Well, i need a new amp... ive been battling between the 5150 and xxx 212 combos... since a combo SHOULD last me awhile and even for gigging. besides, full stacks are more expensive (aside from this xxx halfstack ive seen for $900... cant get that though one though).

So...

For (mostly) high gain/metal (trivium, august burns red, war of ages, besieged, as i lay dying) style metal with the searing leads, what should i go with?
I do like cleans some, by the way.

The XXX has 3 nice channels, and the 5150 has 2; a gainy rhythm channel?

What should i go with? the 5150 SHOULD be cheaper by a little bit though, right?

Ive heard the 5150 called a 'one trick pony'; so according to those who've called it that, id be pretty much stuck to metal. However, ive also read reviews and seen demonstration videos where its more versatile than that.

Help please...?
Well the 5150's lead channel is a complete beast for high gain, thats why so many have used it.

It's rhythm channel in combination with a chorus pedal should more than suffice for cleans if you need them. You don't get like Fender cleans but your standard metal cleans I would say. I'm satisfied with the clean tones I get on mine even without a chorus pedal, so.. its in the eye of the beholder I guess.

---

And if you are playing way high gain metal, don't get a XXX. Even though its a 3 channel and has a lot of gain on tap, its a brighter kind of gain than you'd get with a 5150. You could nail the tones of some of those bands with the right settings on a 5150.
See ive actually tried a xxx in a shop but not a 5150...

The xxx sounded pretty great for what i was doin (those harmonic minor runs and everything else) and had cleans id go for and a pretty cool crunch channel.

but with the 5150, id be stuck with lead for gain and rhythm for cleans. and the cleans could still go loud and not distort, eh...?

Hmm... man. tough decision. would a brighter gain necessarily be bad though?
Quote by Aus-10
See ive actually tried a xxx in a shop but not a 5150...

The xxx sounded pretty great for what i was doin (those harmonic minor runs and everything else) and had cleans id go for and a pretty cool crunch channel.

but with the 5150, id be stuck with lead for gain and rhythm for cleans. and the cleans could still go loud and not distort, eh...?

Hmm... man. tough decision. would a brighter gain necessarily be bad though?

No, but its entirely in your opinion. Compared to the distortion of a 5150, I didn't think it even compared.

Yea basically, I use my lead channel for anything with distortion and switch to the rhythm for cleans. As long as you run like a noise gate which you will definitely need with a 5150, they'll sound fine. Its an extremely loud amp, too. I can't imagine needing to turn mine over 4-5.
Depends on what you want

XXX= Bright Bee box

6505 combo= Dark, Less Bee box
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by rwalby9
No, but its entirely in your opinion. Compared to the distortion of a 5150, I didn't think it even compared.

Yea basically, I use my lead channel for anything with distortion and switch to the rhythm for cleans. As long as you run like a noise gate which you will definitely need with a 5150, they'll sound fine. Its an extremely loud amp, too. I can't imagine needing to turn mine over 4-5.

highest i've gotten was 7, it killed my friends gold fish haha
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Aus-10

For (mostly) high gain/metal (trivium, august burns red, war of ages, besieged, as i lay dying) style metal with the searing leads, what should i go with?
I do like cleans some, by the way.

I know for a fact Trivium has used 5150 before. Im pretty sure there running 6505s right now. August Burns red uses a 5150 ii (with a red plaid faceplated , pretty sweet) and ive seen videos of earlier as i lay dying playing through 5150s but this is way back.

I have one and i <3 it to death.
we must become the change we want to see.
So an XXX wouldnt get as "br00t4l" so to speak...

But it has a better range? Even though the 5150 has sommmmewhat of a decent range with supposed crap cleans is what ive gathered in my research.

I dont know >_< Now im leaning toward the 5150 for metal.
Its just that an amp with a van halen name doesnt seem like it should be able to do this.

And a 5150II is more expensive and harder to come by, yes? with better cleans but less gain

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?threadid=67434

thats a link to someone who is getting tired of his 5150... and i cant afford something like an engl stack right now
Last edited by Aus-10 at Feb 2, 2008,
the difference in gain on the II or + versions is negligible- the sliightly nicer cleans (due to more headroom from the extra preamp valve) is more noticable.
I also wouldn't call it a one trick pony at all- I've coaxed many a tone out of my 6505+ but the extra EQ helps a lot!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia