Hey guys, I'm looking for a new practice amp because my crate gx15 pisses me right the F*** off... It has to be tube, low watts (bedroom levels), and have distortion good for metal (no pedals). Also having a headphone jack would be awesome. Anything that fits these requirements? price range 0-$600 (Canadian).
Jsx mini collosal
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
gawd the minicolossal is a peice.
worst sounding tube amp ever
go for a peavey valveking combo dude.
I suggest not going for a tube amp if you're only choosing to use it for practice purposes.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
I suggest not going for a tube amp if you're only choosing to use it for practice purposes.

+1 , they just dont sound as good at lower volumes, however ss amps sound really nice when you practice.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
tube amps still have a way more natural overdrive, even if its just the preamp thats being driven. and in most cases with the 100-150 watt high gain amps the power amp ISNT being driven, even at gigs.
A XXX or maybe a used 6505 combo would be just in your budget, though still far more volume than you'd need. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't sound good at bedroom volumes, though, and if you eventually do want to gig it'll be loud enough for that, unlike the minicolossal or whatever else people are suggesting.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Used Peavey 5150 is what you need. Yes it is 100 watts. Yes it is extremely loud. Yes it will sound better turned up loud, but it sounds better at low volumes than other amps at low volumes because metal is almost all preamp gain which means you don't need to crank it to sound good.
There's no way you're going to find something with that budget. To get high gain-y sounds in a practice setting I push my Valvetronix AD30VT with an OD pedal on the three high gain presets. Not the same as a tube amp, but, hey, it is as good as it gets right now.

Also, having only preamp distortion sounds horrible. I have an ENGL Blackmore that I'm going to sell because there's no way you can get the power tubes to do any work at any sort of sane volume.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Quote by peever
gawd the minicolossal is a peice.
worst sounding tube amp ever
go for a peavey valveking combo dude.

Its alot better than the vavlveking you might aswell hook up to a trash can full of crap.....
JSX Mini-Colossal was my first thought.

I still have yet to try one, but if you can get your hands on one, try out a Peavey Windsor Studio. If you do get the chance to try one out... let me know how it is.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Check out an Orange Tiny Terror you can get one for around $500 new and then just buy a small used cab on ebay.
Quote by Osiris77
Check out an Orange Tiny Terror you can get one for around $500 new and then just buy a small used cab on ebay.

tiny terror is as far as you can get from high gain, bud. it only has 2 preamp gain stages whereas high gain amps have 4,5 or 6 generally. it does crunch its second stage quite a bit but still its far from the voicing needed for metal tones
Quote by 1337void
tiny terror is as far as you can get from high gain, bud. it only has 2 preamp gain stages whereas high gain amps have 4,5 or 6 generally. it does crunch its second stage quite a bit but still its far from the voicing needed for metal tones

Aggreed. JSX Mini Collossal, or mabye an Ibanez Valbee.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
or mabye an Ibanez Valbee.

At last, someone with some sense, although Jinskee was right about tube amps for practising.

Valbee, or go down the cheap'n' cheerful road of Roland Cube 30.
I would suggest you don't get a tube amp for practice. Even the 5W Epi VJ is loud as hell.

Get a Roland Cube 30x or a Vox AD30VT-XL.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
You want a solid state amp dude. At low volumes at 2 in the morning you dont want to warm tubes up to play. Theres some GREAT sounding solid state practice amps. And they sound way better at low volume for high gain and metal music. Tube isn't always better. I tried out a tube practice amp when i was shopping for practice amps... ended up going solid state. It just sounded like crap. I went with the Kustom 16 watt. love it but its not the best. Go with the VOX XL. That thing is the best metal practice amp ive heard. The cube is great too but doesnt have the tone the XL has. Plus the XL has a tube in it.
anyone got any info on the valbee?
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

The TT may not be the ideal metal amp...but it will do some metal on it's own or with an overdrive just about any IMO. In that price range it's as good as it gets I think.

The gain is more than I ever expected and it still sound pretty good with the gain cranked and the volume moderately low on the 7 watt setting.

Demo one to form your own opinion.
^Not to mention its better than just about ever other amp suggested in this thread and what the big deal of saving an extra $50 for a pedal to do metal.......