Poll: underground VS big name
Poll Options
View poll results: underground VS big name
underground
24 73%
big name
9 27%
Voters: 33.
i searched and found crap all so what do you guys "prefer" underground vs big name metal bands

there is a poll woooo but reasons would be nice too

i dont care as long as its good metal but i want to see specific choices lol
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Feb 1, 2008,
Who cares how popular they are.

That said, I'm more into the relatively big names of extreme metal, so hell.
It doesn't make you ubercool to just listen to underground music. I'll listen to whatever the hell I want, whether it be underground or big name. Looking at my choice of music, most of it is big name though.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
yea i know but i know ppl who are at both extremes im curious to see how many there are
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
yea i know but i know ppl who are at both extremes im curious to see how many there are

Most people don't go OMGZ DEY IS UNDRGRND DEY SUCKZORZ!!!1!!! in the hessian world, where the vast majority of stuff is underground.
Whatever I enjoy hearing at any given time. It doesn't matter how big a band is. From System of a Down to Within-Y, Opeth, or Insomnium.
"I am a remnant of the Forever Origin"

"The forest of October sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time hides my last trace
My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul"
Quote by webbtje
Most people don't go OMGZ DEY IS UNDRGRND DEY SUCKZORZ!!!1!!! in the hessian world, where the vast majority of stuff is underground.

i know at least 3 guys who do lol they are all pricks though one refuses to even go to see kataklysm because they are playing after too many underground bands
I am me. Live with it.
i like the underground bands better. i love alot of it, and you see alot of stuff that doesn't make mainstream. theres this band called san salvadore. mix between ska and reggae. so good.
Quote by webbtje

The term Hessian refers to the inhabitants of the German state of Hesse. In English, it often refers to eighteenth century German regiments in service with the British Empire that fought against the American colonists during the American Revolutionary War.

Hessian world? WHAT? Please explain that term as it seems as you use it rather often.

As far as the topic goes, doesn't matter as long as it is good.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
I prefer nothing but i voted big bands (first btw :O) because most of the bands i get really deep into are the bigger bands. But i listen to more of the 'nonefamous' band but the best band in my opinion are those who are the big bands.
olololololol @ that Hessian site, I love it! classic.

Um obviously almost all "Big Name Metal" started out underground, as does all true Metal. But you have to start somewhere, obviously, as far as listening to known stuff first - then going underground.

But yeah, the more obscure Music is underground, while the "Easy to listen to" stuff usually ends up in the popular light. So whatever ..
Most of my favourite bands are underground, or at least haven't reached a huge level of success. That being said, my #1 favourite band is one of the biggest names in metal.

Lots of great bands never attain much popularity, while the minority become famous, so it's a fairly easy choice; Lots of great unknown metal bands > a few well known metal bands.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
big name, where i am theres only 1 metal band...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I prefer big name metal bands (big in the metal scene) . Underground bands tend to make 1 good album and then vanish into thin air. I like consistency personally.
I like big name one (in the metal scene) aswell, they usually sound really good (Opeth, Amon Amarth, SYL, CoB, Nile, Behemoth, etc.) and most of the time they deserve the recognition they've received. But the underground stuff is good aswell...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
meh most of my fav bands I dont call underground... they're just not known its sad I'd love to talk to people 'bout em haha... big name bands havent done much for me aside Slayer and some Megadeth... and I used to love Avenged Sevenfold on the Waking the Fallen era... oh and SoaD but that I listen to constantly... pretty much the bands I found afterward ... but At the Gates' disco is teh pwn so they're one big name that cant really stay away from me, ever
let me get this straight first
undergorund as in not mainstream
or underground as in very few have heard of them or get practically no media attention?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
let me get this straight first
undergorund as in not mainstream
or underground as in very few have heard of them or get practically no media attention?

What's the difference? You can't be mainstream and not get much media attention, neither can you be super-underground and known to little kids everywhere.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by biteme398
Whatever sounds good
Popularity doesn't matter to me

generally when bands get bigger they change their sound even if its a small change. I prefer the attitude underground bands have towards their music. Its more raw and passionate. Im not saying I dont like popular bands because their popular, thats just dumb, but I think I connect more with an underground band.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Nah, i listen to everything i love, but i can't listen to mainstream stuff who plays music only for the sake of money, commercial etc
But who doesn't like Slayer, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple or Black Sabbath ? Very very big names, even non-rockers/metalheads knows about, and they've never been threated as commercial, sell outs or whatever. By the way the underground has EXCELLENT bands too ... like Nazgûl, Aes Dana, Heol Telwen, decapited, Helstar, Agent Steel etc.
BTW, what do you call big name or underground ?? Like Cynic, Celtic Frost or possessed, they're respected as hell, they're pionniers, so are they 'big names' even if no one beside metalheads heared about ??
I dont like, and pretty much detest ACDC Maiden Deep Purple, somehow I liked some, but not too much sabbath <.< catchy tunes here and there
I personally like both big names and underground, BUT, I would have to say Underground get my vote, especially over here in Australia, as they have not been caught up and changed because of mainstream yet.
Bands such as Five Star Prison Cell (Very unique), Daysend, Double Dragon, they are as good, probably better than most big name metal bands. It's a matter of opinion I guess, but there's mine.