Are there any that exist? I really need a practice amp so i dont kill myself carrying my gigging rig up and down the stairs twice a day, three times a week. I dont need volume, I need tone. My ideal practice amp would have a very clean, bass heavy tone. I play mostly modern jazz and rock through a lakland daryl jones 5 and a schecter elite 5. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Ashdown's practice amps are great. My After Eight is arriving tomorrow. They have a 10" version for maybe $50 more.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-After-Eight-8-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485038

The Peavey practice amps suck. Stay far away.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

the GK MB series sounds perfect for you
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
the orange 20 watt?
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
If you are looking for something nice under 50 watts---Orange Crush 35B. I tried one this past weekend, its on my birthday wish list to replace my pathetic Kustom KBA10
Markbass make some nice, light stuff!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I'll vouch for the already mentioned Orange Crush 35B. Sounds sweet for the price and size..
Quote by tasty licks
you really should consider suicide.
thanks for all of the responses. I'd really like to try some of the markbass stuff, unfortunatly there is no dealer in my area. I think i'll go try the GK and orange amps tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what i think of them.
What are your aspirations? 8" & 10" practice amps are just that, for gigging & jamming they will never cut it whilst sounding like true Bass, I've heard so many Bassists cut back on the Bass controle to get more level with the result of sounding like a wooden rule twanged on the edge of a desk.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ id have to disagree... i have a peavy practice amp that cuts through a twenty+ piece jazz band...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I had the same one as you, the Peavey Max 158. The thing completely sucked. If I turned it up above 4, it crackled. Went to GC to exchange it, tried the floor model, did the same thing. So I just got a refund.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

^ it did that when i had a bad input jack on my bass, but once i fixed that it's been fine... on the modern voicing its clear enough for jazz, and my instructor makes me crank it, and it doesnt sound bad at all, just loud (i roll the volume back on the bass itself)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Just gonna throw this in:

Eden make awesome small amps, including their Nemesis range, which is their budget, but still awesome range. Check em out if you can.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by latinosuperstud
^ id have to disagree... i have a peavy practice amp that cuts through a twenty+ piece jazz band...

I don't think you do. What size is the speaker and what's the wattage? Okay, just did a quick search, you think an 8" amp with 15 watts is enough? I'm finding my 15" 100 watt combo not cutting it, I can't even imagine trying to use my little 30 watter.
Fender Rumble 15w. Great amp if you can get the right EQ/tone settings, but if you're off on them it sounds pretty bad.

Which I guess is normal
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
If yr not lookin to spend a whole lot, i got the Crate BT10 for like around $100 or something at GC. Its got good range of highs and deep lows. just a 3 band, but its perfect fo me.

Dont laugh, first post
this sig rocks....
Quote by cheugonjr
If yr not lookin to spend a whole lot, i got the Crate BT10 for like around $100 or something at GC. Its got good range of highs and deep lows. just a 3 band, but its perfect fo me.

Dont laugh, first post

Welcome the forum!

Quote by latinosuperstud

Soundclips, please. I find this hard to believe. I played with a tenor sax player the other night and my 30W barely cut it. I can't imagine how buried I would have been if the drummer had joined in. Practice amps are called thus because they are for "practice". If your jazz band drummer even hovers close to moving from brushes to sticks you are going to be buried quicker than a mafia contracted hit.
So, i went and played out of the ashdown practice amps today. I was really pleased. The low boost does indeed make the amp sound about five times its size. I was able to get lots of different tones out of it as well. The perfect ten just moved to the top of my list. I was prepared to spend more money but I might not have to now. I still need to try the orange though.
Quote by esposito123
So, i went and played out of the ashdown practice amps today. I was really pleased. The low boost does indeed make the amp sound about five times its size. I was able to get lots of different tones out of it as well. The perfect ten just moved to the top of my list. I was prepared to spend more money but I might not have to now. I still need to try the orange though.

You didn't by any chance try out an Ashdown After 8 Bass Combo did you?
UG's Yellow Ranger

I like my Fender BDec 30, I dont use half the features on it but I like the sound
how can you tell me what, and what i cant achieve with my own gear? i know i can be heard in my jazz band because i have been heard for the past year. you guys are rediculous sometimes
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
how can you tell me what, and what i cant achieve with my own gear? i know i can be heard in my jazz band because i have been heard for the past year. you guys are rediculous sometimes

Impossible things do happen; but based on personal experience, I can't even fathom what you are claiming. I'd love to have an amp of that wattage cut through the mix like butter and hold its own; I've just never seen it happen.

Post up some soundclips and Bales and I will eat crow.
Ill eat a nice chicken roll with lettuce, cheese a bit of spicy mayo. That with a lemon, lime and bitters would go down real nice.

To TS i recommend Ashdown's practice range so your heading in the right direction.
If your looking for something a bit pricier try Markbass
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Last edited by sven_cliffy at Feb 4, 2008,
I went and tried the orange 35b yesterday and was disappointed. It didn't come close to the ashdowns. The lows were much weaker and the highs were somewhat hissy. I've decided on the ashdown series. I'll probably end up getting the five fifteen.

To serideth:
I did try the after eight and it was incredible for such a small amp and speaker. I really dislike 8" speakers but that was the first 8 i've played out of that I would consider buying.
Last edited by esposito123 at Feb 4, 2008,
Serideth: I finally got my After Eight today(damn UPS). It's incredible! It isn't loud enough to jam with drums obviously, but it's definitely loud enough for a practice amp. I can't believe this is an 8 inch speaker. I wish it had a better EQ, but it works for what it is. I'd recommend it over any practice amp(other than the Perfect Ten and the Five Fifteen), and I've played on a ton of them in the last month trying to find the right one.

of you are not looking for volume, and you want a little amp
you should try laney rb2 or rb1
they are awesome for its prices and they have a nice sound
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
try the new roland microcube bass rx its small and its great it not out hough i think but will be soon
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
A good sounding practice amp? Can't think of one. Very light, functional amps? Yep - Eden, Genz Benz, Markbass. All <10lbs heads. With 40lbs NEO cabs, you can't really complain. You can one-hand it.

And about this cutting through a 20 piece Jazz band nonsense... just because you can make out what you're playing when you're standing beside your amp doesn't mean you cut through. Unless you have recordings of yourself that you're going to give us, you don't know if you cut through. You're in the band.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I know they get a lot of flack around here, but I personally love my Behringer 180w. It is the perfect size for practicing in my room, and it is loud enough to hold up in band practice and small gigs.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke