Page 1 of 2
I've heard that Traynor amps beat Fender amps by a long shot. The comparisons are of both company's amps in the same price range. Many say that the YCV series by Traynor are better than Fenders of the same price. Usually, the claim is that Traynors have the famous Fender cleans, but way better overdrive, which has always been Fender's downfall.

Can anybody with experience on the subject shed any light on the issue? Opinions and comments are welcome.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I hate fender OD.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The designs that Leo Fender wanted would allow for Fender amps to remain clean at incredibly high volumes (notice the lack of overdrive channels and gain knobs). Excluding the Bassman and Deluxe Reverb, one would have to have any fender true amp obscenely loud to get it to overdrive. Thus, comparing anything with a dedicated OD channel to a Fender is not a valid argument because Fenders are supposed to be clean.
Quote by colin617
The designs that Leo Fender wanted would allow for Fender amps to remain clean at incredibly high volumes (notice the lack of overdrive channels and gain knobs). Excluding the Bassman and Deluxe Reverb, one would have to have any fender true amp obscenely loud to get it to overdrive. Thus, comparing anything with a dedicated OD channel to a Fender is not a valid argument because Fenders are supposed to be clean.

Not at all true, those 50's Tweed amps sounded heavenly cranked and were used by MANY for their overdriven tones.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
Not at all true, those 50's Tweed amps sounded heavenly cranked and were used by MANY for their overdriven tones.

Thats not what they were meant for at the time though

Back 50 years ago you had 2 types of tones...

British: spanky, gritty, mid boosted, and fat

or

American: Chimy, bright, scooped, very clean
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by igotabcrich32

Of course they CAN do it; "Cat Scratch Fever" was recorded with a cranked Twin. Even the famous Plexi Crunch came from Jim Marshall trying to create a cheaper Fender for the Brit market. However, those amps were not DESIGNED to distort as the Traynors are today.
Whether it's budget SS, modeling, or even tube, Traynor is just way better than Fender, not only in quality but also in price. My old TRM30 may not sound good, but it's still cheaper. However, Fender does have very nice cabinet designs.
It's a naturally overdriven tone with the Twins, not a clipped tube overdrive tone like the Traynor.

I do not like the Hot Rods and Devilles.
High as tits
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I actually crank my Traynor. Sounds great. Not just all about the OD channel. The clean channel sounds beautiful when cranked, and the OD channel with a bit of gain cranked sounds amazing.

Of course, I run my Traynor on KT77's..

That mgiht have a little something to do with it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
That mgiht have a little something to do with it.

Well, it's all preference. Reincaster prefers the 6L6 OD.

I like the slightly British KT77 OD.

Quote by stangconv
What do the KT77's change?

Can I change to them on my 50 blue?

I got El34's in there right now.

Well, for me, they change a lot. Your amp is already British-y, so it's not going to change that much. It'll definitely be different than EL34's, though. And yes, you can run them in your YCV50.
Probably get some more low end, with a nice crunchy midrange section.

Order a set from Eurotubes.com, and let bob know you're using a YCV50. Let him know your playing style and style of music, and anything else think he might need to know - so that he can give you the proper grade.
Quote by stangconv
What do the KT77's change?

Can I change to them on my 50 blue?

I got El34's in there right now.

speaking of which...you should give me details on your 50 blue!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The Traynor clean isn't quite up to Fender level, but it's still very good. The overdrive is vastly superior.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Traynor would beat Fender for me if they were reasonable in the US.

I really love smaller fender amps, overdriven. Blues Junior, Champ 600. But that's me.
I would pick a YCV40 for $679 over a Blues deluxe for $650.

You can get them used for the same prices as a used Hot Rod deluxe.

I can say I love the cleans, however, they don't stay as clean as fender amps do at high volumes, and they seem to have a subdued sparkle, which I like, they aren't as mega bright as the current fender amps are.

My biggest reasons for picking the YCV over the BD or HRD is that the YCV has separate EQ's, tube guards, Auto biasing (not fixed, I can mix and match tubes), A metal grille behind the cloth grill, and some sweet looks.

Yeah, I like 6L6's in mine, but that's just me.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Blues jr Ftw!!!

damn i'm surrounded...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I see... you guys are talking about US price. And I thought we got screw over with our amps, especially those from Fender and Epiphone.

Up in Canada, Traynor is obviously cheaper (and it's basically Long and McQuade's house brand), so it's no contest up here if one know their stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, no, you hate current Fender production line amps' OD. vintage Champs and Bassmans sound great. Then there's 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, etc, etc...Hm...I haven't had a chance to really crank the Bassman reissue yet.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by kosmic
Usually, the claim is that Traynors have the famous Fender cleans, but way better overdrive, which has always been Fender's downfall.

You need to apologize to my Bassman.
Quote by ECistheBest
Blues jr Ftw!!!

damn i'm surrounded...
I got your back, dude.

I'll take a blackface Deluxe with its 6V6s over anything that's been mentioned,
but a Blues jr with its chimey little EL84s is nice, too.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i have a 68 princeton that is only 12 watts tube, and it sounds heavenly cranked. not heavy, but a little grit.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
i have a 68 princeton that is only 12 watts tube, and it sounds heavenly cranked. not heavy, but a little grit.

Princetons kick ass. Princeton Reverbs even more so.
I bought a YCV20WR a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love. The cleans are just as good as any Fenders' were in my price range (so much pop!), and the drive channel is absolutely wonderful! To top it off, the amp is extremely touch sensitive. It's really quite fantastic.

Does anyone know how other tube sets or speakers work with the YCV20?
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Hot rod deville 410 has some pretty nice gain.

I don't know. I prefer fender.

Hot Rod devilles' overdrive is horrendous, its mushy and weak. The cleans are godly, and arguably better than the Traynor, buy the Traynor's overdrive absolutely blitzes the Fender, it's not even a contest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It baffles me to be honest, the blues band I jam with have a HRD and a TSL601 - as far as overdriven sounds go the HRD is way muddier than the notoriously muddy TSL601.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It baffles me to be honest, the blues band I jam with have a HRD and a TSL601 - as far as overdriven sounds go the HRD is way muddier than the notoriously muddy TSL601.

you're talking about the OD channel right, not by cranking it ? that seems to cause quite a bit of misunderstandings in this thread...
It seems to me that the fairer comparison would be a Fender Bassman head with a Marshall JTM45 head and a Traynor YBA-1 all dated from the mid-60's. These amps were all designed to basically do the same thing. When you start comparing modern Fender's to modern Traynor's (and modern Marshall's) you run into the issue of the amps being designed with different goals in mind.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by The red Strat.
you're talking about the OD channel right, not by cranking it ? that seems to cause quite a bit of misunderstandings in this thread...

Cranking the traynor sounds just as sweet as the HRD and Blues deluxe. So, that leaves the OD channels, where the traynor wins.

Yes, they were designed to do different things, however, 90% of the time, from what I've observed here, players nowadays are looking for both overdrive and cleans in a low cost amp. While the HRD's and BD's excel in cleans, that's all they do. Seems to me like they're overpriced. For the same amount of money, traynor managed to put in all the stuff I mentioned in my last post, and add a two year warranty for ANYTHING. So, even if you break it by getting smashed and knocking it over, they'll fix it.

If you can get two amps with similar sounding cleans, but one has a better drive channel with a separate EQ, for about the same price, why not?

I don't hate the Bd's and HRD's and so on, but to me, they seem like an offshoot of the Fender line of amps. Heck, they're made in mexico now, I thought that would make it way cheaper than it costs. I played with a Blues Deluxe for years, it was my first amp. Then I played the YCV40, and sold it, and never looked back.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 1, 2008,
It depends on what style of music you are playing of course, but with bluesy classic rock and bluesy rock in general, I think it is best to buy an amp with an absolutely spectacular clean and a spectacular overdrive or distortion pedal; most Fenders are actually very powerful and can sound good with quite a bit of distortion.
Member of the Single Coils are for Real Men group
Member of the Lefties Unite Group
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I dislike the HRD's OD channel.

I definitely agree. Traynor definitely has a Fendery quality to their cleans. But their OD is way better. Fender's current production models' OD channels are sub par.

My YCV40 beats out pretty much any current production Fender in the 500-800 dollar range.

+1

the fender cleans are probably slightly better. but unless you only play clean all the time (and i do mean all the time, like 100%, or very close to 100% of the time), the traynor cleans are almost as nice, but the traynor overdrive is much, much better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(i can't edit or my computer will crash)

i'm talking about versus current production fender hot rods, obviously. vintage fenders are a different matter of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2