well, first off, if ANYONE sees that i am posting this in the wrong section, please do no hesitate to point me in the right direction ,

Now to the point of my post, i recently decided i want to learn guitar,i just turned 21 a couple months ago, so i figured id get started on this while i still have a little free time and while I'm young ;P, but anyways, a friend of mine has been playing for i wanna say about 10 years now and i asked him if he was interested in teaching me and yada, yada and as far as i know he's completely cool with it, but i have NO idea where to start looking to buy a guitar, i looked at a couple websites and it was kinda like,........wtf does that mean x.x, so i know hes has 2 or 3 guitars but i want to start with something basic i don't want to start with a real expensive nice guitar and such i wanna work my way up so if anyone could give me and guitar advice where is the cheapest, what guitar should i focus on, acoustic,electric,bass and all the good noob stuff it'd be appreciated
Go to your local music store and ask for a starter pack, it comes with a beginner guitar (usually Squire brand or some other basic guitar) and an amp to practice on and they're usually pretty cheap. As you get better you can think about upgrading all your equipment. Good luck with it.
PS: Dont listen to what some people say on this forum about pickups and tone and any of that other bull****, not only will it confuse you but its also not that important considering your a beginner
Go with Jamplay, its like 40 bucks for three months, but its great
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Oh, oops sorry i misread ur question...
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
A lot of people I know say it is better to start off with an acoustic. An acoustic is harder to press down on so it thickens the skin on your fingers. Also, moving from an acoustic to electric is easier than electric to acoustic.

An electric starter pack is fine too. I started on an electric and I turned out fine. As for what guitars you should buy, just buy a guitar depending on what guitar you like to play (6 string or bass).
Cool, i suppose ill ask him if he wants to come with me or something to a store just to make sure i don't get tossed around by employees and such and get ripped off, i guess ill also look at some books too, when hes not there physically teaching me thanks guys anymore info is still appreciated
I definitely recommend just going to the guitar store. They can explain the terminology, plus you can't tell if you'll like a guitar solely based on its specs. Go and get your friend to try out the guitars, and pick what sounds best to you. Or get him to teach you a couple of chords, then go to the guitar store with him and try the guitars out yourself. What you like is more important than any advice we can give you. Okay, acoustic, electric, bass etc... a lot of people say it's better to start on an acoustic then move to electric if you want because it helps you build up finger strength, but if you really only want to play electric, that's okay as well. A lot of people also say that it's easier to move from guitar to bass than vice versa, but I haven't tried that one out and so can't help you. Starter packs are good. If you're getting an electric and not a starter pack, try your guitar with the amp you'll be buying, because different amps make a lot of difference.
wethr you want to play bass or guitar you will have to figure out by youself, ask yourself if you want to be part of the rythm or the meody section, but as for the guitar I would check out jack&danny. They make rather cheap, and mostly beginner guitars. Or look on ebay you can find noname guitar and amp sets their for around €100.

Tischler
I've been pretty happy with my Line6/Laguna starter pack

Laguna LE122 solid-body electric
Line6 Spider 3 amp
all the cords you need, some junk picks (too thick, I've since found that I like Fender thins on the advice of my bro-in-law), and extra strings
zip-up gig bag (I want a hard case or an in-wall stand)

It can be found on www.musiciansfriend.com ... just search for Laguna Ultimate Rock Pack.

Not bad for $350, all you need are a left and right arm complete with fingers.
In regards to choosing an Acoustic or Electric, the type of guitar you buy will be determined to a large extent by the type of music you want to play and the type of sound you desire. If possible, get your friend to go along with you to the guitar store and have him play both (or have salesman play for you). Choose the one YOU want to play.

What's your budget? For the most part, the more expensive the guitar, the better it will be. Since you are just starting out, I'd probably limit myself to spending no more than $500 max. I mean for getting into any kind of activity that requires a lot of practice and skill you don't want to spend too much--since you may quit/lose desire and at this point you are not exactly sure of the exact qualities that you may prefer in a guitar.

If you can give a budget, the type of music you listen to, and whether you prefer acoustic or electric, we can give you more specific recommendations in regards to guitars.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Feb 1, 2008,
i would be more into the metal type music but i mean i would start with rock and move my way up to heavy metal/death/black w/e you wanna call it and i think i MIGHT have found a good starter pack but not 100% sure maybe you guys could tell me

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-SE-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Squier-SP-10-Amp-104486238-i1177837.gc

i don't know, i -really- like the sunburst one and its within my budget im trying to avoid going over 200$ whether it be a single guitar or a starter pack, but 200$ is my limit for now :O
Bump,
Don't mean to sound like im rude or anything but is that a good starter kit?

i just looked on ebay and theres a couple good guitars (only) for about the same price just wanna get a few good amount of positive remarks on teh starter kit before i just go buy
Quote by Susa
Bump,
Don't mean to sound like im rude or anything but is that a good starter kit?

i just looked on ebay and theres a couple good guitars (only) for about the same price just wanna get a few good amount of positive remarks on teh starter kit before i just go buy

Kina funny and off topic, but I just wrote an article on choosing your first guitar (best guitars for beginners). The pack you mentioned is perfectly fine, but keep in mind that any amp you get with a starter pack isn't going to be fantastic. Good enough to start off with though - yes. Personally, I like the Epiphone Les Paul Special II Player Pack as a starter pack instead.

Since you're starting off buying a used one might be a good as well.

Sorry that that probably didn't help. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about which starter pack is better - many are very similar.
yeah i suggest trying to put another 100 bucks into it and get a roland micro cube or vox da5 with a guitar ..add cable , and strap - picks and you might be more pleased ... the amp makes a huge part of the Tone you receive ... and these amps are easier to get sweet tones out of...they also can run on battery so you can play anywhere you want
heres what alot of people say is a good guitar ...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC012-Electric-Guitar?sku=511076X

and for amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

Roland is apparently more for rock and metal type stuff ... it also has a built in tuner .. have not ever tried it.. or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

the guitar is blemished ... usually means theres a little imperfection or somethin ... i got my guitar blemished and it had some gunk on the fretboard i cleaned off with a q-tip ... a small ink blot near the fretboard where its impossible to see .. and a couple invisible scratched you can only see in the light.. also i own the Da5 ... its a nice little practice amp
Last edited by GoldenTrees at Feb 1, 2008,
this also looked very interesting ... dont know anything about the quality (never played) but it looks like a great deal...make sure to look at the blue image - the pink is very feminine iced blue looks better ... seems like a really good value .. looks actually kinda tiight as well.. but it has the name daisy rock on the headstock so you might have to be a real man to rock it =0

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Daisy-Rock-Stardust-RetroH-Electric-Guitar?sku=514886

Last edited by GoldenTrees at Feb 1, 2008,