hey guys,
is 2 weeks a good amount of time for strings to last.. i bend the crap out of them and im wondering if thats the reason my intonation goes out after a while
I go for 2 months until I replace them.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
i replace mine every 2 or 3 weeks, but they should last months [without breaking]... they lose brightness and tone after a while though
I only replace my strings once every 6 months. It's because I'm not doing any real gigs right now, just practice and stuff for my school b-ball games so I don't care about losing tone/brightness. Once I get back into real gigs, maybe I'll change them once a month or so.
yeh i dont care about brightness/tone as much i just want my strings to stay intonated. My thin E string has gone out 15/10 cents. Is that normal? (also a guitar tech told me if u bend alot your intonation goes out because different parts of the string have been worn out than others)
Last edited by striker327 at Feb 1, 2008,
Bending might alter the intonation, as the strings stretch. I would have thought changing them too often would be a more likely cause of intonation changes. Also changing the gauge could be a risk. One guy I know says if you play about 2 hours every day, change them every month. Obviously if you have a heavy playing style, I'd change more often.
why could changing string gauge be a risk? well might be.. my guitar is setup for 11s but i use 12s in Eb
Eh... Herse a noobie question for ya!: What the heck is intonation good for, and how do I notice it? As if kepping the damnthing in tune wasnt hard enough you people comes up with a stupid word like "intonation"

How do you hear somthing like that? And can i adjust it myself?
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
DR high voltage strings, the dimebag ones, are the best I've ever played, they're factory treated with stringlife and they're designed to be bent loads. I've had some on my strat for over a year now and they're only just starting to lose their shine

intonation is to keep the strings in tune when you play high frets, you need a well trained ear to tell the difference unless its very bad. to set it you need a good quality tuner and a lot of patience.
read a proper guide before you do it, but you tune the string, fret the string at the 12th fret and play the string, if its too high the string needs to be a bit longer, if its too low it needs to be a bit shorter, how you adjust it depends on the bridge on your guitar
Oh! that doesnt sound all that bad. (it is pretty bad but still) Just my kind of thing
I can use ha whole day messing arround with tiny stuff. Just like work (locksmith)
Harmonics or the "real" 12th fret? and what do you mean "good quality" tuner. NASA-good or 10$(ish)-good?

And how long, typically does a fairly good guitar stay intonated? Years? months? Decades?
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
the real 12th fret. I think about a $20 tuner or more would be alright,
intonation should last until you change to a different string gauge or change the height (action) of the strings. it might change if the guitars environment changes much, like humidity, but it would go back to normal when conditions change back
So lets say hypothetacly Id took the strings off and unscrewd everything to clean the guitar and screwing it back into place roughly it would be very slim chances of getting back to the way it sould be...
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
id say check intonation every time you change strings. wow something odd happened! my intonation on the E string has now gone sharp when it was flat just before. (saddles haven't moved)
WHY STRING GAUGE ALTERS INTONATION: (I think!)

If the guitar is set up for 9's, and you put 12's on it (hypothetically speaking) you will have to alter the intonation. This is because the distance from the nut to the bridge is set so that when you hit the 12th fret you get the same note an octave higher. If you then put 12's on it, the overall length of the string will be the same, but as it is larger, it will naturally vibrate slower. This is overcome when tuning the string by making it tighter, to make it vibrate at the same frequency. However when striking the 12th fret, the length of the string is changed again and the note will tend to be slightly flat. You might be thinking that the extra tension in the string would correct this too, but it doesn't. Remember, all this is on a really small scale, and it's very hard to hear, but a good tuner will pick it up.

Sorry it's a bit of a speech, but I hope this clears up a few misunderstandings.
Last edited by Mr E at Feb 1, 2008,
I change mine when they have lost their brightness, and it depends on what strings I am using. I remember the Ernie Balls breaking all the freakin time so those never went out, but the Blue Steels went out after I suppose a month or month and a half. On the other hand, I have GHS Boomers on now and its been about a solid 5 weeks or so of 1-5 hour days (I suppose an average of 2 hours a day) and they are still sounding pretty good. I my intonation is off too, I'm not too worried about it though. For the time being I am just playing for technique and personal enjoyment so I dont mind if it sounds a bit on the bad side. Once I get the Ibanez though, I am going to sit down one day and really go to town getting it to sound good.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
I replace my strings like, once every six months? One of my guitars has had the same strings on now for about a year and a half. My bass has never had it's strings changed. Never had an intonation problem, never had a string break, never had tuning troubles.

They last just fine and old strings give a far more pleasing tone than brand new strings, I find. I say, leave them on until you absolutely have to change them.
it depends on how often you play. but a month or 2 is a reasonable time for strings to last.
Quote by Mr E
WHY STRING GAUGE ALTERS INTONATION: (I think!)

If the guitar is set up for 9's, and you put 12's on it (hypothetically speaking) you will have to alter the intonation. This is because the distance from the nut to the bridge is set so that when you hit the 12th fret you get the same note an octave higher. If you then put 12's on it, the overall length of the string will be the same, but as it is larger, it will naturally vibrate slower. This is overcome when tuning the string by making it tighter, to make it vibrate at the same frequency. However when striking the 12th fret, the length of the string is changed again and the note will tend to be slightly flat. You might be thinking that the extra tension in the string would correct this too, but it doesn't. Remember, all this is on a really small scale, and it's very hard to hear, but a good tuner will pick it up.

Sorry it's a bit of a speech, but I hope this clears up a few misunderstandings.

Wait so your saying that the intonation will change all the time but its not really noticeable?

Thanx for posting guys
i change them every 6 weeks
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
I'm a noob that just changed my first set. I still had the originals on my Ibanez after over 6 months. I was playing it earlier this week and noticed a flat sound all around. From now on I will be on top of it. I figure 4 - 8 weeks a set and I will be happy.

I also moved up to 10-46 which I am happy I did. My practice today was so much more productive as my fingers glided much easier over the strings also.

Intonation question. I've heard the play at the 12th fret but I also was told by someone to only lightly touch it at the 12th (not completely fret it). Anyone else hear that? My tuner shows it fine with the light touch otherwise I will need to adjust some.
think i found prob... it may seem that the whole string might not be worn in properly and that could of been the intonation prob.. seems that its fixed itself... so maybe bare that one in mind if it happens to you

^ ok well that didnt last long... its screwed again. I'm stumped
Last edited by striker327 at Feb 2, 2008,
bump: god this intonation thing is annoying i cant think of anything else that would be the prob apart from my playing style.. I'm kind of a SRV copy so maybe the big bends would shorten the life of the string. any suggestions
2 weeks before the thin strings snap, a month before the thick ones tho..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Whats the best strings for the brightness of tone to last, my Diddarios brightness is lost in a week due to sweating etc...
I heard that the coloured DR strings are good for the lasting tone but luck wierd when the colour comes of the picking area?
/CENTER]
elixirs.... i dunno maybe my ears are to sensitive for this whole situation.... I give up
Last edited by striker327 at Feb 3, 2008,