Poll: Good Amp For The Price?
Poll Options
View poll results: Good Amp For The Price?
Yes, should get it
24 83%
No, should get different amp
5 17%
Voters: 29.
So I was thinking about getting this amp. and looked and sounded cool at guitar center but i forgot what i sounds like now and I seen some bad reviews of this amp at harmony central. So, what do you guys think?

50 watts (rms) into 16 ohms

Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes

Two independent footswitchable channels

Separate EQ for each channel

Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel

External speaker capability

12 inch ValveKing speaker

Reverb with level control

Buffered effects loop

Resonance switch for "tight or loose" cabinet response

New Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)
Last edited by life_777 at Jan 31, 2008,
haven't you been here long enough to recognize the process?
what's you geners and price range as well as us, uk or other
It's a good fit for your price range and styles.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, from what I've heard demo-wise of it, you can do what you want with it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Yeah, from what I've heard demo-wise of it, you can do what you want with it.

That is good to hear...
^ My lead guitarest got one, and took it back the same day to get somthing differnt. The tone is good, but there was a delay when switching between the clean to lead channel, they guys at the guitar shop called peavey to see what the deal was, they told them to clip out a cap, but that did not fix the problem. So he ended up goning with somthing else. IMO you can find better amps in that price range used.
BTW a different friend got the 100w head version and it doesn't have the problem, and I think it has better tone than the 112 combo, the curcitry must be a little different, it also has more tone control knobs so that might ade the tone as well.
perhaps you should take a lesson in buying good gear. This thing, IMHO is extremely bassy and the distortion is very loose and crappy. I never liked it. I would reccomend saving your money for a classic 30 or a used 5150. I don't really understand why you want zakk's tone however...
crap amp. sound is completely lifeless
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
cleans are pretty amazing for the price. the distortion needs to tightened up a bit. you can do that by using a boost pedal. gives you really nice metal tones with a ts-9.
Quote by Highwaytohell
perhaps you should take a lesson in buying good gear. This thing, IMHO is extremely bassy and the distortion is very loose and crappy. I never liked it. I would reccomend saving your money for a classic 30 or a used 5150. I don't really understand why you want zakk's tone however...

Maxon OD-808 its ass, or OCD fulltone its ass and it sounds really well for metal, change speaker in 112 you sound even better, use high output pickups sound even better, get a good cab for 212 and or 100w head,

used gear doesn't always work ither
Quote by slatsmania
It's a good fit for your price range and styles.

+1

The first thing I would suggest doing is getting an EQ pedal to put into the effects loop.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
+1

The first thing I would suggest doing is getting an EQ pedal to put into the effects loop.

What you mean by that what is EQ pedal never heard of that. since people argue about its distortion or whatever can't you just get overdrive pedal or something along that..??
Quote by life_777
What you mean by that what is EQ pedal never heard of that. since people argue about its distortion or whatever can't you just get overdrive pedal or something along that..??

This amp is kinda limited to some mid gainish sounds, and even though it is a tube amp, you could still shape the tone a bit more.
This is easily solved w/ a good OD and maybe an EQ, but if you know your way around this amp, you can get some nice tones just straight into the amp.

An EQ pedal is a 6 or 10 band Graphic Equalizer in pedal form.
Hell a Peavey Windsor would be alot better than the VK in this situation... still... try to find a used 5150 combo...
^personally I love the Windsor it sounded great for everything from the Sex Pistols to Blink-182 to AC/DC when I demoed it
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by Highwaytohell

The 3 amps you have mentioned are all in totally different leagues. THe Classic 30 vs. a 5150? Puleez
good point... Classic 30 is for lighter stuff anyways. the windsor is good for gain, but the 5150 owns them all
I think it is a great amp for the money. Yah there are beter sounding amps out there but they cost alot more$$$ If you replace the speaker in the Valveking with an Eminance Patriot the amp will sound a whole lot better clean as well distorted. The Patriot give the amp a new voice, makes this amp sound like it cost alot more than it did! You can get the speaker for aprox. $80.00 and is a easy modifacation.
Quote by Styles Music
I think it is a great amp for the money. Yah there are beter sounding amps out there but they cost alot more$$$ If you replace the speaker in the Valveking with an Eminance Patriot the amp will sound a whole lot better clean as well distorted. The Patriot give the amp a new voice, makes this amp sound like it cost alot more than it did! You can get the speaker for aprox. $80.00 and is a easy modifacation.

That sounds nice. How about a black label society speaker or what ever they call it..
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The one for a ton of money? Nah, a Celestion Vintage 30 would suit you.

Since you mentioned the word vintage wouldn't that be bluesy???
Stop looking for names. Names mean quick ways for companies to cash in on **** equipment. Take almost every Dean Dime, MXR Dime Distortion, MXR Wylde Overdrive for example.

The Vintage 30 is one of the best for all genres, including metal
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
The Vintage 30 is one of the best for all genres, including metal

The Vintage 30 is absurdly named. The speaker is not vintage sounding at all, and it's rated for 60W. It's extremely popular with metal players. I love vintage, bluesy sounds and avoid it.

This said, if you have the money to get a VK and a $100 speaker, an OD, an eq, etc., maybe you should look into getting a nicer amp from the onset.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I bought one because I was tired of dragging my halfstack around (5150 II, Ampeg cab) for gigs with my cowpunk band because we're a 3 pc, and like to travel light.
One trip, and I'm done with load in/load out.

I paid 429 bucks, new, when they first came out.

For the style of music I play in that band, and the guitar I play (Gretsch hollowbody) it kicks @ss, especially for the price.
And it's pretty durable, I haven't been gentle with it.
But it's certainly not a "do it all" amp.
I wouldn't use it in my other band, that's for sure.

Have you considered getting the Valveking head, instead?
The price difference isn't all that much!
Better sound, and chances are you can pick up a used cabinet pretty cheap to hold you over until you can afford a decent one.
Quote by life_777
Since you mentioned the word vintage wouldn't that be bluesy???

I honestly have no reply to this post that would not be offensive...
Quote by Rev. V!
I bought one because I was tired of dragging my halfstack around (5150 II, Ampeg cab) for gigs with my cowpunk band because we're a 3 pc, and like to travel light.
One trip, and I'm done with load in/load out.

I paid 429 bucks, new, when they first came out.

For the style of music I play in that band, and the guitar I play (Gretsch hollowbody) it kicks @ss, especially for the price.
And it's pretty durable, I haven't been gentle with it.
But it's certainly not a "do it all" amp.
I wouldn't use it in my other band, that's for sure.

Have you considered getting the Valveking head, instead?
The price difference isn't all that much!
Better sound, and chances are you can pick up a used cabinet pretty cheap to hold you over until you can afford a decent one.

No im not gigging yet so im not getting cabinets and heads yet till I am peforming. Good luck to your band
^ You most likly will not need a head and cab when giging as long as your combo is over 30 watts and is all tube, you will have enough to hear your self and be able push small gigs without a being miced.