As you've probably guessed, I'm in the market for a boost pedal, preferably something with a pretty stubstantial gain/ volume increase. I'm playing with a Gibson SG Special faded (should be a Schecter C-1 Classic VERY soon) through a MESA F30. I play pretty much everything, ranging from Sublime, Phish, ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Metallica, Megadeth, and various ---core genres. I know the standard answer here is a Tubescreamer, but how much extra gain would that give me?
Marshall jackhammer id recommend..
the boost is ridiculous and extreme gain..
and it actually can sound good..
Quote by uvq
whats wrong with the gibson?
why change it for that?

It's very 'meh'... It's nothing special, a good bit better than Epi's, but I'm not a fan of the unfinished neck. Plus,

a) The Schecter is about 30 times sexier- looking

b) The other guitarist in my band has an SG standard
Quote by uvq
whats wrong with the gibson?
why change it for that?

Because he might prefer the quality of a nice Schecter as opposed to a low end Gibson. He might also like the thinner neck of the Schecter.

Edit: ^I was wrong.
Get a modded tubescreamer. You can get them modded to have tons of output (with my modded TS's level maxxed, you can go from whisper quiet to eardrum shatteringly loud).
Anyways, with a tubescreamer, you can add a bit of hair to the signal too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Because he might prefer the quality of a nice Schecter as opposed to a low end Gibson. He might also like the thinner neck of the Schecter.

Edit: ^I was wrong.

Well, the build quality was part of it, too. I've had 2 tuners break on my Gibby. The Schecter's neck is quite similar, though.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Get a modded tubescreamer. You can get them modded to have tons of output (with my modded TS's level maxxed, you can go from whisper quiet to eardrum shatteringly loud).
Anyways, with a tubescreamer, you can add a bit of hair to the signal too.

Those look ideal, but I was looking at something not much more than $100. Plus, I'd like to go used, and those look like they'd be tough to find.

Sorry for the double post, but I think the thread needs a bump
My tubescreamer gives me a pretty good bit of gain, any more then that and your just getting feedback and chaos... Also Kirk used one for years so if your using a mesa and playing metallica you cant go wrong. Its good for rock and blues as well... Also remember its not a distortion pedal it just bumps up your tubes so your adding more gain to the gain you already have, so you should have plenty... And it fits in your budget.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 31, 2008,
if u can find someone who is profficient with building guitar pedals, ask them to make you an AMZ Mosfet Boost. 35dB of clean boost, squeezes out so much available gain from ur tube amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard