I'm looking for a good amp under $700 that's good for metal but used EXPLICITLY for at-home practice. No gigging, no performances of any kind. I want something that hits its sweet spot at low volumes so I don't have to crank it up to get a good sound.

I was looking at the Krank Rev Jr. Half-Stack but I've heard some not so flattering things about it, so I've changed my mind.

Thanks.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
You've got a few options. I always recommend the Peavey XXX series for metal, more specifically thrash and hard rock, the combo can be easily had for $600. Maybe try to find a smaller-watt Marshall tube combo and grab an EQ pedal?

If you want to go cheaper, maybe look into those new blackheart amps, they're 15 watts tube. I'm not sure how heavy they get, but then again there's a nice little $30 Dano EQ that does wonders.
I was at one point looking at the Blackheart Little giant, but it's mostly for classic rock so I'd need a pedal for real metal. I'll check out the Peavey XXX, but I'm looking for something that can do metal like Metallica but also more modern metal.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Ok, I checked it. Peavey XXX combo is used at $900, at the cheapest. So, that's out. I guess I could go the little giant route but I'm still looking for something inherently metal.
Quote by mrvile

I got my XXX combo for $450, I always see them for $600 and under. Scope them out!

The EQ can do wonders. The Blackheart seems to have the same characteristics as the crunch channel on my XXX, which can get thrash tones with my EQ.

The XXX does ALL metal, it's just that much beastlier with thrash. Me and my buddy were playing metallica riffs on it today, sounds amazing.
Well, for one I'd prefer to get it new and also I've got no small guitar shops around. Just Guitar Center.
Quote by mrvile

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Best thing to get is a Used Peavey 5150 or sometimes a used Peavey 6505... Im sure 800 other people will agree....
The combo 5150 is rubbish, and the cost of 'stackin' it will be over $700 for the cost.
Couldn't find it at Daddys.
Quote by mrvile

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Depends on how good you are at finding deals.

True, he might be able to find the head for just short of $500, and get an Avatar cab or something for ~$200.
Umm, no thanks.
Quote by mrvile

I'm leaning towards either the Blackheart and a pedal or the Krank (more the Blackheart) but if anyone's got any better ideas I'm open to them.
Quote by mrvile

Alright, how about a Blackheart Little Giant and a Krank Distortus Maximus pedal?
Quote by mrvile

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Best thing to get is a Used Peavey 5150 or sometimes a used Peavey 6505... Im sure 800 other people will agree....

you need to turn it up to a descent level to get gain out of it from wut ive heard.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
No used. I already said that.
Quote by mrvile

Quote by kool98769
you need to turn it up to a descent level to get gain out of it from wut ive heard.

Nope you can have it a .5 or 1 and have gain for days. The tone is a bit better at high volumes but it still has more gain then you will ever need.

And i know no used blah... Im still gonna respond to people lol

And to answer your question stay away from krank alot of people hate them from what ive read. And you can always do what everyone else is doing and thats going with the valveking.. Ive got the head version and love it.
definitely try out the jsx mini. should be at your local guitar center.
as far as the 5150 goes...first off, no you don't need to turn it up loud at all to get gain from it. you can get an insane amount of gain from the preamp...of all the amps i've tried, it's one of the best in terms of high gain at low volumes. you'll still need to turn it up to hit that sweet spot, but just sayin..
that, and...i dunno. i used a xxx for a bunch of gigs two years ago and it sounded quite sterile compared to the 5150 and jsx. that being said, i couldn't've spent more than maybe 40 hours tweaking it, but it lacked warmth and sounded thin and not full. i didn't like it much at all.
Well the krank rev. 20w is ****ing awesome so id buy it, link me to some bad comments about it, id like to kick some ass
Honestly I've reviewed all of these and the Krank still sounds like my best bet. Either the Krank or the Blackheart with a Distortion pedal. I mean, it's expensive as **** but it looks like my best bet really.
Quote by mrvile