Page 1 of 2
All those dudes have used and abused the pentatonic and blues scale
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Quote by Omni-Ragnarok
All those dudes have used and abused the pentatonic and blues scale

He's right you know.
almost all guitar solos that you hear are based on a scale (not how I said almost all instead of all).

If it's a classic rock song, There's a 97% chance that they're using the pentatonic or blues scale.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Last edited by civildp1 at Feb 1, 2008,
wait I don't think Jimi Hendrix knew any kind of theory, so did he subconsciously use a pentatonic scale, without realizing it?
if you never learn scales, youll still eventually develop a natural sense of the fretboard.
youll find what notes go well with each other in the style your playing and yes quite a lot of hendrix's stuff fits into pentatonics and blues, but he always has things that arent quite right but still amazingly well written. but learn scales, at least a few so you have a basic guideline.
Quote by lpmarshall
wait I don't think Jimi Hendrix knew any kind of theory, so did he subconsciously use a pentatonic scale, without realizing it?

Sure, why not? He was influenced by blues and stuff, so when he tried to make a bluesy song he would be using the pentatonic even if he didn't know the scale. But still, it doesn't take a lot of theory to learn the pentatonic,and Jimi probably knew some theory, even if it was just basic stuff.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Quote by lpmarshall

No, he knew exactly what he was using. He used box shapes, just like every other generic blues/rock guitarist.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, he knew exactly what he was using. He used box shapes, just like every other generic blues/rock guitarist.

Unleash the focking fury, Hendrix-lovers.
Quote by webbtje
Unleash the focking fury, Hendrix-lovers.

*puts on flame-proof suit*

Hendrix was a mediocre guitarist and a decent songwriter at best. He brought his brand of blues to the mainstream, and he should get credit for that, but that's it. Hendrix worship irritates me. There are plenty of better and more "soulful" guitarists.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm with Avis here. Hendrix was great in a genre of simple instrumentation but in more technical and progressive genres (Jazz, certain kinds of metal, fusion) he wouldn't have a chance.

In any case, there's so much worship for the likes of Hendrix, Angus, ect. that being copycat to their styles won't make you unique and the inherent lack of technicality in most rock means they won't make you particularly good, either.
Study some guys who had a bit more of an inkling of what they were on about: Alex Lifeson, Tony Iommi, Joe Satriani and the like. Still "rock" guitarists but more varied and less dependent on muscle memory.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Youv got to be kidding me... joe satriani is amazing... but firstly look up the reasons why he even started playing guitar. Then watch a couple of G3 dvds... how come they're playing hendrix songs??? jeeeezus christ thats why you will always suck at guitar. have you even tried to play some of hendrix's songs? and you have to buy an official tab book for that, the tabs here arent even close.

But i do agree about muscle memory... theres A LOT OF variation in hendrix's music, no bar sounds the same as the other.
How is Hendrix different from any other blues musician that changes up the riffs?

He's distorted and fast. His songs aren't a question of technicality as much as they're an exercise in adopting his style. If you're playing a Hendrix song note-for-note, you're missing the point.
Anyway, it's not like Hendrix is the only one to alter riffs.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by lpmarshall
Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Slash, Angus Young, EVH, John Frusicante

Of COURSE they did. And they all had a sufficient grasp of theory. At least the
basics and that can go a long way.

@Avis: Wow. You're entitled to your opinion. But your assesment or understanding
of a lot of what you said is WAY off the mark.
Quote by MadassAlex
I'm with Avis here. Hendrix was great in a genre of simple instrumentation but in more technical and progressive genres (Jazz, certain kinds of metal, fusion) he wouldn't have a chance.

So? Technicality has nothing to do with musicianship. Any loser can learn to play fast and pay attention to key changes.

I'm no Hendrix fan, but if people really like his music, than who cares? Let them! Listening to Jazz or Metal doesn't mean you have superior taste or make all of your favorite musicians better than anybody else.
Hendrix is nowhere near the greatest guitarist ever. However one thing that truly sets him apart and to me makes him more than a generic bluesman is the way he combined use of scales with just using the guitar to make noise with. The sound he created with guitar combined with scales is what sets him apart and certainly at the time was pretty unique anyone looking to progressive music should look at it in addition to the purely musical side of guitar scales, intervals dissonance etc.
Quote by SheKILaDZE
Youv got to be kidding me... joe satriani is amazing... but firstly look up the reasons why he even started playing guitar. Then watch a couple of G3 dvds... how come they're playing hendrix songs??? jeeeezus christ thats why you will always suck at guitar. have you even tried to play some of hendrix's songs? and you have to buy an official tab book for that, the tabs here arent even close.

But i do agree about muscle memory... theres A LOT OF variation in hendrix's music, no bar sounds the same as the other.

Then why stop at Hendrix? Segovia is responsible for the guitar as we know it. Surely Segovia is better than Hendrix? I don't care where Satriani gets his inspiration, I only care about his skill and the music he writes. Hendrix was an innovator. That's it. As a guitarist, he was mediocre at best.

I find it interesting that you accused me of "sucking" at the guitar for no other reason than my dislike of Hendrix, despite never having heard me play. Your whole post reeks of moronic fanboyism.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Then why stop at Hendrix? Segovia is responsible for the guitar as we know it. Surely Segovia is better than Hendrix? I don't care where Satriani gets his inspiration, I only care about his skill and the music he writes. Hendrix was an innovator. That's it. As a guitarist, he was mediocre at best.

I find it interesting that you accused me of "sucking" at the guitar for no other reason than my dislike of Hendrix, despite never having heard me play. Your whole post reeks of moronic fanboyism.

i agree that hendrix is very overated how ever much i enjoy his music but he was not medicore he was better than that but hes always number one on best guitarists list and it pisses me off but hes still good, better than me
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I'm a big Jimi fan, and yes he pretty much used box patterns of the pentatonic scale with added notes.

And the "mediocre at best" comments are clearly just trolling.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Archeo Avis

im not a fan, nor do i listen to hendrix in my spare time. i simply apreciate the complexity. i was introduced to him by my teacher and i am being taught his stuff thus i realise how difficult any of his work is along with satriani (i can play quite a few satch songs) and i put them on the same rank at least, if not harder.

Im accusing you of sucking because it seems that you cannot see the level of work at hand in hendrix's music. and im also 100% certain you do not know how to play at least one hendrix song at the correct level. So please stop making such ignorant posts BEFORE finding out what hendrix really constitutes, and once you do learn a few songs by him, and still find him a mediocre at best... im gonna have to ask you for some videos

so how bout i give you a challenge, you think you can play "little wing" in a few weeks time? (sorry its my favourite, there a lot of harder stuff though) if you manage to pull this off i will bow down, kiss your feet and apologise. how does that sound?
And the "mediocre at best" comments are clearly just trolling.

You don't know what that word means.
Im accusing you of sucking because it seems that you cannot see the level of work at hand in hendrix's music. and im also 100% certain you do not know how to play at least one hendrix song at the correct level. So please stop making such ignorant posts BEFORE finding out what hendrix really constitutes, and once you do learn a few songs by him, and still find him a mediocre at best... im gonna have to ask you for some videos

You accused me of sucking at the the instrument because I don't like the same music that you do. I'm perfectly familiar with his music. It's good, but that's it. He's not God, and he most certainly isn't the greatest guitar player to ever live.

so how bout i give you a challenge, you think you can play "little wing" in a few weeks time? (sorry its my favourite, there a lot of harder stuff though) if you manage to pull this off i will bow down, kiss your feet and apologise. how does that sound?

No, for several reasons.

1) I don't like his music. This isn't to say it's bad music, I just can't stand listening to it, or blues in general.

2) Little Wing was the first song of his that I learned all the way through, which I did after seeing it performed at G3. I learned it to practice my improvisation. I most certainly don't need a week.

3) Physically impossible, unless you have a way for me to record without a guitar...or recording gear. The former being in repair (frets are ruined, I'm having a neck custom made as we speak), and the latter being several thousand miles away.

I honestly find it hilarious and pathetic that you descend into personal attacks the second Hendrix' status as a God is threatened.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Troll? You're posting comments that you know will get up peoples noses, in order to get a response... sounds like trolling to me.
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by 5kuzgib
Troll? You're posting comments that you know will get up peoples noses, in order to get a response... sounds like trolling to me.

No, I stated that Hendrix is highly overrated as a guitarist because he is. The fact that morons take this as a personal insult is beyond my control.
Quote by Archeo Avis

No. Segovia isn't responsible for the guitar as we know it. Simple as. He may have been up til the sort of period when Hendrix, Clapton, Richards, Townshend etc were coming out but before them there was no knowledge of distortion, feedback, effects pedals and within terms of mainstream guitarplaying (by which i mean guitar playing in popular music not including classical and jazz) they introduced a whole new take to improvising and song writing. If you read interviews with Vai et al they all say that Hendrix was an inspiration to them, and if you look beyond his wildman of rock stuff and look at songs like castles made of sand, littlewing, angel etc you'll see that he was capable of playing and improvising delicate beautiful rhythm guitar and perfectly phrased solos without ever being taught any kind of formal theory. And yes there are now more technically skilled guitarists around but such is the human race. We evolve. We learn from others. We push the boundaries. If you look at the advancements in learning resources from when Hendrix was growing up and learning to now learning to play guitar to a decent level is a breeze compared to how Hendrix had to learn it. Within the timezone his playing came out he was technically up there with the best of them.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Hendrix was a mediocre guitarist and a decent songwriter at best. He brought his brand of blues to the mainstream, and he should get credit for that, but that's it. Hendrix worship irritates me. There are plenty of better and more "soulful" guitarists.

you sir are a complete fool if you think that.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, I stated that Hendrix is highly overrated as a guitarist because he is. The fact that morons take this as a personal insult is beyond my control.

No, you said:

Hendrix was a mediocre guitarist and a decent songwriter at best.

Which you obviously knew would be greeted with strong disagreement, and consequently bring the thread off topic. Grats.
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by 5kuzgib

+1
Quote by 5kuzgib
No, you said:

Which you obviously knew would be greeted with strong disagreement, and consequently bring the thread off topic. Grats.

Yeah, this seems like trolling to me.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Archeo Avis

You accused me of sucking at the the instrument because I don't like the same music that you do. I'm perfectly familiar with his music. It's good, but that's it. He's not God, and he most certainly isn't the greatest guitar player to ever live.

No, for several reasons.

1) I don't like his music. This isn't to say it's bad music, I just can't stand listening to it, or blues in general.

2) Little Wing was the first song of his that I learned all the way through, which I did after seeing it performed at G3. I learned it to practice my improvisation. I most certainly don't need a week.

3) Physically impossible, unless you have a way for me to record without a guitar...or recording gear. The former being in repair (frets are ruined, I'm having a neck custom made as we speak), and the latter being several thousand miles away.

I honestly find it hilarious and pathetic that you descend into personal attacks the second Hendrix' status as a God is threatened.

In this case Im going to accuse you of being a total jackass with a big ego. Get over yourself man.

Quote by Archeo Avis

Like it or not he gets alot more credit than that so deal with it. Self worship is alot more irritating than Hendrix worship IMO.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
No. Segovia isn't responsible for the guitar as we know it. Simple as. He may have been up til the sort of period when Hendrix, Clapton, Richards, Townshend etc were coming out but before them there was no knowledge of distortion, feedback, effects pedals and within terms of mainstream guitarplaying (by which i mean guitar playing in popular music not including classical and jazz) they introduced a whole new take to improvising and song writing. If you read interviews with Vai et al they all say that Hendrix was an inspiration to them, and if you look beyond his wildman of rock stuff and look at songs like castles made of sand, littlewing, angel etc you'll see that he was capable of playing and improvising delicate beautiful rhythm guitar and perfectly phrased solos without ever being taught any kind of formal theory. And yes there are now more technically skilled guitarists around but such is the human race. We evolve. We learn from others. We push the boundaries. If you look at the advancements in learning resources from when Hendrix was growing up and learning to now learning to play guitar to a decent level is a breeze compared to how Hendrix had to learn it. Within the timezone his playing came out he was technically up there with the best of them.

Segovia was responsible for making the guitar a respected instrument. Yes, the instrument eventually evolved, which is exactly my point. It's moronic to hold Segovia up as the pinnacle of achievement when he has been long since surpassed, and the same needs to be said of Hendrix. Yes, Hendrix was an innovator. Yes, Hendrix brought his brand of blues to the mainstream. So what? He's dead now. People are taking the instrument further than it's ever been before and the rest of you are still fellating him. You hero worship him for no other reason than...he's Hendrix. A hundred years from now, when the instrument and music as a whole has been taken to brand new highs that have never been explored before, all of you will still be saying "Dude...everyone sucks compared to Hendrix". Hendrix was a good songwriter. He was a good musician. It's the hero worship that I have a problem with.

Of course, your claim that Hendrix was responsible for distortion or wah is just plain wrong. He used them in new ways, but that's it.

In this case Im going to accuse you of being a total jackass with a big ego.

Where does my ego factor into this?

Which you obviously knew would be greeted with strong disagreement

Yes, so what? I'm often met with strong disagreement when I claim that Marshall has gone downhill in recent years. Does criticizing Marshall qualify as trolling?
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Segovia was responsible for making the guitar a respected instrument. Yes, the instrument eventually evolved, which is exactly my point. It's moronic to hold Segovia up as the pinnacle of achievement when he has been long since surpassed, and the same needs to be said of Hendrix. Yes, Hendrix was an innovator. Yes, Hendrix brought his brand of blues to the mainstream. So what? He's dead now. People are taking the instrument further than it's ever been before and the rest of you are still fellating Hendrix. You hero worship him for no other reason than...he's Hendrix. A hundred years from now, when the instrument and music as a whole has been taken to brand new highs that have never been explored before, all of you will still be saying "Dude...everyone sucks compared to Hendrix".

Of course, your claim that Hendrix was responsible for distortion or wah is just plain wrong. He used them in new ways, but that's it.

Yes, so what? I'm often met with strong disagreement when I claim that Marshall has gone downhill in recent years. Does criticizing Marshall qualify as trolling?

You have to have a HUGE ego to even think something like that.

Hendrix was awesome! thats my opinion, and lot of other peoples as well. Like it or not hes an Icon, and quite deservedly.

You cant stop people from liking what he did so get over it.

to the TS:

yeah dude, they all used scales.
Quote by GuitarMunky
You have to have a HUGE ego to even think something like that.

Hendrix was awesome! thats my opinion, and lot of other peoples as well. Like it or not hes an Icon, and quite deservedly.

You cant stop people from liking what he did so get over it.

What does ego have to do with it?

Yes, he was an icon, and rightfully so. He's incredibly important in the history of the instrument. What I have a problem with is people holding him up as the absolute highest talent that one can aspire to reach.
I'm with Avis, Hendrix was good FOR HIS TIME. Now we have a hell of a lot of better guitarists.

Someone mentioned that it was harder to get good in Hendrix' time due to lack of proper instruction: The issue isn't with how hard people have worked, it's how good they've gotten.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
I'm with Avis, Hendrix was good FOR HIS TIME. Now we have a hell of a lot of better guitarists.

Someone mentioned that it was harder to get good in Hendrix' time due to lack of proper instruction: The issue isn't with how hard people have worked, it's how good they've gotten.

That's exactly my point. Hendrix is profoundly important in the history of the instrument, but it's history. We've moved on, and some people are still talking about Hendrix the same way old people talk about "well in my day...". It's not your day. We've moved on. You should too.
Segovia was responsible for making the guitar a respected instrument. Yes, the instrument eventually evolved, which is exactly my point. It's moronic to hold Segovia up as the pinnacle of achievement when he has been long since surpassed, and the same needs to be said of Hendrix. Yes, Hendrix was an innovator. Yes, Hendrix brought his brand of blues to the mainstream. So what? He's dead now. People are taking the instrument further than it's ever been before and the rest of you are still fellating him. You hero worship him for no other reason than...he's Hendrix. A hundred years from now, when the instrument and music as a whole has been taken to brand new highs that have never been explored before, all of you will still be saying "Dude...everyone sucks compared to Hendrix". Hendrix was a good songwriter. He was a good musician. It's the hero worship that I have a problem with.

No i don't hero worship him for being Hendrix. This is exactly the point you're missing. I admire him for being a huge innovator of the guitar and a guitarist with a completely unique style who was able to bring a completley new direction to guitar playing much as i admire Van Halen, Malmsteen etc. And yes we will be "fellating" Hendrix in 100 years time still because of the same reasons we are today and the reasons i have just stated. The level of advancement Hendrix and the other guitarists of the 60s brought to the guitar is a bigger leap than anything that has come since. This is why he is so well respected.

Go on then enlighten us as to where you think distortion and wah came from.

In this thread yes
Quote by Archeo Avis
What does ego have to do with it?

Yes, he was an icon, and rightfully so. He's incredibly important in the history of the instrument. What I have a problem with is people holding him up as the absolute highest talent that one can aspire to reach.

well people do that all the time. I mean how many people here worship Paul Gilbert, or Zakk Wylde. Sure its annoying, but to say those guitarists are mediocre is just plain foolish. If people want to worship those guys thats their business.

Anyway the TS just wanted to know if those guitarists used scales. I dont think he asked your opinion of how good any of them were.

Quote by LeperAffinity

absolute foolishness. People arent "better" now. There are great players now, there were great players in 1940's. Hendrix was great for ANY time, not just his.
If you dont like what he did, thats your own opinion, and your certainly entitled to it, but thats all it is.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 1, 2008,
Go on then enlighten us as to where you think distortion and wah came from.

Wah was created to mimic the sound of a muted trumpet. It was created in the mid 40's.
Distortion is harder to pinpoint, but it existed a good while before Hendrix.

I dont think he asked your opinion of how good any of them were.

Nor did I give my opinion to him. Someone stated that Hendrix didn't know any theory and likely only used the pentatonic scale out of intuition, and I replied that the minor pentatonic box shape is a fairly generic blues device and that Hendrix probably memorized the box shape just like almost every other blues and rock guitarist. It was only after I was warned of the upcoming bitch fit that I voiced my opinion on Hendrix.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
That's exactly my point. Hendrix is profoundly important in the history of the instrument, but it's history. We've moved on, and some people are still talking about Hendrix the same way old people talk about "well in my day...". It's not your day. We've moved on. You should too.

Paganini was pretty good for his time, but he's crap compared to modern musicians. Venessa May FTW!

You don't like Hendrix, fair enough. Take your soapbox elsewhere - theres no need to crap all over this guy's thread ramming it down our throats.
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by 5kuzgib
Paganini was pretty good for his time, but he's crap compared to modern musicians. Venessa May FTW!

You don't like Hendrix, fair enough. Take your soapbox elsewhere - theres no need to crap all over this guy's thread ramming it down our throats.

Who's "ramming it down your throats"? I made a single post voicing my opinion about Hendrix in response to the post of another person. What did you expect me to do when some jackass jumped in and accused me of sucking at the instrument for not liking the same music that he does? I respond when I'm personally attacked.
Page 1 of 2