So, I've been wanting to do this for a while now...
I keeping hearing that budget guitars shine brightest when you do a complete electronics overhaul on then, replace the pickups, pots, etc.
So i figured that I would replace the pickups (all three) on my epiphone black beauty with good ones, replace the pots and maybe some of the hardware (the bridge, the nut).
Also, i figured while i was doing this i could further mod my epiphone by doing the following:
Replace the middle humbucker with a humbucker-sized P-90 or something.
Change up the pickup configurations. I want to replace the pup selector with a 5-way rotary switch which has the following configuration (Neck, Neck Middle, Bridge Neck, Bridge Middle, Bridge).
Put a push-pull pot for one of the volume pots, so that when i pull it, it activates the middle pickup alone and that volume pot becomes the one for the middle pickup.
Now, i have a few questions.
Which pickups would suit my playing styles (blues, classic rock, heaviest is about early metallica)? I was thinking along the lines of Seymour Duncan
What kind of pots should i get?
Are there wiring schematics for this kind of design?
I live in Canada, and my budget would probably be below $400
good luck finding a pushpull rotary switch
EDIT: read it wrong. my bad. id just save for a new guitar, budget guitars never really shine, because unless you are a luthier you can't change how well it plays
Black Beauty Epi is not a bad guitar, but your mods are really complicated. Good luck. Try Seymour Duncan's site for wiring diagrams
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Thanks guys, I think i'll probably be getting some help from my friend, who's done a ton of mods to his guitars.
For now, anyone have any suggestions for pickups? My playing styles are listed above.
Quote by hell_monkey

For now, anyone have any suggestions for pickups? My playing styles are listed above.

I don't suggest replacing them. They're dece pups, if you don't like the sound look to your amp. Many people overlook amps as a source of gnarly tone.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
I don't suggest replacing them. They're dece pups, if you don't like the sound look to your amp. Many people overlook amps as a source of gnarly tone.

I agree, but anyways, I just put an alcino II pro by seymour duncan, its really similar to a 59, and it sounds awesome in the bridge. Way better than the stock epiphone pickup. Its just alot clearer and old schooler sounding.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Thanks man, I was thinking something along the lines of: Seymour Duncan Classic 59 or Distortion in the bridge, Alnico II pro in the neck and a Phat Cat in the middle.
How's that sound?