Though I've been playing guitar for a couple years, I only recently really wanted to be a good player, so I kinda suck.

I spose I'm around intermediate level.

My amp's kinda ****ty, but my guitar is decent enough (Samick).

Anyways, the point is:

Do you need a good amp/pedal for a proper distorted sound? My amp has Overdrive settings, but the sound I get from it is pretty crappy. I dunno if it's the way I set it, or just the amp in general. Probably a mixture of both.

But I'm also kinda confused, because this guy I know just flicks the switch on his guitar and gets way better distortion than I do. Is this the way his amp/guitar work together, or just the guitar, or what? I have 3 positions I can flick mine too, but they're all pretty much clean tone with slight differences.

Sorry about the lack of guitar knowledge, but my non-existent skill is ****ting me and I have to do something about it.
What amp are you using now?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Just to let you know... You don't need distortion to get better at playing guitar. Playing without distortion would force you to become cleaner (if you want to sound proficient).

It seems like you will need to buy a pedal to achieve the distortion you want.

The guy probably has a gain boost in his guitar. Did you hear a lot of white noise when there were pauses in his playing?
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Thanks for your replies:

Aight, yeah, I'll keep up the practise regardless.

I have a Jordin amp.

And as for my friend's guitar, I don't take much notice. There could be static there, I haven't really noticed any though...
Quote by dez_cole
Just to let you know... You don't need distortion to get better at playing guitar. Playing without distortion would force you to become cleaner (if you want to sound proficient).

It seems like you will need to buy a pedal to achieve the distortion you want.

The guy probably has a gain boost in his guitar. Did you hear a lot of white noise when there were pauses in his playing?

funny, i find gain forces you to clean up your playing because the compressed sound makes mistakes louder. still, i can see where you are coming from.
Quote by dez_cole

Could be. Or he might have had a higher-output bridge pickup, or possibly was using his neck pickup on a lower volume than the bridge.

TS, a distortion pedal will most likely help. Does your guitar have humbuckers or singlecoils?
A pedal will only help a ****ty amp for a month or so, then you will have developed your ear more.