I was wondering if any of you have had this problem. When I sweep I can sweep up fine, but when I sweep down I start to pick out notes rather than sweep them. Seem as no matter how hard I try and practice it I can't get the technique of down sweeping down. Tips?

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

1 - This sort of thing is more suited to the advanced technique forum.

2 - Slow down. I know you've probably heard it before but if you still can't get it then you're not going slow enough; you need to slow down until you can get it right and then just repeat it until you no longer have to think about what your hand is doing. Then and only then should you speed up again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Practice slowly and focus on making sure that your picking hand is doing the sweeping motion insted of picking out the notes
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
This makes sense. When most first learn guitar, on their own, they pick downwards. Later they can find to alternate pick/ economy pick. However, due to the initial down picking that you've done when you go to sweep down you fall back into this down picking which is still embedded somewhere in your brain. Same stuff posted above still applies, just take it slow.
When you sweep downstrokes, after hitting one string naturally your pick stops on the next string. You just have to create the same habit, when you do it upstrokes. To do that you probably will have to change the angle of your wrist.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Its important you're getting a preper arm motion. I don't know what the recommended arm position is, but I usually either keep my wrist in one place, tip of my little finger pressed against the body and most of the motion comes from my thumb and index finger, or, I move my whole arm and keep my hand in one position.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1