I've recently been considering getting a fuzz pedal and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to get a ZVex Fuzz Factory or a EH Big Muff(US). I've heard several opinions about both of these, like some people say that ZVex is the best, but it tends to get crazy at times and it's really only good for a handful of Muse songs. I'd like to get the big muff because it doesn't cost quite as much as the FF, but I wonder if it's worth the extra money.

I do play some Muse, but I also play other Alternative stuff that may not need such an intense fuzz that the FF supplies. I have 2 questions:

Could a big muff suffice when playing muse, or should I spring for the FF?(because I heard that's Matt Bellamy's main fuzz effect)

Also, could either of these act as a decent distortion for stuff other than muse???

I play on a peavey classic 30, if that helps

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
The fuzz factory doesn't sound good. It's not meant to. It's meant to sound disgusting and crazy and weird. That's a lot of fun, but if you just want a fuzz, get something else.
Get a russian big muff and mod it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't think you should get a ff if you only want it for muse stuff. A big muff is probably not only a little more versatile, but I bet it could pull off some muse anyway.
My big muff can do muse just fine. And thats with a ****ty guitar hooked up to a bass amp.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
I heard Jack White uses the big muff for his basic distortion if that helps with your basic distortion question...
I have both, and Id say go with the fuzz factory. You can get ANY fuzz sound and you'll never outgrow it. You can get big muff with the factory, but you cant get 1/1000 of the sounds of the factory with the big muff.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
I have both, and Id say go with the fuzz factory. You can get ANY fuzz sound and you'll never outgrow it. You can get big muff with the factory, but you cant get 1/1000 of the sounds of the factory with the big muff.

can it get other stuff like hendrix, zz top, etc.? because if so, then I might get the FF in that case

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Roc8995
The fuzz factory doesn't sound good. It's not meant to. It's meant to sound disgusting and crazy and weird. That's a lot of fun, but if you just want a fuzz, get something else.

That is very misleading. It CAN be crazy and weird (think mixamatosis by radiohead), but it can also sound very much like a fuzz face. I dont listen to zz top, so I cant say, but it can definitely do hendrix. I do suggest, however, going with the vextor series. Its much cheaper and has the same parts.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
The big muff sounds a bit bassier and more controlled than the fuzz factory. Also from what little experience I have with the fuzz factory likes to self oscilate when you're not playing on the best settings.
Well, the fuzz factory can sound much bassier, if you set it correctly. With the fuzz factory, it really depends on how you set it. And yeah, it will self-oscillate on certain settings, but thats half the fun anyway.
Quote by HeartInACage
Well, the fuzz factory can sound much bassier, if you set it correctly. With the fuzz factory, it really depends on how you set it. And yeah, it will self-oscillate on certain settings, but thats half the fun anyway.

while there are 5 knobs on the ff theres no tone knob. how do you get a bassier fuzz out of IT without that?
You could get the Vexter Fuzz Factory. It costs quite a bit less and is basically a zvex fuzz factory but not hand-painted and built in Taiwan (though with the same parts).
Quote by Mr_LA_ruCK_8*
I don't think you should get a ff if you only want it for muse stuff. A big muff is probably not only a little more versatile, but I bet it could pull off some muse anyway.

Matt bellamy of Muse uses a Fuzz Factory.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Bellamy hardly uses the FF. A mate of mine has the Vexter, it's cool and all, but id never get one, it's just a box of noise half of the time.
Quote by beckyjc
Bellamy hardly uses the FF. A mate of mine has the Vexter, it's cool and all, but id never get one, it's just a box of noise half of the time.

Agreed.

I'd look for something else. I'm not actually sure on the fuzz he uses most of the time.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I had the same choice to make about a month ago, and I went for the Fuzz Factory.

But as you can probably guess buy this thread, it's not for everyone

You CAN get bassier sounds out of it, but it is a very trebly pedal. I didn't mind though, as it still sounds amazing.

It can also do 'normal' fuzz tones, but the ocsillating is just damn fun*

*If you use it musically, just making strange squeally noises can get damn annoying.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
wooley mammouth sounds awsome as a novelty, if i played bass i would buy one
Quote by darkarbiter7
Get a russian big muff and mod it.

I would agree, but I've been searching the internets for a few months for Russian Muff mods, without much success.

For $60, the Muff is great. It'll add noise, muffle your attack, and be temperamental, (three things the Fuzz Factory won't do, unless you tell it to) but it's $60. FF's are $200-$300. If you play with your muff (tee hee) for a few months, and find yourself wanting more, get the FF then. You'll still have two distinct fuzz/distortions.
Quote by beckyjc

really? I thought he used it quite a bit, what with it being built in to practically every single guitar he owns...

And i do agree it is quite noisy at times, but then again, all that I've seen are people who don't know the right settings...

i still don't know which one to get

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Reincaster
Matt bellamy of Muse uses a Fuzz Factory.

well, yeah I know that, but I'm just saying that if a Big Muff can pull off a decent muse sound anyway, but could also be good for other stuff too, then he should get it.
Quote by rhcp_freak
Agreed.

I'd look for something else. I'm not actually sure on the fuzz he uses most of the time.

he uses the distortion from his diezel amp.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
really? I thought he used it quite a bit, what with it being built in to practically every single guitar he owns...

And i do agree it is quite noisy at times, but then again, all that I've seen are people who don't know the right settings...

i still don't know which one to get

Only for stuff like Plug In Baby. Otherwise he bearly does. The rest of the time its just his ridiculiously expensive amp. It's a cool toy and things, and its good for experimentla music, but if youre getting one just to sound like matt bellamy it isnt going to do what you want.

You're best off looking in a completely different direction. Seeing as the BIg Muff is hardly a fuzz. It isnt even marketed as a fuzz. It's just a a rough sounding distortion, but it aint no fuzz. May I reccomend some www.deviever.com/fx
Last edited by beckyjc at Feb 11, 2008,
does the fuzz factory sound good on top of an amps overdrive? obviously the ff wouldnt be doing high gain sounds on top of the amp cause too much gain=crap. From my experience od really fattens and smooths fuzz surprisingly well.
The fuzz factory is amazingly fun. :P You'll love it. I play other stuff with it. You can even get it to sound like a distortion pedal too.
How about an MI Audio Neo Fuzz? i hear thats its very versatile and sounds great
i had it for a while. it was a great fuzz. almost wish i still have it. be warned though, its only really good for low gain (why i got rid of it)