Anyone ever heard of this phenomenon? My girlfriend says that she can taste colors, like that certain colors taste a certain way, and that some things taste like different colors (ex: coffee tasting green) this stops her from eating certain colored food because that color tastes really bitter. She also says that if she doesn't see what she is eating, it tastes "normal" (ex: the lights are off or she randomly grabs an m&m or something)

anybody heard of this?
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
yea, saw a thing about it on tv a while back, like the senses are kinda mixed together. there are people who hear colors too, like notes are different colors, etc.

I don't remember much though, I'll try to wiki it.
Then she isn't tasting the color. She's seeing the color and associating a flavor with it.

As far as I know there aren't any light receptors on your tongue, but I could be wrong.
ya its called synatesesia or something like that, I had a test prompt on it one time, its actually a very amazing condition, i just remember after the test everyone was like "OMG I wish i had that"
that or shes always tripping major balls
She's only associating a color with certain flavours.......That's completely natural.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
like, she HATES green food because it tastes bitter, but she tried green beans with butter and salt any everything in the dark and she said it was delicious, then her friend turned on the light and she couldnt eat anymore because she actually saw what she was eating
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
Quote by Timothym
Then she isn't tasting the color. She's seeing the color and associating a flavor with it.

As far as I know there aren't any light receptors on your tongue, but I could be wrong.

That's what I was thinking.
Quote by Jminnich500
yea last week me and my freind kyle were in the bathroom at school and this kid was takin a **** so we decided to make a piss arch over the stall and onto his face...it was priceless
I think it's one's eyes playing tricks on one's taste buds.
Like, plugging your nose while eating something blocks some of the taste since you can't smell it. For example, fish sauce (which is short for anchovy extract), smells (and tastes like the smell) like the armpits of a 90 year old who just got done doing sit and be fit all day. But once the smell is blocked by the other ingredients (it's usually used in egg rolls and other oriental foods), it tastes fine, actually quite good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah its called Synesthesia...I think.... Yeah that's probably how you spell it.
UGHC Member
Quote by Magero
You're my whore....I'm Defy's...it's a chain dude...you just happen to be at the bottom of it...unless theres an ear-wig or someting you wanna make your bitch.

Quote by Vittu0666
You rock.
Quote by Timothym

yeah thats probably it
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
drugs are bad, mmkay?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
A friend of mine was like that with music and another with colours, like fridays were blue and stuff. Its called something
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by All_Hands_Dead
Anyone ever heard of this phenomenon? My girlfriend says that she can taste colors, like that certain colors taste a certain way, and that some things taste like different colors (ex: coffee tasting green) this stops her from eating certain colored food because that color tastes really bitter. She also says that if she doesn't see what she is eating, it tastes "normal" (ex: the lights are off or she randomly grabs an m&m or something)

anybody heard of this?

That just shows that your girlfriend is weird. The brain just associates the color with some taste. BTW, it's all bull**** and I've never heard of anyone who would not eat something because a "color tastes really bitter." It's a whole new level of close-mindedness.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I think it's one's eyes playing tricks on one's taste buds.
Like, plugging your nose while eating something blocks some of the taste since you can't smell it. For example, fish sauce (which is short for anchovy extract), smells (and tastes like the smell) like the armpits of a 90 year old who just got done doing sit and be fit all day. But once the smell is blocked by the other ingredients (it's usually used in egg rolls and other oriental foods), it tastes fine, actually quite good.

You realise that smell is I'm not entirely sure on percentage but I believe like 60% of your taste. That is why they block the smell although its more of a placebo effect seeing as hell your mouth leads to you smell recptors as well as your mouth just not as direct.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
*whispers* your girlfriend is special
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by TranquilNight
That just shows that your girlfriend is weird. The brain just associates the color with some taste. BTW, it's all bull**** and I've never heard of anyone who would not eat something because a "color tastes really bitter." It's a whole new level of close-mindedness.

No its an actual sensation as the others have said I believe its closemindedness you have to refuse to accept this sensation I mean yeah is it so hard to believe as close as say heaqring and touch are or smell and taste are? Maybe its an example of heightened senses. Maybe all senses are somehow connected? I mean is it really that crazy to consider seeing as all wind up in the brain?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by TranquilNight

its not that she WONT eat it, its that certain colors must be connected with certain tastes
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
Quote by stringmagician
That makes NO sense at all

all the other colors are absorbed creating green.
Quote by All_Hands_Dead
its not that she WONT eat it, its that certain colors must be connected with certain tastes

Hmmm... Tries some broccoli. Then tries some green M&Ms. Tastes exactly the same!
she's synesthetic. Congratulations?

Your girlfriend is a freak.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by TranquilNight
Hmmm... Tries some broccoli. Then tries some green M&Ms. Tastes exactly the same!

its not necessarily like that, its that all greens taste bitter and sour tasting, like green grapes and apples, maybe the first green food she had was one of those and it stuck in her brain like that
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
ok all is solved now go do like the nice guy said on the first page and find out what color your wang tastes like
Your girlfriend has problems.

Your best bet is to paint your junk her favorite color and walk around naked all day.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
lol^

EDIT: To hippie.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws