I would love to own and operate a recording studio as my job when I grow up. I'll be seeking out music/tech education from Berklee or some other music school in Boston and also base my studio in Boston.

Any advice? Good idea, not so good? How's the pay? What's the initial investment like? Anyone else do this? Feedback?
Pay is pretty crappy starting out. I would suggest working in a professional studio before trying to start your own think though. I was thinking about getting a degree in Audio Production but I'm having second thoughts. It's a very specialized field and if you don't get a job in a studio that degree is not going to be much of use anywhere else.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
yea getting a degree in this field is almost useless. it all comes from experience and i was considering going to school for this but i said screw it. i have plans to own a studio later in life when im rich and have a steady job going.
Well Enough Alone
I am seriously considering becoming a sound engineer or something similar to that. I think it would be a great career.

The only thing is that sometimes(depending on the place) it can be hard to find a job in the field.

I also have high hopes in starting my own recording studio someday.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
I plan on doing the exact same thing at the same school!

BTW, if you applied early action, they're sending out the decisions tomorrow at 5 PM.
Quote by llanafreak44
College degrees don't mean **** in studio's.

But I might as well get one anyways if that's what I like to do.
i wouldn't recommend it as a career coming out of college. You won't have enough dough to build your own studio, especially with your college loan fees coming at you. I agree with soul_power, try working in a studio and getting some experience and knowledge under your belt first before building your own
I'd like to point out to all of you saying that degrees don't mean **** that you are wrong.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I am doing it at college and then at uni next year and I love it. I plan to own my own studio and record label in the future and the knowledge I get now will be invaluable. And so what if my degree won't mean anything to anyone outside the industry? Doesn't matter to me, because I am doing what I enjoy.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I am doing it at college and then at uni next year and I love it. I plan to own my own studio and record label in the future and the knowledge I get now will be invaluable. And so what if my degree won't mean anything to anyone outside the industry? Doesn't matter to me, because I am doing what I enjoy.

Exactly.
First of all, your making the right start by furthering your education. But, there is no way in hell your business would survive, especially with (i'm assuming) NO business knowledge. It would also be a massive mistake to start in a place like Boston.
At the very least, you will need a degree in business, alot of cash and a very good business plan, along with a market that is relatively uncompetitive (which is why Boston is a bad choice).
You should begin working in a studio and request to learn more about the way things work by asking the owners.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by llanafreak44
College degrees don't mean **** in studio's.

Bullshit.

Unless you have a degree in record, then you don't have much of a chance at all in the industry.

Also you should do a lot of networking, cause that is what a lot of the industry is built on.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I definitely don't plan on having a musical career, because everyone else does and it quickly turns into natural selection.

I suck at natural selection.
Volunteer at a recording studio.
The softest of blankets is six feet of soil.

Upcoming Shows:
Sasquatch! Festival - May 2013
How about minoring in a music/studio whatever degree, and majoring in something that will make you quite a bit of money. That way you can make a lot of money, and then use some of that to start your own small studio, and go from there.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
^ You can't minor in recording.

At least not that I know of.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Double major, if you can handle the pressure and work load.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
how much would it cost to open/build your own studio?
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by Metal-X
^ You can't minor in recording.

At least not that I know of.

oh... well if you can, then it would be a good idea.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.