Ok so here's the deal. I want to learn electric and acoustic guitar...rock, and blues mainly.

There's a classical guitar teacher in the area: he seems like a very good classical guitar teacher; very detailed, informative and knows what he's doing. He does a private lesson each week, and then has a group practise every other saturday or so, so you can play with other people.

However, the thing is, I don't want to learn classical guitar (see 2nd sentence). I observed a lesson, and he gave me a miny lesson. He uses all classical guitar technique (like positioning the guitar). He said that if I go through with learning classical guitar and classical guitar technique (along with fingerpicking), then I'd be a better rock guitarist in 3 years then anything else I'd do.

What do you guys think? If I didn't take lessons from him, then I'd probably learn electric guitar on my own. My dad says that taking lessons from that guy now would greatly help me with rock guitar that I would wanna play in the future. However, would learning classical guitar actually benefit my guitar playing in other areas, or would it just cause bad habits? He uses the suzuki method of guitar teaching.

This is his website: http://www.guitarforkids.com/default.htm

What bothers me is how come no famous rock guitarists use classical technique if it would really be best for my playing no matter what type of music.

Please correct any false views I may have...basically I'm asking:

Do you think I should take lessons from this guy, a classical guitar teacher, if I really want to become a great rock/blues guitarist?

Thanks,
Ben
Any sort of lessons you take that are given by a professional can help you. Learning classical guitar will allow you to pick up more music theory, which never hurts. You can also develop techniques which you can integrate into your electric playing. And when it comes down to it...a guitar is a guitar, so it won't hurt you.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Yeah, with classical knowledge, you'll know the fretboard like the back of your hand. You'll learn music, and notes, and be so far much better off.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Yeah, what the other two guys said. Learning from a classical instructor......hell, I want to be in your situation right now...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
It would be a lot nicer if you could actually find an electric guitar teacher or at least someone with a broader background.
The classical teacher would be able to teach you everything you need to know about the theory and how to hold the guitar, but obviously he doesn't share your passion for rock, which may result in tedious lessons for you. You might want to discuss with him playing contemporary music as well instead of all classical pieces.
If he doesn't want to do this I would not recommend him for long time lessons, just enough to get proper posture and some basic theory.
It is a lot better to have fun in something and not being so good at it that the other way around.
Also, his methods seem kinda creepy to me, the word fun isn't mentioned often and it is the Japanese cram-it-into-the-children method. Usually programs that are geared to the individual students allow you to develop the styles you want more.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question; no, it will definitely not hurt you and actually benefit you in the long run, but are you willing to learn classical guitar first while you do not need or want to?
Last edited by Dylan_IE at Jan 31, 2008,
But yeah, the theory aspect is why he should be going for it though. Anyone classically trained is really gonna know their stuff. Once he knows the theory, he can go wherever he wants with it.

besides, nothing wrong with being different. A classical background applied to rock would produce some interesting results.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay