We all know basses are y'know.. bigger than guitars, and harder to do moves with...

Does anyone have any sweet tricks?

I often throw my bass up whilst still fretting a note, swinging my body back, then coming back down and throwing the bass behind me essentially and back and forth..

Or if theres a whole bunch of open notes I hold my bass up by the headstock, thats fun...

Post yours bros lol
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
dance on the bass drum lol
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Nothing too impressive. If I'm throwing out some sustained notes, I'll hold the bass at arm's length away from my body and hold the fret with my whole hand. Just kind of... I don't know, looks powerful or something. Also, tilting the whole thing to the right, where the headstock is like by my right shoulder, and so bass is facing the ground. That's good for emphasizing cool licks while keeping pretty good control of the frets.

I'm not a throwing or spinning kind of guy, I admit.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I usually leave that sort of stuff to the guitarist and singer.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Balancing the Bass upside down on your hand in the start of a gig can get the crowd going at the right atmosphere.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
You always gotta be moving in some way or another!

Whether its just bobbing your head or jumping around, just mvoe to the music. The audience likes to see bands moving and that. Far too many young bands just stand there, stare at their fretboards and look glum. The audience can feel this and turn off.

Find whatever youre comfortable with and do it!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i play my bass and i play it well, its a great trick.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Go with the flow and play with the music. Screw the tricks, do some awesome bass-lines.
Agreed. Play well, walk around stage, trade licks and groove facing the bass drum. Nothing more is required.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I dance alot, which is something a lot of bassists do because they can't help it. Other than that, not so much.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I just walk around and groove (or headbang when it's called for), mouth some words at random lyrics, bob my head and whatnot. Sometimes my guitarist and I make eye contact and make faces and gestures to keep up the morale. And I hang around the drummer to keep company, I mean that's what a bass player does anyway. Unless you're floating in the air playing a solo.
I occasionally flip mine. But I'm only 5'8" and the head stock comes real close to smashing into the ground.
ok when doing flips/tricks ect. I'm assuming strap locks are needed, but do any of you just go without? And secondly does the material of your strap make a difference as to how you can flip it?
Yeah i'm a big fan of not making myself potentially look like a fool
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
i pull the strings like herman li from dragonforce (but he's doing it with his tremolo)
i dance. and thats about it. and i go crazy depending on my mood
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by coolbassplyr09
ok when doing flips/tricks ect. I'm assuming strap locks are needed, but do any of you just go without? And secondly does the material of your strap make a difference as to how you can flip it?

Yeah you need a smoother material strap to do it, kinda liek a seat belt..

I have one strap lock, on the back..
Quote by hightension01

Tell her

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Jerk it off when you're not playing.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
I dance alot, which is something a lot of bassists do because they can't help it. Other than that, not so much.

Ha, "because they can't help it" is probably the best way to sum it up, good sir. Just made me smile when I read that, because I thought about it and... man... I really CAN'T help it!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
About the only playing trick I use is tap harmonics, but nothing much fancier than that (slapping, tapping, the like.)

Stage presence-wise, though, I've got ADD or something. I can never stand still, even if it's in slower songs. It's not even really about being noticed or getting the crowd going, especially in slow worship songs, it's just how I keep rhythm.
Quote by FbSa
I spin my upright....

Fail...

That isn't a fail, spinning is one of the coolest things ever
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I always end up screaming **** like "COME ON YOU MUTHAFUKAS!!" at people in the crowd, even if they're my friends and family...

EDIT: and that s not cause we suck ass
I slap it with my ****.

Oh yes, I do.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by coolbassplyr09

I;m a cheapskate,I just use those little plastic straplocks, they cost like £1. Having said that, I don't swing it above my head or anything.
I tried to spin my bass around on the strap. I almost broke my nose when it hit me in the face.
if you need a vibrato on a sustaining note shake the body of the bass instead of jsut like bending the string back and fourth

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by WhyLater
Ha, "because they can't help it" is probably the best way to sum it up, good sir. Just made me smile when I read that, because I thought about it and... man... I really CAN'T help it!

what if they strapped someone to the chair so they could move when they were playing the bass and they had to play and they couldnt move... and they were playing really funky/rock/whatever they want to dance to most music. what would happen?
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
running around in circles and some ridiculous head banging works
I am me. Live with it.
with strap locks, (obviously) I sometimes just do the unoriginal throw it over your back trick before the start of a song.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I'm scared to do those tricks cause i'm playin an antique and I don't wanna mess it up.
Somtimes I smack the body so make the strings rattle.. Give kind of a feed back sound.. I do it in intros to look hardcore

It never works..
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
^lol it never works ay.

I tried doing that a few times, later on my friend was like 'wtf were you doing hitting your bass?'
Quote by hightension01

Tell her

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Just mainly headbanging. That and Im trying to get jumping off my combo down (hard to practice in a f*cking mobile home...). Thinking about starting to walk to the end of the stage or sitting on the edge to get closer to the crowd though Id like to get a wireless before doing that.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/