Page 1 of 2
Hi UG,

I want to share my experiences with you about the art you all have mastered since the age of one: walking. Despite being bipedal creatures, we have become too accustomed to the conveniences of faster modes of transportation, i.e. bicycles, cars, etc. Using those means, you rarely have time to think about yourself and everything else that surrounds you. Sure, blasting music in your car on a drive feels good, but can you think deeply during that time? No. You have to keep your eyes on the road and you can't zone out.

I don't know about you, but I am always in constant thought throughout the day and whatever stresses I accumulate during the day don't just suddenly disappear. Listening to music always helps, but it doesn't relieve it fully.

Coming to what I actually want to say... as I have found over the last couple of years, going for a good long walk after a long/sad/tiresome/stressful day can do so much for you. You don't have to forget about everything. Just keep walking, and things tend to resolve themselves. You have nothing to concentrate on but whatever is on your mind, and walk long enough, and you'll be relaxed enough to figure something out to relieve you of whatever made your day bad. By the time you come back, you will feel like a much better person. I promise you.

I find that the best time to go for these introspective walks is around midnight. I throw on my headphones and listen to some music and just walk till I feel better.

So I urge you UG, go take a walk.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
To hell with this thread. I'm going to go warm myself up a piece of pizza.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I walk all the time and yes, it is a great way to calm down. Actually, my Human resources prof was telling us that it is the best way to separate certain parts of your life from others (work/school from home for example). I do like to have a smokey treat when I do it though.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by terrencemaddox
I walk all the time and yes, it is a great way to calm down. Actually, my Human resources prof was telling us that it is the best way to separate certain parts of your life from others (work/school from home for example). I do like to have a smokey treat when I do it though.

Yeah, I find that it helps me organize my thoughts a lot. That itself can lead to a much happier person.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Yeah, I find that it helps me organize my thoughts a lot. That itself can lead to a much happier person.

Yeah man, it always works for me.

BTW, what's shakin man?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

A walk does good in a nice park, an area with lots of flora and natural scenery.
A walk does horrors in a town area, where buildings tower over you, where the skies are grey of rain, the cars make air smell bad, the wide open areas replaced with malls, an area where there are NO GIRLS.
HI GUYS!
Quote by Jackolas
Luckily for me I walk 5 miles a day.

That's tight. Why do you walk that much? After tonight's walk, I'm considering walking to college every day. I live 2 1/2 miles away from the campus, and it's a perfect way to listen to new music while appreciating nature (I get to walk by a bunch of cool trees and farms) and thinking about stuff.

Quote by terrencemaddox
Yeah man, it always works for me.

BTW, what's shakin man?

Meh, nothing much. I've been feeling pretty lonely lately and I've had my eye on a girl I like, but she may be taken and even if she is not, I don't know how much she would enjoy me as a companion. I was thinking about that on tonight's walk. Other than that, everything is dandy. I like all of my classes this quarter except Math. Horrible Chinese teacher who can't teach properly, and the book is super boring. I'm taking Music Theory, and I'm enjoying it fully.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I prefer to ride to be fair. But then its less painful then walking for me.
For me; Riding > All
Plus I can get to my favourite place to sit and think on a bike, but can't walking.
Horses for courses.
Nice dig at people in weel chairs.

I see what you did there you horrible person
UG's Yellow Ranger

Quote by Serideth
Nice dig at people in weel chairs.

I see what you did there you horrible person

I feel terrible. Sorry.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Meh, nothing much. I've been feeling pretty lonely lately and I've had my eye on a girl I like, but she may be taken and even if she is not, I don't know how much she would enjoy me as a companion. I was thinking about that on tonight's walk. Other than that, everything is dandy. I like all of my classes this quarter except Math. Horrible Chinese teacher who can't teach properly, and the book is super boring. I'm taking Music Theory, and I'm enjoying it fully.

I had one of them last year, I turned up to 2 lectures by him all semester. Couldn't understand the bastard for ****. "Herro zish is how say dat softwaah enjaneerang we will rook at dah how say dat softwaah process moodoos today"
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
When I was a teenager, I had to go out and walk every day, for miles. I had so much **** in my head. But now, life is less thought, more routine. It's nice, not always having to think so hard, just going with the flow. I should probably still walk though.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by darkstar2466

I've been in the same position ever since last semester. However, that lady would be lucky to have you

Also (about walking) I would enjoy it more if I could actually converse with others (they are always on their cell).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by Snakexe
I had one of them last year, I turned up to 2 lectures by him all semester. Couldn't understand the bastard for ****. "Herro zish is how say dat softwaah enjaneerang we will rook at dah how say dat softwaah process moodoos today"

This one's accent is not bad as one I had last spring where she would call theta lambda and when she talked about line integrals, etc. she would say "smaa ectangoo" for "small rectangle" and so forth... This quarter, the prof is intolerable. I can't stand her lectures, as they are boring beyond belief because she sucks balls at explaining differential equations and all she is is a regurgitating textbook.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
That's tight. Why do you walk that much? After tonight's walk, I'm considering walking to college every day. I live 2 1/2 miles away from the campus, and it's a perfect way to listen to new music while appreciating nature (I get to walk by a bunch of cool trees and farms) and thinking about stuff.

Sounds good - I'd trial that a few times and see how it works out!

I walk about a mile to the train station, then at least a mile and a half from the station to my college. Then of course I repeat this for the way back.

I do this as I don't drive, and don't want to use the bus. I also don't want to have to rely on people for lifts. Though I do sometimes get lifts back as all the walking adds up.

I recommend you try it as it can be fun, keeps you in (very) good shape and you can listen to alot of music and really focus, or phase out.

Down sides are of course you can work up a bit of a sweat and you may not want to do it every day, but if you have the choice I'd say yes.
Quote by darkstar2466
This one's accent is not bad as one I had last spring where she would call theta lambda and when she talked about line integrals, etc. she would say "smaa ectangoo" for "small rectangle" and so forth... This quarter, the prof is intolerable. I can't stand her lectures, as they are boring beyond belief because she sucks balls at explaining differential equations and all she is is a regurgitating textbook.

Oh yeah the ones who just read out from a text book, or just read the slideshow verbatim piss me right off. I just think they've wasted an hour of my life as it'd probably take me 5 minutes to read through what they've just gone over.

Anyway on topic, walks kick ass. Unfortunately my house at uni is on a giant hill so the walks aren't very relaxing. I do like to go for a little stroll on campus though.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
yeah walking really does help
when one of my cousins died i just went for a walk for hours
that way, when i got back home, i didnt take my anger and grief out on my family

it really does help
Last edited by leafy at Feb 1, 2008,
Before I had a car, my friend and I use to bike everywhere, probably 5 miles a day, and even in cold weather. All that changed with cars but obviously the opportunity to walk/bike is still there and I should take advantage of that.
Walking around randomly having no idea where you're going, at dusk/night, listening to some kind of epic metal = win.

I feel like a douchebag if I walk in time to the music though.
Quote by terrencemaddox
I've been in the same position ever since last semester. However, that lady would be lucky to have you

Also (about walking) I would enjoy it more if I could actually converse with others (they are always on their cell).

I am far too humble, nice, straightforward, and quiet of a person for most girls to appreciate. I also don't like the idea of going to parties to get super drunk FOR getting laid. Sometimes I think I should just change my ways and start being a general asshole so I can be more badass and girls do flock to the badass and authoritative. But that's not me and I don't want to change my ways.

These are the kinds of things I think about when I go for long walks. And I usually go out in the night, past midnight, and all of my roommates sleep around midnight or so. I have no one to walk with; I fly solo.

Quote by whalepudding
I feel like a douchebag if I walk in time to the music though.

I do that a lot, then I realize "hey man, you are walking in time to the music. you are lame." My pace then changes to not walk in time.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I am far too humble, nice, straightforward, and quiet of a person for most girls to appreciate. I also don't like the idea of going to parties to get super drunk FOR getting laid. Sometimes I think I should just change my ways and start being a general asshole so I can be more badass and girls do flock to the badass and authoritative. But that's not me and I don't want to change my ways.

These are the kinds of things I think about when I go for long walks. And I usually go out in the night, past midnight, and all of my roommates sleep around midnight or so. I have no one to walk with; I fly solo.

People like you always end up with the hottest, nicest girlfriends in the end.

Haha, sometimes when we're all really drunk me and my housemates will go on a walk around the block in the early hours. It's good fun.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
Quote by darkstar2466

Dude, you and I are so very similar
Everyone at my school is too busy getting pissed on the weekends and getting action
But there's no way I'm going to change myself completely just for getting with some drunk stranger every saturday night
Seriously man, its good to know there is someone else who thinks like me.

Good on you.
Quote by leafy
Dude, you and I are so very similar
Everyone at my school is too busy getting pissed on the weekends and getting action
But there's no way I'm going to change myself completely just for getting with some drunk stranger every saturday night
Seriously man, its good to know there is someone else who thinks like me.

Good on you.

im the same as well.i just cant be that much of an arsehole. ****, ieven buy random ppl presents if i think thjeyll like it, so being a twat is hard for me.
Quote by darkstar2466

I still don't think you should change a thing...plus you're hawt.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Oh and just so you know guys, you can drink and not have sex with random people, it is allowed
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
I just think about **** when I'm about to go to sleep... That's why it takes me like an hour to get to sleep

+ I'm fat so walking a lot gives me itchy insides of my legs.
Quote by darkstar2466

I do that a lot, then I realize "hey man, you are walking in time to the music. you are lame." My pace then changes to not walk in time.

Phew, there are other people of integrity out there!
Quote by Demonology
I just think about **** when I'm about to go to sleep... That's why it takes me like an hour to get to sleep

+ I'm fat so walking a lot gives me itchy insides of my legs.

There's nothing that says fat people can't go for nice walks. Do it long enough, and you'll lose weight and it will be motivation for you to get in shape.

Quote by terrencemaddox
I still don't think you should change a thing...

Yeah, that's what I tell myself, but it hasn't produced any results. Meh, after being lonely for so long, you really long for love and companionship.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
There's nothing that says fat people can't go for nice walks. Do it long enough, and you'll lose weight and it will be motivation for you to get in shape.

Fine, fine, if I wear really loose pants I can...

But now there's another problem...

Fear of the dark...

Fear of the dark!

I have a phobia that someone's always there!
Quote by Demonology

Fear of the dark...

Fear of the dark!

I am the man who walks alone...
Quote by Snakexe
Oh and just so you know guys, you can drink and not have sex with random people, it is allowed

I'm not saying its wrong.
I'm just saying that it's not my way of life, and I was happy that other people felt the same way.
Quote by Demonology

Fear of the dark...

Fear of the dark!

In the dark, you will encounter the most evil of creatures: yourself. Unless if you live in a horrible neighborhood where you get jumped, you shouldn't be afraid to go out alone at night and stroll around and stargaze etc.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Walking FTW.

mp3 player, half hour walk, lost in your thoughts. Brilliant.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by darkstar2466
In the dark, you will encounter the most evil of creatures: yourself. Unless if you live in a horrible neighborhood where you get jumped, you shouldn't be afraid to go out alone at night and stroll around and stargaze etc.

Haha yeah I was just joking :P

Hmm, maybe I should walk up to my 24/7 Safeway and do shopping at midnight :P
I walk everywere that I can (I cant to school because its a 30 minute drive away). But I walk to the shops, I walk to the park, I walk for the sake of walking. It does make me feel better.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Walking FTW.

mp3 player, half hour walk, lost in your thoughts. Brilliant.

The best part.

Quote by Demonology
Haha yeah I was just joking :P

Hmm, maybe I should walk up to my 24/7 Safeway and do shopping at midnight :P

That's a great idea. I live about 2 miles away from a Safeway. I should walk there and help myself to a drink of choice when everyone is asleep.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2