Hi guys, I have been wanting to build custom guitars as a side business. I have literally tossed a few together over the years and they went over very well but they were basically assembled from parts redily availabe. Now I have several bodies on the block I made and right now I am tweaking the designs my guitars will never follow the standard guitar shapes. I decided to go with neck thru all will have ebony fret boards with custom inlays I will design and make myself. once the blanks are done and fretboars installed I will offer them for sale with whatever the customer decides for pups and hardware. So far I think all four are spoken for now. Hopefully I'll be posting them as I finish them. The only thing I won't be doing is the finish these will be custom painted by a friend mainly because I am not set up for paint. The guy painting these has done a lot of work mainly in the automotive, custom car and motorcycle business. I'll post the name of my business later when I have all the paperwork finished and submitted as my trade mark. If anyone has or is in the business and has any suggestions please feel free to reply.

John
good luck man.. at one point all huge guitar companies did what youre doing.

or you could just buy a brand name guitar.. cross out the "Ibanez" or "ESP" or "_____" and write in your own logo.

the lazy persons way out.
My thread's current in this forum, check it out cuz ormsby's been giving some good advice. If you have any templates on your computer, I'll trade you. I need pickguards and neck route templates, or anything really. I've got tons. And good luck with your business, I think the thing I'll do is take it slow and start with little capital so it's low risk, that's what I'm gonna do.
Thanks guys I am trying to be different and make a few different shapes to see what goes over the best. I don't want to have dozens of different shapes just a basic few 5 or 6 tops. I'll see if I can find that other thread. I don't think I ever want to be a huge guitar builder just maybe do a few a year. I am not looking to get rich and I know I'll have a hard time saying goodbye to them. I tell you exotic wood is very expensive!! What I plan on doing is to make the guitar show it online and let the buyer choose the rest and then finishing it per what the customer wants. I'll try to do it up exactly they way they want it.

John
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
good luck man.. at one point all huge guitar companies did what youre doing.

or you could just buy a brand name guitar.. cross out the "Ibanez" or "ESP" or "_____" and write in your own logo.

the lazy persons way out.

i'm sure someone would notice. Well good luck to you man. Glad you're doing what you want to want to do. Looks like i'm pretty much set for a life of corparate mediocrity as soon as i've finished uni ah well WTH@C eh?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Keep your day job, you'll most likely be thousands of dollars in debt before your first one hits the market. You'll need a full workshop, prototypes, jigs, spend money on marketing, etc. It's a really hard way to make a living.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I have a friend who has a great workshop that is giving me full access. As far a templates and jigs go I can make all that myself. Another friend who built guitars as a hobby is letting me copy all his templates he might even give that stuff because he's not really interested anymore. If he does call it quits totally I'll probably buy his tools and what ever stock he has left. As far as my costs so far will be for the pups and hardware. Right now I have enough wood to make several guitars. I do not plan on getting rich this is why I am going to do it as a side bussiness. I am basically retired so it's something for me to keep busy. The guitars I have made so far from parts redily available have gone over big but they are not trully mine it's like tossing together a kit rather than making a complete guitar from scratch.
We here run a local buisness of customizing and building custom guitars locally. majority of whata we do to pay thte bills is customizing and repair. (keeps the bills paid) butu we also do orders for custom built guitars. we are 3 guys with familys and other jobs so this is just a siide buisness for us. hoping someday in the future we can look at expanding. but you have a good idea. and i wish you the best of luck.
Sounds cool, good luck with it. Little sidenote, you mentioned you're making neck-thrus is it easier to make those than to make bolt ons?
Quote by canuck customs
We here run a local buisness of customizing and building custom guitars locally. majority of whata we do to pay thte bills is customizing and repair. (keeps the bills paid) butu we also do orders for custom built guitars. we are 3 guys with familys and other jobs so this is just a siide buisness for us. hoping someday in the future we can look at expanding. but you have a good idea. and i wish you the best of luck.

that sounds like a ton of fun! I hope to do something similar some day!