How do you find out what the strumming pattern is for a song? just have good ears?

i tried finding them online, but i can't. I'm about to join the worship band at my Church so yea.

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i'd do it by ear, start with some easy songs. just listen to a lot of different music, tap your fingers to the beat and strumming pattern. you don't even need your guitar to do that, so just grab your mp3 player and practice.
by ear. that's one of the easiest things for me to hear. just listen to the song a lot if you have trouble. or invent your own.
Quote by climhazzard
by ear. that's one of the easiest things for me to hear. just listen to the song a lot if you have trouble. or invent your own.

ok yea, i think ill do what y'all suggested or just make up something. my pastor is a good guitarist, but he doesnt kno anything about theory, so he has made up his own systems sort of. That wasnt a problem until he gave me a patter of down-down-up-up-down-down-up-down-up-down
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
sometimes the strange patterns make sense, it depends on the timing and the accents you want to put on certain notes/chords.
For faster songs, it can be helpful to slow them down. I found a piece of software called "Transcribe!" to be really useful, because you can change the speed of a song without changing the pitch of the notes. There's a free download if you want to try it out.

I find it ideal for playing along with pieces while I'm just figuring them out.
I do it by ear.... but I play at my church too and I just kinda jam... do whatever sounds good with the singing...