I've got a little mini-band project thing going, and we're learning Aqualung by Jethro Tull. I've only been playing bass for a little while, and for some reason I CANNOT hit my line at all. The spacing on the notes feels so awkward and far away, and I can't think of any feasible replacement frets for the notes that would make it any less uncomfortable...

I'm using the tabs right off UG, so here they are

*EDIT* To clarify, I mean essentially the beginning melody. I can't seem to get my fingers to stretch out far enough across the fret-board to make it from the 5 to the 3 to the 1, back to the 3 on the D string. The string change and sliding makes my hand literally cramp up
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Last edited by NotAGuitarHero at Jan 31, 2008,
Ok thers only one simple answer. You said ur new to bass so naturally its gonna feel awkward to be stretching that far. Best thing to do is to keep practicing it until u can get it. Eventually ur hands will be able to stretch that far witout cramping up.
dude if youre new your only two options are practise and suicide.. if i were you id go with the latter.

seriously when i was a guitar noobie it all felt akward to me.. like sex with a german woman.
Well, I'm not THAT new. I mean, I can essentially hit Higher Ground without breaking a sweat (Slap-Bass=teh ) but I was wondering if there was a simple answer? Maybe tuning so that instead of it being 5-3-1-3-4-3 it'd be 4-2-0-2-3-2

I've been practining it for a while, and I'll continue to do so, though. In fact, I'll play as I wait for relpies.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
dude if youre new your only two options are practise and suicide.. if i were you id go with the latter.

seriously when i was a guitar noobie it all felt akward to me.. like sex with a german woman.

hahaha,

wow....another crazy canuck.

maybe pick an easier song?
do chromatics to build your hand strength up? (it will come with time)
just play slow, and speed it up naturally?
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
Yeah, what I've been working on actually. I've been playing easier songs (White Room, Badge, other Clapton stuff) and it's been helping with my fingerings and things. I suppose I'll just have to follow the three golden rules...

1. Practice
2. Hit moar notes.
3. Suck less.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

*EDIT* Also, off-topic, but I'm a quarter Canadian. Crazy how bass guitar threads seem to rally the maple-leafers together, eh?
Quote by top shelf

Quote by Tubyboulin