wanna wait until you do so that you know what to look for when the time for a new guitar comes.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
On the other hand how is he supposed to appreciate a good guitar if he doesn't play one.

I got my second guitar pretty close to after playing it, if you're relatively decent at playing guitar (have good rhythm and good at chord changes) I'd go for a second guitar. After learning the basics, more advanced techniques should be learned on a comfortable guitar.
Quote by soul_power
Well do you know where you're going with it? IMO if you haven't found your genre and playing style yet you might wanna wait until you do so that you know what to look for when the time for a new guitar comes.

Well I wanted to get something relatively cheap and pretty general. It's true I don't have a definite style of music I would base my life upon, but something like a Strat. You know, just to continue and keep it general.
Well a 3000 dollar gibson has 2 pickups and no trem does that mean it sucks?

Stick with your guitar but if you are really serious about playing guitar go for it
Wait for a couple of days. There is a new pickups coming out, A seymour duncan That can split from a P-90 to a single coil, and you can even play them simultaneously. I'm thinking about getting a PRS or something when I have the money and put those in. Great versatility, and I've learned how to take care of my guitar, from previous experiences, so I think I can make it last long